Looking to buy used CTS-v. Advice neeeded
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Looking to buy used CTS-v. Advice neeeded in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hello, I am tempted to buy an used CTS-v. Currently, I have a '12 Mustang GT which I love, but ...
    DavidPR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Sedan

Looking to buy used CTS-v. Advice neeeded

Hello,

I am tempted to buy an used CTS-v. Currently, I have a '12 Mustang GT which I love, but my kids are outgrowing it. The CTS-v performs as good if not better, and has room for the whole family. Its looks have grown on me.

Anyway, I have some concerns I wish people here could hel me with: First, I am 6'6" tall, and when I test drove a coupe here, my head was literally in the sunroof. The dealer told me the sedan is 2" taller and that I would fit. Unfortunately, there are no sedans around here. Would I fit?

Also, I have done some research, and the consensus is it is a pretty reliable car with some potential of becoming a classic. Would it be worth financing 4 or 6 years for, say, a 2009-2011 model with <50K mies? I am getting double feedback here: some say it is a financial catastrophe, others say it is doable, albeit with some risk, as with everything in life. By the way, my Mustang is on a loan, which I owe pretty close to what it is worth.

Finally, with my Mustang I get about 16 mpg city, and 19 highway (25 if I drive 55 mph, which I never do). I drive somewhat spiritedly. What should I expect on the V?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ptrd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Looking to buy used CTS-v. Advice neeeded

Can't help you on the height but you're going to get average 12-13 mpg in the city and 16-17mpg on the highway.

Also at 1/4 tank left normal fillup is under 12 gallons which equals around 150 mile range for me on average. You will be filling up more often.

Mongopush is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS V

Most 2009's will only finance out 48 months,little better on 2010-2011 .There are plenty of used ones with 15-25k miles out there some still under factory warranties, shouldn't be a problem financing assuming credit isn't an issue.I would look around the internet, trading in other states like I did is pretty common these days. I had my car appraised at car-max which was actually decent trade-in,and then used that number online for leverage. Don't be afraid to low ball either,can always go up,some dealers are too proud of these cars.Then it was a just a matter of mileage, color,etc. for me.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

I would say if you're going to finance for that long, you want a low mileage car. You might have to travel to find the perfect car. I drove 500 miles to pick mine up. It’s worth it because of the price and value of the car so don't leave anything off your wish list. The V is a car enthusiast machine. I look at the V as an all or nothing sort of car, because you're not half assing anything when you buy it. It’s the best of performance and comfort with little or no compromise other than the lightening of your monthly finances. It’s an expensive car, that is expensive to insure, fuel, and license. You have to love it, love all of it enough to make this worth it to you.

I would say find a 2010-2012 model with +/- 20,000 miles, in the low $40k’s in price. It will still have a factory warranty, and the option to extend it. Make sure it’s not modified. Make sure no one else modified it. Make sure the tires are good. There is no reason to pay over 50k for a low mileage CTS-V in my opinion anymore….there are lots of deals out there. I would be iffy about 2009+ CTS-V in the low 30’s in price that have high miles…..you just don’t know who did what to it and most likely someone did do something….

Get the recarro seats. This is an expensive option that adds a lot of value to the car. You can get used to the seats with some trial and error no matter what the haters say. Make sure you get the two toned interior (my opinion but I think it adds some value to the car and breaks up the inside but this is just my opinion). Get the exact color you want. There are a lot of them. I could go either way on the manual or the automatic. They both have their +/-‘s. I ended up going with an auto.

The sedan is definitely larger on the inside, especially with headroom.

I would imagine the Wagon is the same, though I’ve never sat in one.

The coupe would be a pain if the back seat was going to be used daily by anyone but children. There is plenty of leg room and width, it’s just that there is very little head room, and it’s kind of a pain to get back there as the doors just aren’t quite long enough.

The coupe is more distinctive and eye catching.

The Wagon is more rare, and has a certain sleeper family car thing going for it. I drove a SRT8 magnum for 4 years, so I can appreciate it!

The sedan is the original CTS-V.

The MPG will be about the same. In town, anything above 15mpg isn't going to happen. Like someone else said I get about 150 miles give or take on 10-12 gallons of fuel. On the highway I get 20-21. I think the big difference here is, at least so far as I can tell - I can maintain the 20-21 even at 80-85mph. My SRT8 2012 300 was maybe 1mpg better in town, but on the highway it was about the same at 80mph. Yes it says 24-25 because of the cylinder shut off, and at 65-70 I could get 24mpg; however, above 70mph I was only getting 22 mpg at best in the SRT. This may hold true for the Mustang as well I don't know. You should expect 2-3 less mpg in town. This really won't amount to a whole lot if youre used to driving a V8 mustang in town. I would say if you're used to getting 24-26 mpg in town with a boring car....then the extra fuel cost might be a stretch. If you have to drive say 60 miles to work every day....ya know a few mpg does make a difference.

Think about it this way...

