What should I ask for my 2011 CTS-V, Sport Wagon, Black Diamond Edition - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, What should I ask for my 2011 CTS-V, Sport Wagon, Black Diamond Edition in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by Metacomet Here is the ad for my car http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/3735686577.html They are making a '14 Vagon... GLWS!...
    IBMike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Black Diamond Coupe

Re: What should I ask for my 2011 CTS-V, Sport Wagon, Black Diamond Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
    They are making a '14 Vagon...

GLWS!

CTS-V Dragon Wagon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by IBMike View Post
    They are making a '14 Vagon...

GLWS!
    I thought there wasn't going to be a CTS-V Wagon?

IBMike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Black Diamond Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by CTS-V Dragon Wagon View Post
    I thought there wasn't going to be a CTS-V Wagon?
    http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...lineup-117709/

They're going to make a 14 V in all body styles... it'll still be a V2.

Metacomet is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS-V Sport Wagon, Black Diamond

Just an update

After playing games with several folks who were more interested in a few hundred dollar discount that owning a future legend, I've decided to offer my wagon again

If you are interested, and know and understand what this is, I will take $50,000

This is not negotiable

There are none available, and never will be

That is what it is worth to me, so that is what I will accept

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/05/...-v-sportwagon/

http://www.motortrend.com/features/t...n/viewall.html

...and the Black Diamond versions were a fraction of the V-Wagon total

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Why should someone pay that kind of money when you can get a brand new 2012 with next to no miles for around 55K?

Metacomet is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS-V Sport Wagon, Black Diamond

Because you can't

..goes to the comment on understanding what the car is

You find me one and I'll buy it

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC View Post
    Why should someone pay that kind of money when you can get a brand new 2012 with next to no miles for around 55K?
    the `12's (Wagons) that I was seeing for $52-55K had 18,000+ miles on them. Not bad, but you're still 18+months into the warranty with decent mileage. IMHO that's the sweet spot for value, but it's also three or five thousand more than what OP is asking. They also sold fairly quickly at that price so you couldn't haggle much; the dealers knew they were priced to sell.

The only negative for OP is the year - two cars being otherwise identical in color, options and mileage means the year-older car is worth 2-3K less. It can be an issue for financing (rates based on years) and of course warranty coverage.

I expect the "$50K firm" will last as long as it takes for him to get a solid $48K deal?

jzips is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V wagon

Quote Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
    I think there were more than a dozen of those built in 2011

Autotrader search indicates most are asking 42-57k for an auto 2011 wagon with the majority clustered at 45-50k. Searching Autotrader and Cars.com would be a good first step. Then post in the classies here.
    I have the identical configuration on a 2013 wagon. They don't call it the "black diamond edition" but it's identical. Can't be that rare.

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

Quote Originally Posted by jzips View Post
    I have the identical configuration on a 2013 wagon. They don't call it the "black diamond edition" but it's identical. Can't be that rare.
    Yeah, but they make "special edition" cars because so many suckers out there buy into the propaganda and pay more for the luxury (ignoring those who buy the package because it's the only way to get a certain option or color).

For example, the 2008 "Cooksey" Special Edition Z06 was a grand total of 505 vehicles, with approximately 427 sold in North America. If you break the number of Z06's down by color and interior trim - one of the big draws to the "limited" nature of the run - it's actually one of the MOST numerous variants out there. For 2009 and later years, forgettaboutit: there were almost fewer total Z's made for the entire year of 2010 and literally any exterior color (regardless of interior trim) would be more rare than the Special Editions by a huge margin if you're interested in one of ___ variants. It didn't help that the color, the special wheels and interior trim were all available as standard options in the following years - just like the Black Diamond editions here.

For some reason, however, the factory designation always seems to bring a slight premium... again, I suppose it's because of the perception of rarity second to the label. Like putting a fancy ring label on a cigar?

So special/limited edition runs are rarely about making a truly collectible car. The idea of "collectibility" is really a fool's errand for most of us, but auto makers know that to boost sales, you create the illusion of chic, and of limited availability (reality has no bearing on public perception). In our case, the Black Diamond edition and the Silver Frost editions will probably not be any more rare than a MN6 Wagon of any color - and probably much more common in sedan/coupe variants.

In either case, it's something for people to talk about and to buy so they can have something special. Hell, that's part of the fun of my MN6 Wagon: thinking it's something special. But the used car market is not about Limited Editions, it's about how much someone wants to pay for your used car.

Lastly, I would add that in the used car market, people tend to be much more willing to trade certain options or colors for a better deal, so that "limited" draw wears off but for the very few who really want an old model that's no longer the Next New Thing and are willing to buy someone else's sloppy seconds to get it.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Quote Originally Posted by Random84

Yeah, but they make "special edition" cars because so many suckers out there buy into the propaganda and pay more for the luxury (ignoring those who buy the package because it's the only way to get a certain option or color).

For example, the 2008 "Cooksey" Special Edition Z06 was a grand total of 505 vehicles, with approximately 427 sold in North America. If you break the number of Z06's down by color and interior trim - one of the big draws to the "limited" nature of the run - it's actually one of the MOST numerous variants out there. For 2009 and later years, forgettaboutit: there were almost fewer total Z's made for the entire year of 2010 and literally any exterior color (regardless of interior trim) would be more rare than the Special Editions by a huge margin if you're interested in one of ___ variants. It didn't help that the color, the special wheels and interior trim were all available as standard options in the following years - just like the Black Diamond editions here.

For some reason, however, the factory designation always seems to bring a slight premium... again, I suppose it's because of the perception of rarity second to the label. Like putting a fancy ring label on a cigar?

So special/limited edition runs are rarely about making a truly collectible car. The idea of "collectibility" is really a fool's errand for most of us, but auto makers know that to boost sales, you create the illusion of chic, and of limited availability (reality has no bearing on public perception). In our case, the Black Diamond edition and the Silver Frost editions will probably not be any more rare than a MN6 Wagon of any color - and probably much more common in sedan/coupe variants.

In either case, it's something for people to talk about and to buy so they can have something special. Hell, that's part of the fun of my MN6 Wagon: thinking it's something special. But the used car market is not about Limited Editions, it's about how much someone wants to pay for your used car.

Lastly, I would add that in the used car market, people tend to be much more willing to trade certain options or colors for a better deal, so that "limited" draw wears off but for the very few who really want an old model that's no longer the Next New Thing and are willing to buy someone else's sloppy seconds to get it.
    Unnamed sources have said that the NRA Edition is the one to get; the only catch is that you have to buy a life membership to the NRA; a small penalty to pay for a rare edition.

Jud
    Jud

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.