Pretty sure I'm going to get a Prius or a Volt to supplement my V - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Pretty sure I'm going to get a Prius or a Volt to supplement my V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by pat2t2f I don't know about Florida but diesel fuel in NY is about 40 cents a gallon ...
    RobF300 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan HIS, 2012 CTS4 coupe- Her's

Re: Pretty sure I'm going to get a Prius or a Volt to supplement my V

Quote Originally Posted by pat2t2f View Post
    I don't know about Florida but diesel fuel in NY is about 40 cents a gallon more than reticular unleaded and 20 cents a gallon more than super. That severely cuts into the savings. Just something to consider.
    And not at every station either, which could be a problem for the OP

larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs
    Got a 2013 volt and a 662 rwhp 2010 v and both are a riot to drive. Love the volt as dd. V is for nice days only.

Chrispy is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

I purposely decided to drive my V Wagon year round and enjoy it (including winters). I could afford a third car but figure I'd rather drive a car I love year round than a compromise vehicle. From a financial standpoint driving the V year round is a no brainer when you factor the cost of a new car and the gas consumption delta.
    neuronbob and neuronbob like this.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

There are a lot of factors that enter into my decision on what i'm going to do. I leave Florida in a few weeks and was kinda hoping to make a move on getting rid of my 2012 pickup truck before I leave for something I'd drive more and that offered a lot better fuel economy. I really don't think my handcycle will fit in the back of the Volt and the point about diesel fuel is a good one, plus the thought of ending up with someone putting gas into it or whatever. Plus I hate the smell of diesel when fueling and if you get any on yourself it is yucky stuff. I think the Encore might be too tight for my handcycle also although it would be a nice vehicle as it looks comfortable is good on gas and probably has a good sound system and all. This whole idea may have to wait until next fall when I'm back in Florida, in thinking about it I don't think the truck is going to depreciate much as the mileage will be kept low as it's not being driven, GM does not make these Colorados anymore and maybe a new vehicle will come out next fall for 2014 that meets my needs better. I feel I do need to do something though, because the thought of over 30K miles per year on the V is not a good one.

This Buick Encore though is pretty impressive though for a small SUV. I'm going to look at one and will report back, I'll try every way I can come up with to try and fit my handcycle in the back. It does have a power liftgate like my Vagon which is a plus, the warrantee is the same as the V too, again a plus and the testers claim they can get a consistant 35 mpg on the highway, good sound system and electronics too. http://www.carprousa.com/2013-buick-...car-pro-review

pmsteinm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (Blue Diamond Manual/Recaros/Nav/Suede/Polished)

One good thing (for me anyway) is that if I drive a "crap" car 2-4 days a week on the days I drive the V I like it that much more. It actually feels fast again, and I appreciate the ride quality, comfort, etc.

My "crap" car is a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0, so at least it has the correct number of cylinders.

RobF300 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan HIS, 2012 CTS4 coupe- Her's

that lexus 200h actually dont look all that bad for what it is- I bet your cycle would fit in that thing

fastpharmd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
    One good thing (for me anyway) is that if I drive a "crap" car 2-4 days a week on the days I drive the V I like it that much more. It actually feels fast again, and I appreciate the ride quality, comfort, etc.

My "crap" car is a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0, so at least it has the correct number of cylinders.
    I'm with you on the increased appreciation for the V on the days it leaves the garage.

I drive a 2001 Chrysler Concorde on a daily basis. I love it, great big comfy leather seats, a soft ride, aftermarket stereo (that's worth more than the car), insurance gave me 2x as much as what i valued it at for hail damage, if I drive it sensibly I can get 26-30mpg on the highway, it has an enormous trunk, crackheads don't bother with it, and most importantly, it starts and goes everytime I ask it to.

So OP, in my opinion, you need a cheap (or free) piece of crap that's comfortable and goes. When that cheap piece of crap fails, leave it there and get another.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Also, switching between two cars gets to be a pain in the ass. You tend to constantly leave things in one car, and forget them when you need them. You know, things you can have only one of, like your license.

