Anyone upgraded the sound system in their V?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Anyone upgraded the sound system in their V? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So to change things a bit i drove my 2006 BMW 330i today which has the Logic 7 sound system ...
    mrkool is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, Harley VROD (Night Rod)

Anyone upgraded the sound system in their V?

So to change things a bit i drove my 2006 BMW 330i today which has the Logic 7 sound system and it sounded so much better. Has any one upgraded the speakers in the V to see if the sound gets any better?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hulksdaddy is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): <-----"Hulk" 2000-2012...He will always be missed :-(

Re: Anyone upgraded the sound system in their V?

I'd have to upgrade my ears first.

pat2t2f is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I Would think the speakers are matched to the stereo so that one change alone won't help. I would also think you can't change the sound system because its intertwined with the nav system.

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

You can upgrade speakers regardless of head unit and NAV integration, you just can't go crazy with them (ie keeping roughtly the same specs on the new speakers).

OEM speakers are not exactly known for fidelity in most cars, so IMHO upgrading to aftermarkets can give you a little more definition. But I'll leave it up to the audiophiles to chime in for details.

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

*watches with interest*

I have a feeling I'm going to need a new amp and speakers in the V wagon.

mrkool is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, Harley VROD (Night Rod)

All i am saying is the factory sound system in my 2006 BMW sounds better than my 2012 CTS-V. I have heard the sound system in the BMW M5 ( i know it is 110K car) but the B&O sound system in that thing is amazing. I don't want to change much i just want a little more sharpness and not too much boom

JKG
    JKG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I tried to work upgrading the Bose system in my 08 corvette. upgrading the speakers was a waste of time and money because the factory radio and amp sent only certain frequencies to various speakers. anyway, the bottom line is, that customizing a GM Bose system might be a lot harder than necessary. I dont have a V yet (waiting) so cant chime in but listening with interest.
    The "deluxe" Bose soundsystem in my corvette is probably the worst sound system in any car I have ever owned. But since it is a 500hp corvette with a V8 that can go to 7000rpm, I have managed to overlook this shortcoming.

I am hopeful that the CTS-V system is less stupid than the needlessly-proprietary C6 Corvette system.

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

out of three corvettes, all have had the Bose system and I found it to be... acceptable in every situation.

Of course, one of those Corvettes was rocking 1984 throttle-body injected crossfire technology AND individual amps for every speaker... I had the targa top off most of the time with a full exhaust, and I think analog Huey Lewis and the News recordings don't need a dedicated woofer... But I was able to reuse the speaker wires so that made the swap easy.

So yeah, it was acceptable.

fastpharmd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Sedan

I'm not sure about on the V's, but in the past I know that the Bose automotive amps will only work within very specific speaker impedences (I think I remember the systems I was messing with had all 2 ohm speakers). The only way we could get a good system into the car was to replace EVERYTHING, including head unit, amps, wires, speakers. With the multi-speaker setup in the 09+ V's, I would not trust changing a couple speakers to net much more sound quality. Try playing with the settings first to see if you can get your ears to like it, if not, be prepared to take a substantial financial plunge into that project.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

It's going to be expensive. Unless your willing to throw some major cash as a complete gut and new system, you're not going to have many options. I'm sure there are ways to replace all the amps, speakers and sub while keeping the stock head unit, it just might take some adapters, and some custom electronics to work right - I'm no expert. Also, I think it's funny when trying to get all "audiophile" with a car stereo. With road noise, wind noise, and the low fidelity output of MP3 files and radio that most people use, a $5000 stereo is a waste.

You could first play with the settings. The factory has some sound fields that change it considerably - center, driver, normal, rear - and with each you have the balance and EQ controls.

If this isn't enough, you could buy a 7 or more band EQ to tailor the sound. This could go back on the main amp and offer some adjustment. I'm not an expert do it yourself person, I've just looked into it. You might be able to install a level control on the sub output depending on how the head unit is set up, or if there is a way to add it to the amp. There really isn't a good mounting spot in the cabin to put this, but an eq would make a lot of difference even just set up in the back with the amp.