12,000 miles of driving per year, $3.89 per gallon:

14 mpg = $3334
    16 mpg = $2917
    20 mpg = $2334
    28 mpg = $1667

Gas is expensive period at current prices. Driving any car is really a good chunk of anyones budget. Now lets think of the cars that get 20-28mpg in town. Are those the kind of cars you want to drive? To me its worth paying the extra cash to drive a car that I enjoy driving. It's not an insignificant amount of money though. You can also count on paying about 2x as much for the license plates every year on that econocrap boring car too. Again this isn't an insignificant amount of money. You have to look at a car like the V as something that you love enough to take the place of other fun things such as guitars, guns, LED TV's, that you might like to buy. If you can do without some of those fun things because you want the car that bad, then go for it. Or maybe you're a rich SOB and don't have to think in those terms. My guess is since you asked the question the car is a bit of a stretch. Stretch is ok, we only live once, but its not worth the stress month to month if you're budget has no flexibility built in.

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

sunroof delete buys you a little room, and the sedan is theoretically an inch or two taller than the coupe/wagon (actually a little longer, too).

Also, you may want to play with seat adjustments in whatever car you try... but the sedan should be the most roomy.

junker87 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by DavidPR View Post
    Hello,

I am tempted to buy an used CTS-v. Currently, I have a '12 Mustang GT which I love, but my kids are outgrowing it. The CTS-v performs as good if not better, and has room for the whole family. Its looks have grown on me.
    My wagon in the FS section has recaro and no sunroof. I am 6'2" with 32" inseam (means I have long torso and in the V sedan with sunroof that I test drove I was touching the sunroof), and I fit fine.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Have you considered the new CTS V Sport? 420 HP, twin turbo V-6, should give pretty decent mileage and power. Hundreds of pounds less is nice too.

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    I totally agree with everything Ravenous said! These cars are amazing and owning one is a joy!
    My last V was a sedan and I can tell you there is at least 2" more headroom. Good luck, let us know how your search goes.

IBMike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Black Diamond Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by baabootoo View Post
    Have you considered the new CTS V Sport? 420 HP, twin turbo V-6, should give pretty decent mileage and power. Hundreds of pounds less is nice too.
    Only an option if you want to wait about a year. (and want to pay as much or more than a used 12 V)

Quote Originally Posted by vfaninva View Post
    I totally agree with everything Ravenous said!
    Agreed, he summed it up pretty well.

I have been looking at used Vs and search all the major website daily. Seen 2 low mileage loaded '12s go for $47,300-$50k, but you gotta jump on them quick!

Also agree, figure out exactly what you want and keep looking until you find it. If you're going to spend that much money, get what you want!

Not sure what your question regarding financing is. I'll just say, IMHO, never buy a vehicle as an investment unless you've got more money than you know what to do with and you can afford to put it in a garage and leave it. Sounds like you're buying a V to be a daily driver with kids in it... buy it, drive the shit out of it, and if you eventually sell it for a decent price, it's a win-win! If not, you still got to drive the shit out of a V! Figre out what you can afford to spend (don't forget to check insurance payment difference) and base your financing on that.

Good luck!

Thanks all who replied. I got approved for a 72 month loan for one with 30Kish miles. Love the car, and would plan to keep it that long, and it depreciates a lot better than my Mustang. But I am concerned about the length of the loan. One, It will be hitting nearly 100K miles when it is paid off, and two, I plan on buying a GMPP, and these are typically 4 years. Do they even sell one for 6 years? How much are they, typically?

But then I have the opposite concern: that my Mustang is depreciating faster and its equity (or lack of it) will even get worse for a while. That and my yearly $300 license plate registration payment is coming up. And by the time it is paid for, my son would be 14 years old and likely a six footer.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Again if you want to buy a car purely for practicality, buy a mini van. Your son scrunched in the back will like you more for driving a V than he will hate the headroom....

The Vsport TT will be more than a brand new CTS-V2. I wouldn't wait unless you have the money and want that specific car.
    IBMike and IBMike like this.

rekctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Its looks have grown on you??

Sounds like to me you really arent a CTS-V fan. My advice is go buy a 4 door Ford Taurus SHO or keep the Mustang.
    It might not take long for the looks of a CTS-V to grow old to you.

Well, I got the loan all set up, ready to dive in and make the deal, and this crap happens: I call Fitchner to get a quote on a GMPP, and it turns out this car has a warranty block on it! Apparently, it was owned by Monticello Motor Club, a racetrack resort, and tracked quite a bit. In fact, the Car Fax shows that it was in "M&M Auto group"'s possession for 21,000 miles. Red flag! Red flag! The dealer offered their own warranty, but I don't think I will take it. What do you think?

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

It was a dedicated track car for a bunch of guys that took turns hammering it, I think I would stay away from this one. If GM won't give you a warranty.....what does that tell you?

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Im 6'9" and had a '11 CTS without a sunroof. Plenty of headroom, but i am all legs. Also had plenty of room on a cts with the sunroof.
    My cts was a 3.0L and would get 28-30mpg on the hwy at 79mph.
    unfortunatley the V should have gotten a 20 gallon tank because cruising range is not good.
    i have heard o fpeople pulling 20mpg with a V though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.