For over a year I was swapping between a CTS 3.6 and a CTS-V, and even that got old.

Gman1023 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanB52 View Post
    Careful with German cars I have had a VW Toureg and diesel Jetta. Both had crap air conditioners. I took them in and complained and all I got back is that it reduced the air by 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Well when its 110 outside in Louisiana, 90 in the cabin sucks. Aparently the Germans have a fundamentally different definition of air conditioning. None of my American cars have ever had this problem even on hot ass days.
    I have always heard the opposite actually. I have never lived in the South myself, but folks I know who do complain about American air conditioners designed for Detroit weather. German cars in my experience have pretty heavy duty A/C systems. I'm sure it all varies though.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC View Post
    Yep, I've thought about a Jetta TDI. Just the more I've thought about this though I can't picture myself in a economy Vehicle. Going all the way back to the 70's I've driven mostly luxury vehicles like Cadillacs, Monte Carlos, etc. One car I've never owned though is a Mercedes and I want one before I die. I had quite a few on my used car lot and liked the way they drove and use to like to take them over the other cars to pick up parts and errands. So, my thought is I'm thinking about a used Mercedes Wagon, just the E350 with the V6. I know it wont save a ton of gas over my V, maybe 28 mpg highway if I'm lucky, but it will be a luxury ride and a car I'll look as forward to driving as I do the V. The problem is right now I just don't want to drive my truck over the V and it's just sitting there collecting dust, it's a shame because it's only a year old. I looked up all the used Colorado trucks on autotrader and the newer low mileage ones are selling for well over 20 grand, since they don't make these trucks anymore they are holding their value well and with the 5.3 v8 engine it's no slouch for a small truck. I found a 2009 E350 Wagon with 35K miles on it for 27 K, I'm going to see if I can work a trade for my truck with the dealer if I can get the time to get down where it's at. My handcycle will fit fine in the benz because they are tall and huge in the cargo area. By doing this I can cut the miles in half I'm driving the V and still be driving in luxury with the Benz, the color combo on the one I'm looking at is real nice.
    I appreciate your concerns. I think it is fair to point out that late model VWs are not known for their reliability either, so don't think it's just an MB problem. Perhaps an older Mercedes diesel wagon will fit the bill? Or even a 90's S350 D. You combine Mercedes class and comfort, with old Mercedes build quality and diesel efficiency and reliability. You can't break one of those things. Maybe you don't want a car that old, but it could be worth a thought if you can find a good one.

Heres the Benz I've been thinking about, the only problem is it has a salvage title, looks like the body work was done well though. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...item460e3bb3fb The handcycle would fit fine in the back of this, it is tall enough, cars like the 200h, encore, suburu, VW, I don't think the handcycle would fit as the crank sticks up high and would hit the roof top loading it in. I love the interior of this benz, very pretty.

hwangtkd is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Forget the Prius and Volt. That extra cash you will spend vs getting a conventional car equates to ALOT of gas. Plus you have to deal with battery and ELectro Magnetic Field issues. Get a Honda Fit, toyota yaris, or a ford fiesta if you need cargo room in the back. After 120k, you will still be able to sell those vehicles without loosing too much money.

I know you want to drive a semi nice vehicle, but you will not save any extra money on gas, especially if you have to factor in repairs.

CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    This is a stupid. The only way this works is if you don't care about cost. Which the OP does. Just drive the car unless you are actually worried a about devalued V.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Must be nice to waste money on economy cars...

V2 BRAWN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon white A-6

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanB52 View Post
    Just drive the car unless you are actually worried a about devalued V.
    This is the essence of my personal situation. We are driving the Volt ~30,000 miles per year for commuter purposes. The fuel savings are only about $2K per year. The depreciation on the V is likely tens of thousands of dollars to drive it 6,000 miles per year vs 30,000. I'll drive my Volt 5 years and throw it away and not feel bad about it.

So you all think putting over 30,000 miles per year on the V and spending an extra 20 grand on gas over 5 years is a good thing?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.