Cutting Stock Springs?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Cutting Stock Springs? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I have a 2012 Coupe. I recently had the Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs installed by a dealer. Although it is ...
    sunsalem is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V BR Coupe

Cutting Stock Springs?

I have a 2012 Coupe. I recently had the Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs installed by a dealer. Although it is a bit too stiff for everyday driving, the Eibach kit lowers the car to its "correct" height (IMO) and I love the way it now looks. Unfortunately, the springs squeak and local dealers are unwilling or unable to do anything about. I have decided it is probably best to remove the Eibachs and re-install the stockers. I am wondering if I can have the stock springs cut to reduce drive height (as the Eibachs do)? If it can be done, can or would a dealer do this? Would this cause any problems with the rest of suspension system? Can anyone give me some advice on this situation? Thanx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dqw1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Re: Cutting Stock Springs?

I had my Eibachs installed earlier this week and they also have the noise I was warned about. The installers knew nothing about any kind of cutting so I have them installed per the instructions. I have to take mine somewhere to get the bump stops cut and dust cap removed. There is a thread somewhere with one guy cutting the stock springs. Not sure if it was on this forum or the other one. You would have to ask your SW if they would cut the stock springs but try to find some place experienced with suspension systems first.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    You can really cut any spring but in doing so most likely you will screw with the geometry in the play since some coils and their location will affect the ride differently when they are removed. We did this a ton in high school and boy did our ride suffer! Just do your research, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by dqw1 View Post
    I had my Eibachs installed earlier this week and they also have the noise I was warned about. The installers knew nothing about any kind of cutting so I have them installed per the instructions. I have to take mine somewhere to get the bump stops cut and dust cap removed.
    Supposedly, with the Eibachs cutting bump stops or removing dust covers are unnecessary.

----------

Boosted2000si is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 10 CTSV

Cut the stock springs all you want. They are linear.
    Do not cut the eibachs progressive springs.

Quote Originally Posted by sunsalem View Post
    Supposedly, with the Eibachs cutting bump stops or removing dust covers are unnecessary.

----------

I have some noise but I don't plan on cutting the springs.

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

I thought the Eibachs came with sleeves that go on the coils of the spring to stop the squeaking.

No sleeves came with mine. Just need to find a place that can figure this out. Eibach needs to revisit this because almost everyone has had noise until they removed the dust covers and cut the bump stops, the instructions says do not cut the bump stops!

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted2000si View Post
    I cut the backs 1/4 on one side, and 1/2 on the other, and it gave it a nice lowered look and I track race it also. I've had zero issues in over two years and they look stock so don't set any visual alarms off either.

SilverrV is offline Cadillac Owners Member

no dealer would ever cut the stock spring or bump stop imo. they are liable for any damages or problems. better off seeking a suspension shop. I found a truck repair shop that specializes in this.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverrV View Post
    no dealer would ever cut the stock spring or bump stop imo. they are liable for any damages or problems. better off seeking a suspension shop. I found a truck repair shop that specializes in this.
    Mine wouldn't even cut the Eibachs or anything else so I think you are correct at least in my situation.

daowens is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Check out Mighty Mouse on another forum that I can't name. He cut his stock springs and has no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted2000si View Post
    I don't plan to cut the Eibachs, just the stockers.

Quote Originally Posted by DCV View Post
    I thought the Eibachs came with sleeves that go on the coils of the spring to stop the squeaking.
    Many of the first run of Eibach kits do not have the rubber sleeves. Eibach only found out about the squeaking after getting complaints from customers. They then came out with these rubber sleeves (which are free if you call them). Unfortunately, there is no written instructions on how to install them. I had them "installed" by a suspension shop and it has done nothing to stop the horrible squeaking. Where I live (Oregon) there are apparently, VERY few, if any pro shops who will take the necessary time to get the installation right.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.