Pretty sure I'm going to get a Prius or a Volt to supplement my V - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Pretty sure I'm going to get a Prius or a Volt to supplement my V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; no ... they think that driving a V is better than driving anything else ... at any cost...
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Pretty sure I'm going to get a Prius or a Volt to supplement my V

no ... they think that driving a V is better than driving anything else ... at any cost
    neuronbob and neuronbob like this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC View Post
    So you all think putting over 30,000 miles per year on the V and spending an extra 20 grand on gas over 5 years is a good thing?
    Well, you don't love the V. So what do you care? What will the depreciation of TWO CARS be over 5 years?

You could sell a 5 year old V w/ 150,000 miles and still get somewhere in the high teens, maybe low 20s. With 50,000 miles? Low 30s.

And if you abuse a DD while garaging the V, what does that depreciate?

Unless you get a true beater, you're losing money no matter what you do...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

RobF300 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan HIS, 2012 CTS4 coupe- Her's

its not always about dollars and what makes sense

maybe the guy just wants his V to stay nice for when he can use it for pleasure driving and doesnt mind spending money on another car to achieve this. He saves some money on gas, keeps his V nice- it makes him happy.
    hulksdaddy and hulksdaddy like this.

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

So you all think putting over 30,000 miles per year on the V and spending an extra 20 grand on gas over 5 years is a good thing?
    \

Definitely...It costs less, you drive a high performance luxury car year round and you aren't in a crapass economy car with all its associated costs.

Any way to you look at it....Financially, fun to drive factor, comfort the V wins every scenario.

Don't worry about the mileage, it's only a car and if you're serious about investment car collecting you would've bought two and put one in storage under a wrap and wait 25 years to sell it.

YoungBlood_STSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Chris CTS V Wagon View Post
    Definitely...It costs less, you drive a high performance luxury car year round and you aren't in a crapass economy car with all its associated costs.
    Any way to you look at it....Financially, fun to drive factor, comfort the V wins every scenario.
    Don't worry about the mileage, it's only a car and if you're serious about investment car collecting you would've bought two and put one in storage under a wrap and wait 25 years to sell it.
    Its a math question with a lot of variables. If your one and only goal is $ then just do the math. If its not, then do the math and make a decision after weighing the non-monetary costs.

30,000 miles a year with gas @ $4.25 a gallon getting 15mpg: $8500 in fuel per year
    Insurance ....idk your history but mine is $1300/yr.
    Registration- $80
    Maintenence: ...At 30k/yr you're going through 3 oil changes and a set of tires every 12 months: $1500/yr
    Depreciation: The biggest unknown..how much is your car losing value vs one that is only driven 10k miles a year...A quick KBB search shows that the additional mileage is worth 8% after 1 year, 15% after 2 years 28% after three years and a staggering 41% at year 4 (ie: Same CTS-V, one has 10k miles one has 30k after 1 year; 20k vs 60k etc, etc). So assuming you hold the car for 4 years....your depreciation will be an additional $16000...give or take a little.

So, roughly, your 4 year cost of ownership is $61,600 plus your monthly payment.
    If you stop driving so damn much and drive the car 10k/yr it would cost you...roughly... $18,850, with the savings coming from less fuel costs and lower depreciation and lower maintenance

Driving your V less over the next four years would net you $42,748. That's over $10k a year to spend on a second car.
    You need to drive those additional 20k miles no matter what. So lets say your new car is an awesome little 4cyl that gets 35mpg. 20k miles @ 3.85 gallon getting 35mpg. Your second car's fuel cost is $2200/yr. All in, running a 4cyl w/ no issues arising would cost you like $3800 a year. That leaves about $7k for financing the car, or almost $600 a month. So yeah...if I were you I'd look into a second car.

SRTVIPER03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

I am also thinking about another vehicle so as not to put excess miles on my V Wagon. I live in SoCal so I'm looking at either the Volt or the Fusion Energi. I'm really leasing only a HOV sticker and get a car with it. Driving in the carpool lane and the reduction of stress from the faster commute is hard to quantify.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBlood_STSV View Post
    Its a math question with a lot of variables. If your one and only goal is $ then just do the math. If its not, then do the math and make a decision after weighing the non-monetary costs.

