Carpet Defect Dilema - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Carpet Defect Dilema in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; My carpet issue in my "12 is on the right side of the driver's footwell. It appears that the carpet ...
    khoeysr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 V Coupe Crystal Red/Ebony

Re: Carpet Defect Dilema

My carpet issue in my "12 is on the right side of the driver's footwell. It appears that the carpet is too short and doesn't tuck up into the trim on the bottom of the dash/trim. I didn't notice it right away and it doesn't cause a problem other than offending my sensibilities.

jraVegas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

Pics. Actually, the fix didnt hold like i thought it would. However, it is "better." The original bulge looked a hunchback on a 70 y/o lunch lady.
    http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/...psb97e9317.jpg

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/...psaf4b0e62.jpg

Chosenone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS V

+1 for the exact same issue with my 09. Nobody else will ever see, but since I can see it its very irritating. Yeah can flex push in on the flexed out part and it looks fine, as soon as you let go it goes right back to the hunchback. That must be some super duper industrial velcro. My experience using velcro to hold stuff like this never seems to work. As soon as it gets hot inside the car it always comes unstuck from the hard surface.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed View Post
    First post! This ought go be good. Welcome, sir! (Sits back and grabs the popcorn)
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Welcome!

I'm gonna enjoy this...
    i hope we don't have to wait 3-4 years for the next post like we did for the first one
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Club Malibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V, White, Manual, Bone stock, no sun-roof

Quote Originally Posted by jraVegas View Post
    Pics. Actually, the fix didnt hold like i thought it would. However, it is "better." The original bulge looked a hunchback on a 70 y/o lunch lady.
    http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/...psb97e9317.jpg

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/...psaf4b0e62.jpg

Those pics are EXACTLY what happened to my car. I think when they were building it, they forgot a step of securing the carpet. Give me about a week and I will post pics of my fix.

What I did, I pulled up the plastic molding to expose the ground stud, I think it was a 10mm bolt securing a copper tab with a wire connected to it. The tab was about an inch and a half long with a point at the end pointing towards the right. I measured and then cut a 1/2" vertical slot in the carpet. I removed the 10mm bolt to have the tab free. I bent the tab through the carpet and then folded down the tab. Then pulled the tab with wire real tight towards the mounting hole and then installed the 10mm bolt. Carpet is super tight. I think this is how it is supposed to be from the factory.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Pics please!

dennych is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

anyone have pics of the issue? For some reason I haven't noticed it at all on mine O.o

Quote Originally Posted by dennych View Post
    anyone have pics of the issue? For some reason I haven't noticed it at all on mine O.o
    I'm on travel. Back on April 26th and recover from some serious jetlag. Will try to post pics on April 28th.

CTS-V Dragon Wagon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Club Malibu View Post
    I'm on travel. Back on April 26th and recover from some serious jetlag. Will try to post pics on April 28th.
    I'd be interested to know if anyone has had any success in getting Cadillac to fix the carpet, "hunchback", issue successfully via warranty.

Attachment 107603
    Attachment 107604

Here is what I did to fix the "hunchback" carpet defect. I did this the first week since I had the car, it's been 16K miles and 3 years and it's still rock solid.

I had to make a 1/2" vertical slit with an X-Acto knife in the carpet. The copper tab that is on the right from the bolt extends about an inch and a quarter and had a pointed end to it. I bent the copper tab a little more than 90 degrees. (Maybe around 120-145 degrees) to hook into the slit I made in the carpet. I did this with the bolt out. Then I pulled the carpet real tight and then inserted the bolt.

I did a lot of measuring and double-checking and I got it right on the first try.

I do not know how this is supposed to be at the factory. I am not sure if indeed this is the correct way. But this is what is working for me.

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Doesn't that increase the resistance from the ground wire to the chassis?

CTS-V Dragon Wagon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon

Has anyone taken their V into the dealer and asked this carpet defect to be repaired?

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

Doesn't that increase the resistance from the ground wire to the chassis?
    No, the bolt goes into the door sill itself to make contact. Notice that the sill is painted so the copper tag does not seem to do much. Whats weird is that one connector is crimped and soldered, but the other one is not...just crimped. Me being anal, I would get an iron and solder that other one.

dccaddyv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by CTS-V Dragon Wagon
    Has anyone taken their V into the dealer and asked this carpet defect to be repaired?
    Yes and they ordered me a new carpet.

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

If the hamfisted dealer pulls your center console to R&R carpet, good luck with it a) being in good shape afterward and b) not squeaking and creeking like hell from now until the day you sell the car....

Same probably goes for the seats.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.