Pretty sure I'm going to get a Prius or a Volt to supplement my V - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Pretty sure I'm going to get a Prius or a Volt to supplement my V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I'd rather drive an econobox with a manual transmission than a luxury/performance car with an automatic....
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: Pretty sure I'm going to get a Prius or a Volt to supplement my V

I'd rather drive an econobox with a manual transmission than a luxury/performance car with an automatic.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Thanks for doing the cost comparison, you beat me to it. It is big money driving the V as much as I've been driving it and want to give it a rest for a while and drive something else. What stopped me from doing it though is I do enjoy driving the V and my truck gets about the same gas mileage so If I have to choose between the two sitting there in the garage I take the V. The truck basically has been collecting dust for the last 3 months, it is a year old now and only has 9K miles on it. When I got the V I really didnt figure I'd be doing this much driving. I play in a Tennis league down in Ft. Myers and that is a couple days a week and about a 1.5 hours drive each way, so that adds up the mileage. I drove the car from R.I to Fla when I got it, that was 1500 miles, now another 1500 miles back to R.I with the car, 3 day drive. I am going to look at the Encore tomorrow at the Buick dealer, looks like a nice vehicle and 35 mpg on the highway according to reviews I've read. It may not have enough room in the back though, still not sure. I may end up selling the truck privately because these trucks are commanding good money right now since 2012 was the last year for the Colorado and with the V8 it is very rare, with low mileage the truck should pay for most of the Encore if this idea works out.
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungBlood_STSV View Post
    Yeah I realized that the post was getting really long and I stopped spelling everything out, but I was honest. There's probably $10,000 a year of extra costs associated with driving the V that many miles per year.

Econo-boxes aren't as bad as they were 8 years ago. The quality of the builds are quickly improving. Who would have guessed that a Hyundai Accent would actually be a car worth owning? The Enjoyment of driving the V is the deciding factor. The way the OP is approaching the issue, he doesn't seem to find the Enjoyment worth the added costs. But that's because his costs are astronomical. I felt it by moving and increasing my daily commute by only a few miles. But that turned from filling up every 8 days to filling up every 5. It makes a noticeable difference. Not going to make me buy a second car or sell this one though, my increase is only marginal. There is no way I'd use my V to drive 8000 miles every 3 months, I'd be broke before I knew it.

Is there that much added enjoyment of endlessly driving the V 70mph on a highway vs driving a Jetta? Also, to the OP....did you buy your V knowing it would be your only car and knowing you would have to drive the distances you are?

To heck with it, I think I'm just gonna wait it out and get a new 2014 MB Wagon, the V wagon and that will make a good pair. I am comfortable as anything in the MB, it's not a hot rod like the V (from what I read the wagon is only going to be available with the current V6 motor and no diesel or V8) but a lot of luxury. I like the Styling of the new ones which are about to come out end of May from what I understand. For me the decision has come down to maintaining my V wagon and keeping it in shape over the long term and driving a car as my general driver that has all the bells and whistles, nice sound system, distronic cruise control. Again this is not a financial decision but a lifestyle decision. Hopefully I'll drive both those cars 5 or 10 years, as the warrantee starts running out on the V I'll start making speed mods because I would like it to be a little faster and capable of at least a 11 second car in the Quarter.

neuronbob is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Sounds like we have a decision. Good luck!

I'm still considering a cheap beater, but not this year. V will be paid off this year and the beater, should i do one, will be a cheap cash purchase, so I can avoid a new car payment.

Quote Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
    Sounds like we have a decision. Good luck!

I'm still considering a cheap beater, but not this year. V will be paid off this year and the beater, should i do one, will be a cheap cash purchase, so I can avoid a new car payment.
    Your a Doctor and you have a car payment? I thought you guys made like at least a million bucks a year or so? lol.

They had a used 2004 MB wagon when I was at the MB dealer today, it was just 12 grand, but has 116K miles on it. Not sure if I want to roll the dice on something like that. The new 2014 wagons are very appealing to me and the new 2014 amg e63s is going to be 577HP and over 620 ft. lbs of torque and awd. 0 to 60 is 3.6. I can't seem to get anymore info on the 2014's yet though, I thought they were suppose to be out mid april from what I read, guess not. I can imagine the AMG is going to start around 100K and go up to 125K with options. I think I'd be happy with just the 6 banger as a general highway cruiser, going to start around 59K, I'd want distronic and the high end stereo so I can imagine the price would be up around 75K.

Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC View Post
    Your a Doctor and you have a car payment? I thought you guys made like at least a million bucks a year or so? lol.
    LOL, I wish I made a million a year. Those days in medicine have been over for years, and the only millionaire neurologists I know are people who came to the field filthy rich or a couple of guys who got lucky in stocks.

BTW, I would be hesitant to do a 116k mile Merc, too.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungBlood_STSV View Post

1. 30,000 miles is how much the OP said he drives. Go read the thread.
    2. I included maintenance, gas, insurance and registration in my estimates. (I didn't think about brakes though...so you can add a couple sets of those to the V's cost and 1 to the econo-box). The maintenance I accrued for is not "covered items".
    3. I did real world scenario for both cars. One gets 15mpg, one gets 35mpg (would you like me to list all available 35mpg cars??) I included insurance of $1200 a year on the second car, a $60 oil change per year (synthetic only for my econo-boxes) and 25% of a set of $600 tires. I included $80 to register the new car too. If you think I'm being facetious with these numbers then please give an alternative. I pulled all the depreciation numbers from KBB.com and I loudly said that they are rough estimates. But they're real world.