The V Bose system is pretty good in my opinion. It has very powerful and crisp base for a factory stereo. That's not desirable to many people. It tends to be a little muddy without some eq tweaking - my ears like the mids turned down. I find the source changes what sounds good a lot too. What is better from one car or another is really subjective. If you hate the Bose sort of hip hop bass oriented sounds, you're in for some headache, but I'd mess with the settings for a while. Sometimes cutting the entire eq down with a higher volume will help as well.

The problem is most factory stereos are designed to sound good at low volume, not cranked up, and definitely not to bleed good sound into spaces outside the car. Aftermarket setups generally sound better at higher volumes but are more crisp and "true" at higher volumes.

One final option if you use iPhone, iPods or other devices. There are eqs in the iPhone/iPod. There are also Eq like devices that go between the iPhone/iPod and the aux connection that can offer settings. I think JBL might make one. That might be worth a shot. I wish apple would stop being idiotic and offer a native app or settings with a REAL multi-band eq - it's freaking 2013.

mcharb007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I came from a car with a $5000+ high fidelity stereo system that I installed and now have a V I can definitely report that the Bose system is horrible. If you think that the Bose is anything but horrible then you haven't owned a properly set up system. Putting an EQ in the loop is a good idea but in my opinion is putting a bandaid on a broken leg. The problem is the shitty signal that gets sent to shitty speakers. Upgrading the speakers will help a little, I seem to remember someone using similar size and spec Boston acustics and have good success, but you're still feeding them a crap signal. Simplest route would be to replace front doors and dash run those off a multichannel amp. Unhook all the speakers that are behind driver and passenger. Run a JL clean sweep or something of the same type to clean up the factory signal before it enters the new amp. If that's not enough bass for you then add a sub into the trunk and size according to the type and amount of bass you want.

I'm a big believer in only using speakers that are in front of the driver and passenger, this is how you listen at a concert as the band does not play behind you. This allows you to take the money that you would have spent on all the other speakers and put that into the fronts to get a really good set.

Anyway just my 2 cents.

Is there anywhere else that CTS owners who've actually done audio upgrades to the CTS hang out? So far it sounds like nobody here has actually taken the Nestea plunge -- no offense to anyone here, and maybe that's a good sign -- especially news there are settings in there that can actually make a difference. But I'm skeptical that the stock setup will be able to keep me out of trouble. I've been in trouble before...

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

No, the V system is fine. It's not amazing, but it's fine. The word "horrible" should be reserved for things like this:

Exaggeration isn't helping anybody, and being a mega audiophile skews your scale. What's important to remember is that a car is not an audiophile demo room. It's a car. Everything you hear is polluted by engine noise, wind noise, tire noise, outside noise. Most people are not crazy enough to try to set it up like it's an isolation booth, because it's a car. The stock Bose system is pretty loud, it's pretty clear and it sounds pretty good. I've heard much, much MUCH worse stock systems in other cars, so let's keep it real shall we?

The suggestion for playing with your device's EQ settings is a good one too, i.e. iPhone or whatever you're using.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by mcharb007 View Post
    I came from a car with a $5000+ high fidelity stereo system that I installed and now have a V I can definitely report that the Bose system is horrible. If you think that the Bose is anything but horrible then you haven't owned a properly set up system. Putting an EQ in the loop is a good idea but in my opinion is putting a bandaid on a broken leg. The problem is the shitty signal that gets sent to shitty speakers. Upgrading the speakers will help a little, I seem to remember someone using similar size and spec Boston acustics and have good success, but you're still feeding them a crap signal. Simplest route would be to replace front doors and dash run those off a multichannel amp. Unhook all the speakers that are behind driver and passenger. Run a JL clean sweep or something of the same type to clean up the factory signal before it enters the new amp. If that's not enough bass for you then add a sub into the trunk and size according to the type and amount of bass you want.

I'm a big believer in only using speakers that are in front of the driver and passenger, this is how you listen at a concert as the band does not play behind you. This allows you to take the money that you would have spent on all the other speakers and put that into the fronts to get a really good set.

Anyway just my 2 cents.
    Nice first post. You must work for Best Buy rofl

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.