30,000 miles a year with gas @ $4.25 a gallon getting 15mpg: $8500 in fuel per year
    Registration- $80
    Maintenence: ...At 30k/yr you're going through 3 oil changes and a set of tires every 12 months: $1500/yr
    Depreciation: The biggest unknown..how much is your car losing value vs one that is only driven 10k miles a year...A quick KBB search shows that the additional mileage is worth 8% after 1 year, 15% after 2 years 28% after three years and a staggering 41% at year 4 (ie: Same CTS-V, one has 10k miles one has 30k after 1 year; 20k vs 60k etc, etc). So assuming you hold the car for 4 years....your depreciation will be an additional $16000...give or take a little.

So, roughly, your 4 year cost of ownership is $61,600 plus your monthly payment.
    If you stop driving so damn much and drive the car 10k/yr it would cost you...roughly... $18,850, with the savings coming from less fuel costs and lower depreciation and lower maintenance

Driving your V less over the next four years would net you $42,748. That's over $10k a year to spend on a second car.
    You need to drive those additional 20k miles no matter what. So lets say your new car is an awesome little 4cyl that gets 35mpg. 20k miles @ 3.85 gallon getting 35mpg. Your second car's fuel cost is $2200/yr. All in, running a 4cyl w/ no issues arising would cost you like $3800 a year. That leaves about $7k for financing the car, or almost $600 a month. So yeah...if I were you I'd look into a second car.
    - 30K miles a year an accurate amount? That's an obscene amount of driving

- Don't forget maintenance on the four banger over the 4 years, it aint free. (tires, brakes, gas, oil changes, other regular maintenance). Insurance and registration also apply

- I don't know about you guys but all my maintenance is included when I bought the car. (Maybe it's different in the states versus Canada but I don't pay a cent for regular scheduled maintenance)

RobF300 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan HIS, 2012 CTS4 coupe- Her's

tires for a econobox likely to go at least 50k-60k miles possibly more, and cost WAYYYYY less than tires for a V

highway mileage on a car like that likely to go through a single set of brake pads in 100k

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Registration- $80

You just did absolute worst case for the V and absolute best case for the econobox. Real numbers wouldn't even be close...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

dqw1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I bought a 2003 Acura MDX for 9k as my beater car. It carries large items and i drive during inclement weather and pollen season. No reason to spend a bunch of money on a second car unless you just got it like that. But, you never liked your V so what does it matter. Good luck whatever you do.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    You just did absolute worst case for the V and absolute best case for the econobox. Real numbers wouldn't even be close...
    - 30K miles a year an accurate amount? That's an obscene amount of driving

- Don't forget maintenance on the four banger over the 4 years, it aint free. (tires, brakes, gas, oil changes, other regular maintenance). Insurance and registration also apply

- I don't know about you guys but all my maintenance is included when I bought the car. (Maybe it's different in the states versus Canada but I don't pay a cent for regular scheduled maintenance)
    1. 30,000 miles is how much the OP said he drives. Go read the thread.
    2. I included maintenance, gas, insurance and registration in my estimates. (I didn't think about brakes though...so you can add a couple sets of those to the V's cost and 1 to the econo-box). The maintenance I accrued for is not "covered items".
    3. I did real world scenario for both cars. One gets 15mpg, one gets 35mpg (would you like me to list all available 35mpg cars??) I included insurance of $1200 a year on the second car, a $60 oil change per year (synthetic only for my econo-boxes) and 25% of a set of $600 tires. I included $80 to register the new car too. If you think I'm being facetious with these numbers then please give an alternative. I pulled all the depreciation numbers from KBB.com and I loudly said that they are rough estimates. But they're real world.

