Pretty sure I'm going to get a Prius or a Volt to supplement my V - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
Like Tree11Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Pretty sure I'm going to get a Prius or a Volt to supplement my V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Good luck with the new car. Glad you made a decision you are happy with...
    pat2t2f is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Good luck with the new car. Glad you made a decision you are happy with

CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    I somewhat agree with trying to keep the mileage down on your v. And those cars do get good mileage. But I think you still over thought this situation and will be paying even more in cost for a second car and insurance than just paying for the V and driving the hell out of it. Resale on the V is much better even with the extra miles. And I'm sorry but IMHO that is one ugly VW. I couldn't drive it and call it my own. Good luck with the air conditioning. And good luck with your financial plan.

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

Re: Pretty sure I'm going to get a Prius or a Volt to supplement my V

Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC View Post
    I signed papers today at a VW dealer to trade in my Colorado truck towards a Jetta TDI Wagon.
    I agree with this choice. Your main complaint with the V has been its MPG based on how much you drive, which is a lot. This VW gets 40+ mpg on the highway which is where you log the majority of your miles, and I believe the range (600+ miles per tank) will make you happy. Even though diesel is as much as premium or maybe a little more, you're going to be filling up 1/3 as often as you do in the V. And you don't have to live with a crappy econobox in the process, I mean the Jetta isn't on the same level as a V but it's not terrible either. And you also get the ~260 lb-ft of torque with the diesel, which makes it a lot more drivable than small-engined gas or gas hybrids.

That's how I would go if I were getting a second car for MPG.

Gman1023 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Nice looking car! Congrats on now having 2 wagons to choose from. I agree that it is a smart choice. It may not be quite as stylish as the Mercedes, but much more economical.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

I agree it's not the greatest looking car around, but it will make me appreciate the V that much more It sure is practical, the more miles you put on those TDI's the better fuel mileage they get. They call it the 500000 mile engine too, it is very rugged. The other issue for me that I have to think about is that every time I stop for gas (everything is self service in Fla) I have to get my wheelchair out of the car and then get back in, it gets old after while driving a gas hog all the time. At least with the 600 - 700 mile range of the TDI I'd be getting in and out less than half as much, that was another consideration at least for me. Plus the V is going to stay nice and new, not all crapped up from driving it all the time. I'm trading my truck with the 5.3 in for the TDI since I have the truck anyhow and don't really need a truck, that helped pay most of the TDI. Those TDI wagons are not cheap at around 30 grand. It has a huge sunroof though like the V, I kinda felt like I was driving a miniture V wagon, well less 416 hp, lol.

Heres a better picture of the car I got off the net. It's also got the Titanium white interior which should be cooler here in fla.

The color looks a little bit like the cadillac opulent blue, now all I gotta do is paint the Calipers red and a red pinstripe.
    Attached Images

I just had to reply to this. The Wagons are totally different than the Sedans, the wagons are a throwback from the original golf/jetta and were not redesigned with cheaper interiors, a/c and other components as were the sedans. And yes, I will save 3 to 4K a year even after insurance driving this car because of the huge fuel savings and the high amount of driving I do and I will keep the V in showroom shape for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanB52 View Post
    I somewhat agree with trying to keep the mileage down on your v. And those cars do get good mileage. But I think you still over thought this situation and will be paying even more in cost for a second car and insurance than just paying for the V and driving the hell out of it. Resale on the V is much better even with the extra miles. And I'm sorry but IMHO that is one ugly VW. I couldn't drive it and call it my own. Good luck with the air conditioning. And good luck with your financial plan.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I just had to reply to this. The Wagons are totally different than the Sedans, the wagons are a throwback from the original golf/jetta and were not redesigned with cheaper interiors, a/c and other components as were the sedans. And yes, I will save 3 to 4K a year even after insurance driving this car because of the huge fuel savings and the high amount of driving I do and I will keep the V in showroom shape for the future.
    Absolutely not.

----------

I just sold my V today for a nice sum. With 46k miles. My V was well used but well preserved. There is NO WAY that an identical V in identical condition with 10k miles would get more than $5G more than I did.

Your depreciation calculation for your V and your krautwagen is highly underestimated. Your fuel savings will never offset the grand picture.

Now, if you just want to feel good about not putting miles on the V and hate getting in and out so much because of your condition, just say so. Stop hiding behind this daydream of cost savings...

At least in my case I will save money because I have the truck anyhow and if I drive it I'll get about half the gas mileage of the VW so that's around 500 bucks a month or so. Trading the truck for the VW being that the VW will haul my handcycle, it's a no brainer. All the reviews I read on the Jetta wagon are great, the sunroof is huge, almost convertible like riding down the road, car is comfortable and handles well, a lot more nimble than the truck. I like the VW so much better than the volt or Prius, at least for me much more practical. The Caddy will go into storage for the summer until I'm back in Florida next fall. Dont want to drive it back up north, too many miles, need to balance out the miles on the car for the year as I don't want to have anymore than 10K miles per year on this car. The VW, I don't care, in fact the more the better, they get better fuel mileage as the mileage goes on them, hopefully make it up to 1/2 million miles on that car.

CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    You know the fact that you already had the truck really wasn't factoring in on my opinion. I guess I was thinking of my own situation to calculate costs. Since you already had the truck and I assume paying insurance. This might be a good solution for your situation. That is if you truly value the V as much as you financially imply. Good luck with the VW.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    At least in my case I will save money because I have the truck anyhow and if I drive it I'll get about half the gas mileage of the VW so that's around 500 bucks a month or so. Trading the truck for the VW being that the VW will haul my handcycle, it's a no brainer. All the reviews I read on the Jetta wagon are great, the sunroof is huge, almost convertible like riding down the road, car is comfortable and handles well, a lot more nimble than the truck. I like the VW so much better than the volt or Prius, at least for me much more practical. The Caddy will go into storage for the summer until I'm back in Florida next fall. Dont want to drive it back up north, too many miles, need to balance out the miles on the car for the year as I don't want to have anymore than 10K miles per year on this car. The VW, I don't care, in fact the more the better, they get better fuel mileage as the mileage goes on them, hopefully make it up to 1/2 million miles on that car.
    I briefly thought about a Passat TDi to replace my V last fall. The VW diesels are excellent and my brother is looking at a Jetta Sportwagen TDi, as well...

VMoose is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Stealth Blue Metallic CTS-V Wagon

Our other car is an Audi A3 TDI. Awesome to scoot around town with the torque and MPG. Only needs to be fueled up once a month or so.

Ya, too bad they stopped making the Audi A3 TDI, that was a great car and better looking than the Jetta Wagon in my opinion. In some ways though I want a car that is not all that great looking, I just hate the looks of mean jealousy I get when driving my V wagon, the VW will put an end to that, I'll be a regular guy, lol. You guys think a red pinstripe and red painted calipers would look good on the Blue TDI I'm getting? I get the car on Tuesday this week and will let ya all know my impressions.

The TDI looks so much better with wheels like these, I think this will be one of my first mods, that and paint the calipers red at the same time. These wheels are VW Wheels and are available from a aftermarket supplier for around 800 bucks, hopefully sell the stockers for at least 500 bucks and not be out too much.
    Attached Images

blaine321 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwangtkd View Post
    Forget the Prius and Volt. That extra cash you will spend vs getting a conventional car equates to ALOT of gas. Plus you have to deal with battery and ELectro Magnetic Field issues. Get a Honda Fit, toyota yaris, or a ford fiesta if you need cargo room in the back. After 120k, you will still be able to sell those vehicles without loosing too much money.

I know you want to drive a semi nice vehicle, but you will not save any extra money on gas, especially if you have to factor in repairs.
    This is false. The battery myth that battery replacement in the Prius and other hybrids costing over 10k is false. A replacement battery.. IF THEY GO BAD after the 100K Warranty... will cost about 3k. The batteries aren't as rare or expensive as they were 10 years ago. Heck you can buy a second battery pack in a kit modify the car to go 100+ miles at 100% electric for 7k.

Cost difference between a Prius 2 and a Yaris is about 5k... or about 50 dollars a month in payment!!!! The Prius gets about DOUBLE the MPG in actual mileage. I've owned the Hybrid Prius, Hybrid Sonata, Hybrid Civic, Hybrid Camry, and several small eco boxes for daily drivers. The ONLY car that got above 40MPG was the Prius. I average 56 MPG driving like I stole it in the Prius. Stay away from the other hybrids!!!! I got maybe... on a good day driving down hill with a 20 MPH tail wind **30 MPG** in the other hybrids... the Sonata Hybrid was by FAR the worst.

Do the math... if you drive over 100 miles per day. They Prius will pay for itself. (Over driving my 14 MPG car daily.) But a cheap USED ecobox would be the best bang for buck for a daily driver.

I'm really liking the TDI wagen, got it yesterday. Coming back home from the dealer on the highway it was reading 52 mpg on the readout where my CTS-V is reading 19 mpg. The sound system is also much better than the V and has bluetooth music which is nice not having to worry about a cord plus it's got HD radio. Not as quiet on the highway as the V, more wind noise and less sound deadening, but I expected that. Loads of room in the back, more than the V wagon and it is a higher roofline so that helps out getting in the stuff I gotta get in there. I think I'm gonna enjoy this car. If the price point were not so high on these TDI's (30K) sticker with sunroof, they'd sell like hotcakes, I think the high price is why you don't see too many on the road.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.