V's are a good deal more expensive to drive and maintain than your typical 2007 Honda Accord...To just about all of us that doesn't matter in day-to-day life. Start putting 600 miles a week on your car and your opinion will change. The OP started this thread as a feeler for other people's opinions on getting a car to supplement his V for the crazy amount of driving he has to do. He can take the info and tweak it to come up with a more accurate estimate for himself. All I wanted to show was that it's still going to be incredibly expensive to drive the V 30k miles a year.
    I'm familiar with miles and maintenance. As someone who does 70k miles a year in a Town Car and 15k on the V, I know all about that.

As for brakes, the Vs will last as long as any economy car. Unless an economy car can go 150k miles on a set of brakes, its not 2-1.

Factor in combined city/highway driving for the V but only highway for the others? And your fuel listing is a bit off. $4.25? Are you in CA? I just paid $3.55 for premium 93 the other day.

The good news is it seems gas is on it's way down as demand has decreased because of all the economy cars out there. I nearly worked a deal today on a VW TDI wagon, but those cars are just so expensive for what they are, up near 30 grand with the Sunroof. I'm back to the idea of a used Merc wagon, I found a 2004 that looks great in the pictures for around 10 grand, I may take a look at it tomorrow. I do get a little nervous of something like that becoming a money pit.

Even with falling crude, they will find excuses to keep gas prices up.

undertaker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 V Black Diamond Sedan

I picked up a demo VW jetta tdi year old 33k sticker for 25k with 12k miles on it 2 years ago, its now at around 42k miles......compared to my 12 mpg suburban the fuel savings covered the payment (not insurance or maitenence of @150 a month). But as my friend said you'll always have a truck, you're not replacing your 55-60k truck. The V was bought as a weekend toy, more along the lines of my vette (think I have 10k in a year and a half). Driven nicely it does get 42-45 mpg......doing 80-90 still gets about 35 highway (I have a heavy foot the V is usually under 13 mpg). Another VW model to look into is the hybrid jetta, even better on fuel than the TDI, my buddy's father bought one (needed a clean pass vehicle to use the HOV, tesla is a 2 yr wait, prius's are gay, didn't like the volt) supposedly its getting 45-50 mpg and actually handles pretty damn well, he actually traded in his boxster for it and has no complaints, but has only had it 2-3 months.

30k miles a year is alot of miles at 13 mpg in a V especially with 2k in tires etc.

My sister has a Golf TDi. She cruises around 50 mph on her commute and gets almost 50 mpg. When she gets on the highway going 60-65, it quickly drops to around 40. Often less.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Economics prevent enjoyment for real car guys. Are numbers more important or enjoying the time you have left? Cars are transportation and not good investments. Numbers are for those that aren't able to enjoy high performance cars. When you're on the wrong side of the grass, the game is over. For those focused on numbers instead of enjoying themselves, who's going to be happier at the end? We're in the golden age of high performance, don't waste it.

Jud
    Jud

I'm a car guy. I just don't have the time or the will to drive crazy fast anymore. I can't remember the last time my camaro saw WOT. Its just not usable on the street.

The Maestro himself once said its more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. I want to get a car that I can get to at least 8/10 on the street.

^^^^^
    I drove my S2000 for the first extended period since last fall today. What I most appreciate about it other than its scalpel-sharp handling is that I can rev the snot out of it and still be driving at or slightly above the speed limit. The V gets into felony speeding territory by halfway through third gear. I feel you on your second point, Jimmy.

Even so, the V is a luxurious, fast conveyance that with a stick shift is fun to drive in its own way even though I can only drive it at about 4/10s on a public road.

Different tools for different needs......

Wow, you guys must be reading my mind. I signed papers today at a VW dealer to trade in my Colorado truck towards a Jetta TDI Wagon. They are not cheap by any means up around 30 grand, but nice vehicle. I really like to travel and do road trips and this car is gonna take me a lot of places for less than half what it would cost doing the same trips in either my truck or my CTS-V. The idea of a used older Mercedes is crazy, I just don't have the time to mess around with the problems that would arise from something like that, Evap codes, fuel pumps, electrical gremlins, etc. The Jetta TDI should be dead nuts reliable, get more than double the fuel mileage as either of the vehicles I currently have and keep the mileage down on the V. I was surprised at the amount of space in the back with the seat folded down, can fit my hand bike trike with the rear wheels removed just fine and all my tennis gear fits in the back too. Seems to drive nice, plenty of low end grunt. The salesman at the dealer was trying to talk me into a performance tune on it for $700.00 but may void the warrantee so I declined, turns out the tech guy came out to talk to me and they still have not figured out a way to unlock the PCM's yet on the 2013's so could not have done a tune anyhow, I guess the tune is good for around 30HP and 60 Ft. Lbs of torque. Heres a picture of the car.
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.