Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Getting my Differential rear end carrier replaced on Friday

9K views 57 replies 19 participants last post by  Cadillac Customer Service 
#1 ·
It's made a gear whine since I got the car @ around 50 mph, pretty loud can even hear it with the radio on, soooo, the dealer ordered it today and will replace it Friday, it's an expensive part, looks to list around 2 grand. They are covering it under warrantee. Be good to get that taken care of.

#31 ·
#33 ·
Well, go in tomorrow for everything. I'm sure the vehicle is under warranty, 2011, 22k miles, I need to add the driver side headlight to the list :( it doesn't move with the passenger side when turn the wheel.

Anyhow, they said they're supposed to give me a loaner tomorrow morning, again, hope this doesn't cost anything either. (New to dealer loaners, Chrysler never offered me this)

Wish me luck.

#34 ·
Well, go in tomorrow for everything. I'm sure the vehicle is under warranty, 2011, 22k miles, I need to add the driver side headlight to the list :( it doesn't move with the passenger side when turn the wheel.

Anyhow, they said they're supposed to give me a loaner tomorrow morning, again, hope this doesn't cost anything either. (New to dealer loaners, Chrysler never offered me this)

Wish me luck.
Loaner won't cost you a dime.

#37 ·
NM11CTSV said:
Update: I was told the tech thinks is a wheel bearing.. We will see. If I get it back and the sound continues, I'll bring it right back. Unless they drive it and find that didn't correct the sound.
Could be...had one of those replaced, too, but they don't drone like a bad carrier. If it comes on between 35-40 in a high gear at cruise and then goes away under power it's not a bearing in a wheel. Listen close!

#43 ·
Originally Posted by 2013 Cadillac Owner's manual

For the first 2 414 km (1,500 miles):
Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops.
Do not exceed 4,000 engine rpm.
Avoid driving at any one constant speed, fast or slow.
Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle when the engine speed will exceed 4000 rpm.
Do not let the engine labor. Never lug the engine in high gear at low speeds. With a manual transmission, shift to the next lower gear. This rule applies at all times, not just during the break-in period.
Do not participate in track events, sport driving schools, or similar activities during this break–in period.

#48 ·
the blur said:
Yes, the car my melt. at a lster
Did you ever see what GM does to this cars right off the assembly line ????????????? "full load testing"
Get a clue, the break-in period has to do with the differential, transmission parts getting used to each other; it's been repeated many, many times on this forum. Learn now before it becomes embarrassing at a later age. A little correct spelling will go a long way, too.

#50 ·
Sorry to bring up an old thread but our '12 CTS-V Wagon has a faint whining/humming noise constantly over 40mph. It happens when on the throttle and cruising, but goes away off the throttle. In addition, I feel some slop in the drivetrain if I let off the gas over 60mph and get back on it. Could this be the same issue? Recently had the supercharger replaced, so I'm wondering if these are just items to begin looking for on any CTS-V.

#51 ·
medici78 said:
Sorry to bring up an old thread but our '12 CTS-V Wagon has a faint whining/humming noise constantly over 40mph. It happens when on the throttle and cruising, but goes away off the throttle. In addition, I feel some slop in the drivetrain if I let off the gas over 60mph and get back on it. Could this be the same issue? Recently had the supercharger replaced, so I'm wondering if these are just items to begin looking for on any CTS-V.
Mine was most noticeable at 35-40 and had the same characteristics you describe. It was harder to hear the faster I went.

#52 ·
This '11 had the rear end whine above 55 which I considered pretty cheesy for a vehicle of this caliber and supposed supreme quality. We really like the car and have had a few other issues repaired, replaced or 'fixed' that were disheartening to have happen to a brand new vehicle; but warranty took care of them.

The rear end whine has now turned into a constant roar and reading these posts causes some alarm about what is going on. Will warn tires make this roar? We still have the Michelin's and we're at almost 19K - end of life for these 20k tires so I was thinking that the tires were causing the noise. Could this be? We were intending to replace the tires very soon anyhow...

Thanks, hope someone has been through this....

BillC

#58 ·
Hello WhoseCadillacIsThat,
I can understand how this can pose a concern and be alarming. Have you brought this to your dealership’s attention? If you would like me to reach out to them on your behalf, please let me know. Just send me a private message including your VIN, contact information and the dealership you would like to work with. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Katie O.
Cadillac Customer Care

#53 ·
I just noticed a slight "roar" myself, with 44K on my 2009. I have to have the windows up, and the radio off to hear it though. I didn't notice it until I put the summer tires back on, so I'm wondering if it just tire noise. Can you hear the rear end whine easily over road noise?

#55 ·
We noticed right away that these PS2's are noisy. Seems like running over a dime makes a thud... Stiff sidewall. I don't hear the whine as pronounced as before but it is still there but is being overtaken by the roar. Thing is, if this is tire noise then it is getting progressively worse but if it's rear end noise we have a differential housing full of that dreaded silvery lube laden with metal. I must get this car to the dealer, get the tires replaced, get the noise checked out. The dealer sent me an offer to buy back the car and I've thought about taking up on that - but damn I like this car!

#56 ·
The diff problem is more of a whine that changes with speed. Typical speed range is 40-60mph. It's distinct from the rear of the car. In terms of sound quality, think of riding around in a shitty taxi with 100k miles on the odometer or a 4x4 truck with the transfer case in low range driving at slow speed.

Worn tires can be very noisy. It's more diffuse sounding, increases with speed but is present at all speeds and can be accentuated with maneuvers like braking hard (putting more weight on worn front tires) or cornering at speed (again, increasing the weight/pressure on worn tires).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.