Spontaneous Down Shift to 1st while driving 50 MPH in Sport Mode - Anyone else have?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Spontaneous Down Shift to 1st while driving 50 MPH in Sport Mode - Anyone else have? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I picked up my 2013 new CTSv automatic on April 1st. Has anyone else had this kind of problem? I ...
    helffric is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 XLR, 2013 CTSv

Spontaneous Down Shift to 1st while driving 50 MPH in Sport Mode - Anyone else have?

I picked up my 2013 new CTSv automatic on April 1st. Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

I put the car in manual shift mode by moving the shift knob right to manual mode (but letting the car do the shifting). All of a sudden the transmission started downshifting all the way down to first gear even though I was going 50 MPF, was not pushing down on the accelerator pedal, and was already at high RPMs (as it was shifting down).

I took it out of M by moving back to automatic via the shift knob. When I moved it right back to manual, it did it again. Then even though I moved the knob back and forth from automatic to manual it no longer would put it in manual mode (as indicated by the lights on the display in dashboard).

I was not using the paddles on the steering wheel before or during this event.

However, the next day, I couldn't get it to repeat this bizarre behaviour reliably (it happened one other time).

I haven't gone to the dealer yet on this but because I cannot reliably repeat it, I suspect between manual, sport, and DSC there is some sensor thing going wrong or? but what?

Has anyone else experienced this? Any tips on what's going on and how to get it fixed?

Thanks, Audrey

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Re: Spontaneous Down Shift to 1st while driving 50 MPH in Sport Mode - Anyone else ha

I believe I saw a post about this on here or the "other" forum by someone else having the same issue. The dealer had to replace the whole shifter box but it solved the problem.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Re: Spontaneous Down Shift to 1st while driving 50 MPH in Sport Mode - Anyone else ha

Hard to believe it went into first @ 50 mph, that would have the engine turning like 20000 rpms or so. Should definatley be checked out by the dealer though, this is not normal, the car should act docile when in either sport mode or manual mode unless you beating the snot out of the car.

marcusp23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

Is your left paddle shifter stuck?

Worth a shot

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

Did you have an accidental right foot spasm? Happens to me all the time...

shchow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS-V; 2010 Escalade ESV

Don't think you were doing 50 in 1st...
    It may have just felt like it...

ClarkkentCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Thunder gray CTS V

You could have accidentally downshifted when moving the shifter knob into sport mode. The shifter knob on my car is very sensitive to the touch and shifts very easily in manual mode. It happened to me once while racing. I had my hand resting on the shift knob and accidentally downshifted due to a slight movement with my arm.

Quote Originally Posted by shchow View Post
    Don't think you were doing 50 in 1st...
    It may have just felt like it...
    Agreed. As soon as it started its downshifting I moved the shift knob back to automatic. It was shifting as fast as possible. Quite shocking. It was starting from 5th (I think) and I think it had reached 2nd by the time I got to it.

Stillborn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 DW 4DR,AT,Recaros,metco 2.5,RX c-can,AEM-A/F, 634hp,642tq

if you never engaged sport mode to manual mode (either by hitting shifter or buttons) you would never know what gear it was in as it doesn't display numbers on the dash until you send it into manual mode as stated.

Quote Originally Posted by marcusp23 View Post
    Is your left paddle shifter stuck?

Worth a shot
    If so, it didn't stay stuck. I'll keep it in mind to check next time it happens. Although, I must say when it's in the middle of this I'm rushing to get it out of this mode to avoid damage.

Stillborn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 DW 4DR,AT,Recaros,metco 2.5,RX c-can,AEM-A/F, 634hp,642tq

i think your just not use to it hanging in the upper rpms as its suppose to do in sport mode. just drive the car a few weeks and get use to it. it has a rev limiter for safety reasons. if you're not bouncing off the limiter then everything is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkkentCTSV View Post
    You could have accidentally downshifted when moving the shifter knob into sport mode. The shifter knob on my car is very sensitive to the touch and shifts very easily in manual mode. It happened to me once while racing. I had my hand resting on the shift knob and accidentally downshifted due to a slight movement with my arm.
    Interesting. I'll try to recreate the multiple shift with a longer hold of the shifter knob in shift position. It was the fact that the car was shifting immediately down (seemingly) through all the gears that made me think that the car was initiating it all without direction from me.

DiamondWhtV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

I'm also going with the sticking paddle shift switch. But it also sounds like the shift control is going haywire. Better see the dealer and investigate. You don't want to get stuck with a transmission shifting problem somewhere and need to tow the vehicle. I always get bad vibes thinking about towing the V.

Well, it took awhile but I recreated the problem again, but still not sure what I'm doing differently to cause it to start than times when it shifts as expected. Once in the mode it continues to do it until at least previously, the next time I drive it. However, I did also stop the car, turn off the engine and start it again with it continuing the symptoms as soon as I put it in M mode.

A couple more tidbits.

In this mode, the car switched back and forth between manual and drive as indicated by the display multiple times (while stopped at a light and in 1st gear, switching back and forth approximately every 2 seconds, ie it took about a seond per switch) although I was not touching either the paddles or the stickshift (which is to the right, ie M).

Also when in this mode neither pushing the paddles nor the shift knob caused any shifting.

I was unable to recreate it by holding the shift knob or shift paddle on for a long period of time.

It's definitely aiming for 1st gear jumping through all the gears as quickly as possible.

If I'm lucky, I'll be able to get it in this mode on the drive to the dealer (rueful smile).

The dealer agrees there is a problem. Was able to drive it there while it was happening to show them. Not reproducable on demand. There is nothing in their databases from GM on it. They think it's a software problem. I'll update the thread as further information develops.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.