Getting my Differential rear end carrier replaced on Friday - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Getting my Differential rear end carrier replaced on Friday in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; i'm pretty sure the test for the S/C rattle is if it can be heard over a certain RPM (1,300 ...
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Getting my Differential rear end carrier replaced on Friday

i'm pretty sure the test for the S/C rattle is if it can be heard over a certain RPM (1,300 maybe?)

and the longevity issue was one of the reasons for not using the solid isolator ... the other was cabin noise ... apparently the solid isolator causes more noise inside the cabin

full story can be found here
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...haft-wear.html
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

NM11CTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 11 CTS-V Sedan
    I don't think I can hear anything at 1300rpms. I hear the supercharger whine at about 2k (100% factory car) and that's it.

Well, go in tomorrow for everything. I'm sure the vehicle is under warranty, 2011, 22k miles, I need to add the driver side headlight to the list it doesn't move with the passenger side when turn the wheel.

Anyhow, they said they're supposed to give me a loaner tomorrow morning, again, hope this doesn't cost anything either. (New to dealer loaners, Chrysler never offered me this)

Wish me luck.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NM11CTSV View Post
    Well, go in tomorrow for everything. I'm sure the vehicle is under warranty, 2011, 22k miles, I need to add the driver side headlight to the list it doesn't move with the passenger side when turn the wheel.

Anyhow, they said they're supposed to give me a loaner tomorrow morning, again, hope this doesn't cost anything either. (New to dealer loaners, Chrysler never offered me this)

Wish me luck.
    Loaner won't cost you a dime.

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by NM11CTSV View Post

Wish me luck.
    Hello NM11CTSV,

Good luck with everything! Please keep me informed and reach out to me if there are any questions or additional concerns you would like to discuss.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Update: I was told the tech thinks is a wheel bearing.. We will see. If I get it back and the sound continues, I'll bring it right back. Unless they drive it and find that didn't correct the sound.

Trapspeed is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by NM11CTSV
    Update: I was told the tech thinks is a wheel bearing.. We will see. If I get it back and the sound continues, I'll bring it right back. Unless they drive it and find that didn't correct the sound.
    Could be...had one of those replaced, too, but they don't drone like a bad carrier. If it comes on between 35-40 in a high gear at cruise and then goes away under power it's not a bearing in a wheel. Listen close!

Mine happens under load, and stops making a noise when I let off, 40mph+.

Well they are replacing the headlight, rear carrier, and fixing the seat rock, headrest, and side seat switch panel. Got PNs on the seat repair kit.

Overall, I'm a happy satisfied customer

Good news. That's the only possible scenario for that gear whine. Now....break the new one in right and whining is a memory. Now for the blower.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

i've gotta remember when I pull my car outta storage that the rear end is still not broken in yet, I think the car's been around 600 miles since it was replaced, I wanted to go easy on it for around 1000 miles or so.

So can someone give me the proper procedure on breaking it in properly?

Originally Posted by 2013 Cadillac Owner's manual

For the first 2 414 km (1,500 miles):
    Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops.
    Do not exceed 4,000 engine rpm.
    Avoid driving at any one constant speed, fast or slow.
    Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle when the engine speed will exceed 4000 rpm.
    Do not let the engine labor. Never lug the engine in high gear at low speeds. With a manual transmission, shift to the next lower gear. This rule applies at all times, not just during the break-in period.
    Do not participate in track events, sport driving schools, or similar activities during this break&ndash;in period.

the blur is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed View Post
    Originally Posted by 2013 Cadillac Owner's manual

For the first 2 414 km (1,500 miles):
    Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops.
    Do not exceed 4,000 engine rpm.
    Avoid driving at any one constant speed, fast or slow.
    Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle when the engine speed will exceed 4000 rpm.
    Do not let the engine labor. Never lug the engine in high gear at low speeds. With a manual transmission, shift to the next lower gear. This rule applies at all times, not just during the break-in period.
    Do not participate in track events, sport driving schools, or similar activities during this break–in period.
    Yes, the car may melt.
    Did you ever see what GM does to this cars right off the assembly line ????????????? "full load testing"

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Thats why there are so many whining rear ends out there in these cars, most people cannot resist getting on it right away including the dealers and the guys at GM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.