Pretty sure I'm going to get a Prius or a Volt to supplement my V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Pretty sure I'm going to get a Prius or a Volt to supplement my V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I can't keep on putting miles on my Vagon at the rate I've been, over 8000 miles in 3 months ...
    1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Pretty sure I'm going to get a Prius or a Volt to supplement my V

I can't keep on putting miles on my Vagon at the rate I've been, over 8000 miles in 3 months is just way too much, at this rate I'll have 30K miles on it or more by December all in a year. I'm just going to have to force myself to drive a economy car for a while in between driving the V again. Especially in a higher end sports car like the V, the miles will just kill the value of the car not to mention using up my warrantee real fast.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

USAFRET is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe A6 w/RECARO's

Re: Pretty sure I'm going to get a Prius or a Volt to supplement my V

Our second car is a 2012 Volt, one drive and you'll be sold. It's so shit econo box

And on good days you can go 50 miles on a charge

We've driven ours over 10k miles and 90% has been electric, at 9 cents per kWh or 90 cents to drive 40 to 50 miles.

Good luck you won't be disappointed.

Haze is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V Wagon

I've driven the Volt, which my cousin has leased. It really is a nice car for what it does, but it is really expensive. You get a CTS 6 Cyl. for what it costs.

I have motorcycle that I ride in the Summers to keep the miles off the CTS V. The ownership costs are negligible, and I bought the bike ten years old so not too expensive.

USAFRET is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe A6 w/RECARO's

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    I've driven the Volt, which my cousin has leased. It really is a nice car for what it does, but it is really expensive. You get a CTS 6 Cyl. for what it costs.

I have motorcycle that I ride in the Summers to keep the miles off the CTS V. The ownership costs are negligible, and I bought the bike ten years old so not too expensive.
    with current dealer discounts of $5000 plus the federal tax credit of $7500 and any state incentive one can buy a new Volt for about $26K. But I'd recommend leasing considering the Voltec 2.0 is due out in 2015/2016. And many of the leases are well under $300 a month now.

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

hybrids are great, until the batteries crap out. Then you might as well set it on fire.

IMHO, the lightweight 4cyl economy market has plenty of great options - which look even better if you are okay with a 1-2 year old used model.

But, then you have to ask: "how much is it worth to me to drive a crap car 5 days a week so I can protect the resale value of a car I actually enjoy driving?" If you think you'll keep $20K in resale value, then maybe it's worth it?

IMHO, I'd drive the V, get an extended warranty if so inclined, and take the money you would put towards some economy car in the bank for either maintaining the V or to put towards the NEXT performance vehicle you buy. Life's short, don't drive a lame car!

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Now that's better thinking than you were before, 1997. Keep the V. I love the idea of the Volt and I test drove one at the Cleveland Auto Show a few weeks ago. That is an awesome little car!

The more economical thing, though, if you are really going to go through with buying a fuel efficient car, is to just spend $5k on a shizbox economy car. No monthly payment, minimal insurance, save money. Of course, the most economical thing would be just to drive the V. No extra car payment, no extra insurance. Of course, you'll have to come up with the specific math for your situation.

In my case, if I were concerned about gas mileage, I have my Honda S2000 to drive, at least in three seasons. 25 mpg easily without trying, and if I stay out of VTEC and granny shift, I can occasionally see 30 mpg.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Buick Verano. Near luxury and 30 mpg for $25k.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    BTW the difference between 30 and 45 mpg at 30k mi per year is $1300. Its going to take 10 years for a hybrid to pay for itself at those numbers. Assuming the batteries last.

Cadzilla8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS Northstar V8

You could get a Prius-V to stay in the "V" family :P
    DavidPR and DavidPR like this.

Chris Cornett is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V Platinum Mist
    I drive a Chevy Cruze Eco everyday. I get 40 mpg on the highway and nearly 37 mpg combined. Just turned 35k miles and with the 6 speed gearbox its actually fun to drive.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Drove a Volt. I was pretty impressed by it but the cabin is a bit too narrow for my taste. Between that or a Prius? Volt all the way. It damn sure looks better!

hulksdaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): <-----"Hulk" 2000-2012...He will always be missed :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Cadzilla8 View Post
    You could get a Prius-V to stay in the "V" family :P
    Go for the Prius VSport.....

Thanks for the advice, good thread. I liked what Random84 said, I've been thinking a lot about, how much I like driving the V. I do also have a 2012 Chevy Colorado Pickup truck that I was thinking about trading towards the economy car, since getting the V I very rarely drive the truck. It really is not all that comfortable, the sound system sucks and it is very spartan in the interior dept. There is one thing I need to be able to do and that's haul around my hand bike which the rear wheels can be removed, so I need some kind of wagon, it may or may not fit into a Volt or Prius, actually pretty unlikely in either. The truck gets no better gas mileage than the V because it's got the 5.3 motor with no DOD or direct injection, thats one reason why between the two I'll drive the V any day, comfortable, good sound system, nav, etc. I guess I'll stop at the chevy dealer sometime this week and check out the Volt and try to fit the handbike in the back with the seat folded down. I've gotta check out the Verano too, good suggestion. The other thought is a Ford Flex, they are fairly long in the back end but kinda of not the greatest looking vehicles out there. Heres a picture of the handcycle, like I said the rear wheels removed, but what worries me is the crank even with the wheels removed sticks up fairly high, although maybe I could fit it in sideways.
    Attached Images

Heres a thought too, the Buick Encore, I was thinking the Verano was a suv, this Encore might just be tall enough to accomadate my bike and looks like it's got a little bit of of luxury too and gets 33 mpg with the 1.4L turbo motor. I'm hopeful of getting at least 20 grand for my truck, it is very rare with the 5.3 motor and has very low miles on it thanks to the CTS-V. http://www.buick.com/encore-luxury-c...IlNVTU1BUlkifQ==@ http://www.buick.com/encore-luxury-c...IlNVTU1BUlkifQ==@

pat2t2f is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

If your hand bike fits in the back of the V then sell the truck privately. Take the extra cash and put it towards fuel. As you are well aware there are a lot of costs with an extra car. Insurance, upkeep, etc....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.