Pretty sure I'm going to get a Prius or a Volt to supplement my V - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Pretty sure I'm going to get a Prius or a Volt to supplement my V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Research real world fuel economy, obviously we know the sticker on the window in the dealer is BS. 6cyl cts ...
    RobF300 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan HIS, 2012 CTS4 coupe- Her's

Re: Pretty sure I'm going to get a Prius or a Volt to supplement my V

Research real world fuel economy, obviously we know the sticker on the window in the dealer is BS.

6cyl cts - my wife has one, now granted its AWD. But around town it gets 15-17mpg, and on the highway i managed something like 23-24 not exactly light footed but not beating on it. To purchase one with the intent of saving money on fuel would be very foolish.

I would go cruze, spark, etc
    Something cheap that runs on fuel it sounds like you put too many miles to use the volt unless you have a charging station set up at your daily destination?

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Quote Originally Posted by RobF300 View Post
    I would go cruze, spark, etc
    Something cheap that runs on fuel it sounds like you put too many miles to use the volt unless you have a charging station set up at your daily destination?
    But the Volt's engine charges the battery after depletion. In theory, you can drive a Volt all the way across the country with mpg in the 30's. That's the whole point of the Volt, elimination of range anxiety. I tested the Volt under gas power and the drive was just fine. It's just a bit expensive and thus my suggestion above to just buy a cheap beater for $5k. Your suggestion to buy a small efficient car is also good.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

I'm starting to think this idea is foolish, Crude oil is dropping like a stone, that and gas. Gold is gonna be worthless and so arent our cars, I might as well just drive it for 300,000 miles, lol.

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

I'd add that if you're going to get another car purely for fuel economy reasons then don't half-ass it. Get something that does a minimum of 40 MPG to make it worth it. I'm still a big fan of turbo diesels, and all of VW's TDi line gets 40+ except the Toureg I think. The Volt might be a good choice but if you have a longer commute the electric side of it starts to make less sense.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

If I could afford a volt, I would drive one. I really don't have the money for a second car on top of the V unless its a cheapy, and have no place to park it. The volt is a good choice. Kind of a financial bust for GM and taxpayers, but they are actually really nice cars and in my opinion considerably better than what other companies offer for "green" cars.

Another option could be a high MPG Diesel VW.

VMoose is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Stealth Blue Metallic CTS-V Wagon

Wife drives an Audi A3 TDI. It's great on fuel and looks good. Not as cheap as a VW, but has better options. It can easily get 40MPG highway, but averages 33-36 MPG around town. The torque is a lot of fun to zip around. Combined average MPG in my garage, between the two cars, is probably 25-27 and I'm happy with that. If we head to Nashville, we'll usually take the Audi. Around town, I'll take the V.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC View Post
    I'm starting to think this idea is foolish, Crude oil is dropping like a stone, that and gas. Gold is gonna be worthless and so arent our cars, I might as well just drive it for 300,000 miles, lol.
    Brother, I WISH that drop in crude oil would make it to my local gas pump! I've already spent a bit over $1100 in fuel on the V this year! I can afford it with no sweat, but a drop in fuel cost would be most welcome.

You can click on the picture to get details of my fueling for the V wagon. I've got every fillup since I bought the wagon listed.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

The oil companies always manage to find a reason to keep gas prices up when crude goes down. Keep an eye out for the next refinery that has to shutdown due to "unforeseen problems."

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC View Post
    Heres a thought too, the Buick Encore, I was thinking the Verano was a suv, this Encore might just be tall enough to accomadate my bike and looks like it's got a little bit of of luxury too and gets 33 mpg with the 1.4L turbo motor. I'm hopeful of getting at least 20 grand for my truck, it is very rare with the 5.3 motor and has very low miles on it thanks to the CTS-V. http://www.buick.com/encore-luxury-c...IlNVTU1BUlkifQ==@ http://www.buick.com/encore-luxury-c...IlNVTU1BUlkifQ==@
    The encore is nice. But keep in mind with the Verano Turbo, there is already a canned trifecta tune for $300. The guys that have it claim it gives a nice shot of power and a slight bump in economy.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

in less than a year the ELR will be an alternative
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Gman1023 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Have you considered a Jetta TDI wagon? If you aren't bothered by the fact that it's a VW it could be a good option. There should be decent room for your handbike and they see real world 40+ mpg. Plus, they are priced such that it would not require much outlay on top of your truck.

Yep, I've thought about a Jetta TDI. Just the more I've thought about this though I can't picture myself in a economy Vehicle. Going all the way back to the 70's I've driven mostly luxury vehicles like Cadillacs, Monte Carlos, etc. One car I've never owned though is a Mercedes and I want one before I die. I had quite a few on my used car lot and liked the way they drove and use to like to take them over the other cars to pick up parts and errands. So, my thought is I'm thinking about a used Mercedes Wagon, just the E350 with the V6. I know it wont save a ton of gas over my V, maybe 28 mpg highway if I'm lucky, but it will be a luxury ride and a car I'll look as forward to driving as I do the V. The problem is right now I just don't want to drive my truck over the V and it's just sitting there collecting dust, it's a shame because it's only a year old. I looked up all the used Colorado trucks on autotrader and the newer low mileage ones are selling for well over 20 grand, since they don't make these trucks anymore they are holding their value well and with the 5.3 v8 engine it's no slouch for a small truck. I found a 2009 E350 Wagon with 35K miles on it for 27 K, I'm going to see if I can work a trade for my truck with the dealer if I can get the time to get down where it's at. My handcycle will fit fine in the benz because they are tall and huge in the cargo area. By doing this I can cut the miles in half I'm driving the V and still be driving in luxury with the Benz, the color combo on the one I'm looking at is real nice.

V2 BRAWN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon white A-6

I love my Volt. It's pretty quick and fairly roomy. The best part is the ride which is more like a big car. My wife and I drive 140 miles a day taking my youngest to private school. That's the job of the Volt which has over 50,000 miles on it now with no problems. Three more years and we will be done with ours.

I should check out a volt and also take a closer look at a TDI Jetta before I do anything. The idea of driving a benz is appealing but the thought of things going wrong with it is not, so I better think this thing through very clearly before I make any moves.

CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    Careful with German cars I have had a VW Toureg and diesel Jetta. Both had crap air conditioners. I took them in and complained and all I got back is that it reduced the air by 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Well when its 110 outside in Louisiana, 90 in the cabin sucks. Aparently the Germans have a fundamentally different definition of air conditioning. None of my American cars have ever had this problem even on hot ass days.

pat2t2f is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    I don't know about Florida but diesel fuel in NY is about 40 cents a gallon more than reticular unleaded and 20 cents a gallon more than super. That severely cuts into the savings. Just something to consider.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.