V's are a good deal more expensive to drive and maintain than your typical 2007 Honda Accord...To just about all of us that doesn't matter in day-to-day life. Start putting 600 miles a week on your car and your opinion will change. The OP started this thread as a feeler for other people's opinions on getting a car to supplement his V for the crazy amount of driving he has to do. He can take the info and tweak it to come up with a more accurate estimate for himself. All I wanted to show was that it's still going to be incredibly expensive to drive the V 30k miles a year.

Gman1023 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Heres the Benz I've been thinking about, the only problem is it has a salvage title, looks like the body work was done well though. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...item460e3bb3fb The handcycle would fit fine in the back of this, it is tall enough, cars like the 200h, encore, suburu, VW, I don't think the handcycle would fit as the crank sticks up high and would hit the roof top loading it in. I love the interior of this benz, very pretty.
    Nice car, I truly love the color combo. You won't save much gas with it though, especially with the AWD. Plus you live in Florida, what do you need AWD for? Maybe none of that is a priority as much as saving the miles on your V. I can't blame you looking at a second car, wish I still had my old Lesabre because it would make a terrific second/winter car up here in PA.

Everything I said goes out the window if you spend $28k on an E350 4matic that gets 21mpg and costs the same to maintain as the Cadillac.

I was under the impression you would buy a slightly used Civic or Volkswagon TDI.... Or a Prius like your title suggests.

1. 30,000 miles is how much the OP said he drives. Go read the thread.
    2. I included maintenance, gas, insurance and registration in my estimates. (I didn't think about brakes though...so you can add a couple sets of those to the V's cost and 1 to the econo-box). The maintenance I accrued for is not "covered items".
    3. I did real world scenario for both cars. One gets 15mpg, one gets 35mpg (would you like me to list all available 35mpg cars??) I included insurance of $1200 a year on the second car, a $60 oil change per year (synthetic only for my econo-boxes) and 25% of a set of $600 tires. I included $80 to register the new car too. If you think I'm being facetious with these numbers then please give an alternative. I pulled all the depreciation numbers from KBB.com and I loudly said that they are rough estimates. But they're real world.

V's are a good deal more expensive to drive and maintain than your typical 2007 Honda Accord...To just about all of us that doesn't matter in day-to-day life. Start putting 600 miles a week on your car and your opinion will change. The OP started this thread as a feeler for other people's opinions on getting a car to supplement his V for the crazy amount of driving he has to do. He can take the info and tweak it to come up with a more accurate estimate for himself. All I wanted to show was that it's still going to be incredibly expensive to drive the V 30k miles a year.
    Yes but econoboxes still suck...

Seriously though the way you wrote the post it wasn't clear to me you included the other costs with the econobox comparison.

Regardless the ENJOYMENT of driving the V year round is easily worth the extra cost...that's why I sold my race/summar cars several years ago and bought performance cars that I could drive/enjoy year round.

Yes but econoboxes still suck...

Seriously though the way you wrote the post it wasn't clear to me you included the other costs with the econobox comparison.

Regardless the ENJOYMENT of driving the V year round is easily worth the extra cost...that's why I sold my race/summar cars several years ago and bought performance cars that I could drive/enjoy year round.
    Yeah I realized that the post was getting really long and I stopped spelling everything out, but I was honest. There's probably $10,000 a year of extra costs associated with driving the V that many miles per year.

Econo-boxes aren't as bad as they were 8 years ago. The quality of the builds are quickly improving. Who would have guessed that a Hyundai Accent would actually be a car worth owning? The Enjoyment of driving the V is the deciding factor. The way the OP is approaching the issue, he doesn't seem to find the Enjoyment worth the added costs. But that's because his costs are astronomical. I felt it by moving and increasing my daily commute by only a few miles. But that turned from filling up every 8 days to filling up every 5. It makes a noticeable difference. Not going to make me buy a second car or sell this one though, my increase is only marginal. There is no way I'd use my V to drive 8000 miles every 3 months, I'd be broke before I knew it.

Is there that much added enjoyment of endlessly driving the V 70mph on a highway vs driving a Jetta? Also, to the OP....did you buy your V knowing it would be your only car and knowing you would have to drive the distances you are?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.