Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Getting my Differential rear end carrier replaced on Friday

9K views 57 replies 19 participants last post by  Cadillac Customer Service 
#1 ·
It's made a gear whine since I got the car @ around 50 mph, pretty loud can even hear it with the radio on, soooo, the dealer ordered it today and will replace it Friday, it's an expensive part, looks to list around 2 grand. They are covering it under warrantee. Be good to get that taken care of.

#3 ·
Great, I know you've been after them for a while on the blower with the noise, your car will be quiet after, nice. I really can't complain at all about GM lately and the dealer I'm going to now (Coast Cadillac in Sarasota) is amazing, they are really on top of things. I kinda knew sooner or later the carrier would have to be changed. With that type of noise it means things just did not wear in properly from the start. I'm not going to take the car over 60 mph for the first 1000 miles after it's done and totally baby it. I'm going to tell them to be really careful who they let test drive the car right after the job is done, I don't want it beat on right after the install, that's all I'd need is to have the same problem again. My car had 350 miles on it when I got because it was picked up from a distant dealer so who knows how the car was treated in those miles, I was careful for the first 1000 miles.

I asked the service manager if they could install some 4:11 gears, his answers was ah nope. So 3:23 it'll be. Probably good anyhow because i'm always complaining about gas mileage and that woulda made matters worse, lol. Maybe the new gears if worn in right will have a little less friction and I'll get a little better mileage?

#4 · (Edited)
Interesting observation on my recently purchased 2011 coupe. I just turned 4800 miles but it too has a drive line "whine" that is especially loud just at 45 MPH. I'm going to drive everyday for a week or two before I go any further, but it is noisier than any other car I have owned lately. I thought it might be a V thing.

More to follow.

#9 ·
RaVeNous said:
Describe this sound.
Mine hums low pitch at 35-40 MPH at a cruise. Like a harmonic sound coming from behind you. When you give it a little gas, gone.

1997BlackETC said:
Got the job done today, only took about 3 hours, no more noise from the rear end. Just gonna take it real easy with the car for the next 500 miles.
Outstanding! I'm ready for mine.

#13 ·
Hello NM11CTSV,

Congrats on recently getting your vehicle. I hope you are enjoying it so far. As for as the noise issue you are experiencing, which could be similar to others on this forum thread, I recommend taking your vehicle into the dealership. It won't hurt to get it checked out, especially if it is something such as metal filings in the fluid, which 1997BlackETC mentioned in his earlier post, that could possibly get worse with time. If you would like help with setting up an appointment or want to discuss anything further, please let us know. We can also be reached via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

#12 ·
1997BlackETC said:
Great, I know you've been after them for a while on the blower with the noise, your car will be quiet after, nice. I really can't complain at all about GM lately and the dealer I'm going to now (Coast Cadillac in Sarasota) is amazing, they are really on top of things. I kinda knew sooner or later the carrier would have to be changed. With that type of noise it means things just did not wear in properly from the start. I'm not going to take the car over 60 mph for the first 1000 miles after it's done and totally baby it. I'm going to tell them to be really careful who they let test drive the car right after the job is done, I don't want it beat on right after the install, that's all I'd need is to have the same problem again. My car had 350 miles on it when I got because it was picked up from a distant dealer so who knows how the car was treated in those miles, I was careful for the first 1000 miles.

I asked the service manager if they could install some 4:11 gears, his answers was ah nope. So 3:23 it'll be. Probably good anyhow because i'm always complaining about gas mileage and that woulda made matters worse, lol. Maybe the new gears if worn in right will have a little less friction and I'll get a little better mileage?
You can easily get 3:73's.... Just have the dealer order the replacement rear for a CTS-V with a 6-speed manual transmission instead of the automatic.. Same housing, same installation... I'm not sure exactly on all of the particulars.. But, you will need either a handheld tuner like the diablosport Trinity or a professional tune with HpTuners etc to recalibrate the speedo..

#14 ·
Back in 09 when I bought my sedan the common advice was to change the diff fluid at around 1000 miles. Is that still the case? I did so, and never experienced any noise or problems even after a couple HPDE days in the car (other than diff overtemp warnings). If I recall, there were some that were underfilled from the factory so changing the fluid not only flushed any particles but made sure it was properly filled.

#19 ·
NM11CTSV said:
How do I go about getting both diff and supercharger replaced? Both are making noise :(

Has it ever been done in one visit before?
I'm happy to say, yes, it has. Mine were both done at the same time. The dealer even ordered the parts off my verbal complaint alone without even seeing the car! It can be done. Where are you located?

#21 ·
I'm in Albuquerque, NM

My issues I listed were,

Driver seat rock under acceleration and stop, driver headrest bottom plastic is coming off, driver seat circular adjustment buttons somehow got pushed in, diff wine at 40 mph under light acceleration, then stops when I let off, I think that was it. I figured I can go back at a separate visit for the supercharger. I still have the temp tag on the car lol.

#25 ·
NM11CTSV said:
Thank you. This will be my first experience with this dealership, hopefully they take care of me. My next closest cadillac dealership is in Santa Fe, NM.
I do, too. It took me about a year and GM realizing they had a problem to get it done but once the dealer acknowledged a problem (and they freely did) the repairs were done readily and with a smile on their face. Don't be afraid to email dealership GMs either.

#26 ·
Definitely heard the supercharger rattle just now when I got home and turned off the car... Sigh, this dealership is not going to like me. All these things that need to be done are $$$$ and it's going to be all at once. I'm sure they will come up with excuses left and right as to "that's normal, this is normal, etc" and try to not repair anything. With my luck...

#27 ·
Actually that is normal for the supercharger to make a rattle sound when you turn off the car, at least GM says so. This is because there is a spring that kind of backlashes when you shut off the engine. A solid isolater will make it quite, but GM does not allow putting those in the car.

#28 ·
The "normal" routine was what they gave me a year ago. Now, do not be fooled- the blower is going to rattle a bit. Even the new one does. The design will cause that for claimed longevity reasons but many units began to make a lot of noise. They developed a threshold for the normal range and if it exceeds it they replace it. All the tech or manager needs to do is write it up that way and you should sail. The new blower is much quieter than the old one.

As for the rear carrier, mine was a time bomb waiting to blow. A bearing had separated and both main gears were pitted. That was a no-brainer. Just be politely persistent and see what happens. Like I said, don't be afraid to involve dealership management if you're not happy.

#30 ·
NM11CTSV said:
Okay. Well if the supercharger rattle is normal, I'll leave it for now. I still have My extended warranty that will cover me
Don't "settle" for normal yet. Let them hear it and make a ruling. They've replaced so many of them lately the stock was running short. At least get in on record. As for the rear end, many were going out at less than 10K miles. Let them look at that, too. Records may save you later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.