Motor threw a rod
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Motor threw a rod in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Bought 09 cts v from a dealer 2 months ago. When bought car had a tune headers exhaust air intake ...
    Maco504 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 cadillac cts v

Motor threw a rod

Bought 09 cts v from a dealer 2 months ago. When bought car had a tune headers exhaust air intake and under factory warranty and I also bought an extended warranty. Neither warranty wants to cover it owner of dealership doesn't know what to do. What's your opinion?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mike02z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan Black Raven 6 speed manual

Re: Motor threw a rod

Having a tune will void the power train warranty. Changing parameters in the ECM is a no-no for GM.GM can't control what a tuner does and will not usually make good on any power train issue once the ECM has been modified. The dealer MUST send the ECM data to GM before they will authorize a new engine and if your car is tuned, GM will know it. I hate to say it but I think your out the cost of an engine. The dealer who sold you the car should have infomed you that you were buying a car without a GM power train warranty. If it was an aftermarket warranty, maybe you'll have better luck. Sorry to hear about this and wish you the best.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

+1 you are SOL. Tunes void the GM powertrain warranty. Sorry!

pat2t2f is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    You should at least get your money back for the extended warranty that apparently was never valid. Sorry to hear about that. It does suck.

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

What state are you in. Email me at jessebubb at yahoo.com I can see what kind of help I can offer.

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
    Having a tune will void the power train warranty. Changing parameters in the ECM is a no-no for GM.
    I would agree with this part if Maco was the one who put the tune on the car, but he didn't. He bought it from the dealer like that. In this case I think it's 100% the dealer's responsibility for selling him the car in that state, and then selling him a warranty that they knew they wouldn't honor.

To put it another way, Maco didn't do anything that voided his warranty. He did literally nothing other than buy the car. Somebody needs to eat the engine repair or replacement cost, and I don't think it should be Maco.

GM-4-LIFE is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 MN6 V Coupe, 2015i Escalade on Order

Get an attorney and go after the dealer that sold the vehicle to you like that without returning the vehicle back to stock and flashing the PCM back to a factory tune.

You can also contact Cadillac customer assistance center to get a file going just to make sure all your issues are documented. Get them to escalate the issue up the chain and hopefully you can get something done. Sorry to hear about all this.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

But still if the car was bought with a intake and headers it should have been a warning that the car had a tune also. The dealer is gonna use this arguement that you knew that the car was modified and you bought it.

It's very unusual that these engines throw a rod. Almost unheard of. What were you doing to the car? Maybe the rev limiter was bumped way up with the tune or something?

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC View Post
    But still if the car was bought with a intake and headers it should have been a warning that the car had a tune also. The dealer is gonna use this arguement that you knew that the car was modified and you bought it.

It's very unusual that these engines throw a rod. Almost unheard of. What were you doing to the car? Maybe the rev limiter was bumped way up with the tune or something?
    Since 2008 I know of 81 blown oem cts v engines. 78% of those failures have been in the 640 and higher hp range.
    4 cars have been stock with tunes.
    the rest have been install errors with tune errors or bad parts for the remaining.
    Rod failure or piston failure have occurred in all the 81.
    Block condition has been noted to be poor condition past 630rwhp mark with higher miles past 20k.

Just to add to this, in case someone thinks it. I have not been responsible for any of these blown engines. All work was done at other shops all over the world in this list.

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC View Post
    The dealer had a specific responsibility to inform the buyer that the ecu was modified and that they wouldn't honor the warranty they were selling him. It's 100% their fault as far as I can tell. A lack of full disclosure makes them liable.
    tinman, tinman, odla and 3 others like this.

Im in louisiana. This car has been babied sience I got it definitely didn't do anything that would throw a rod. As far as getting a lawyer I have one on standby. The dealer I bought the car from gave me a loaner car today so hopefully something will happen I believe they r liable only time will tell. Thanks for y'all's input keep it coming maybe we can find someone that had a similar problem.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Maco504, have you had the opportunity to contact our Cadillac Customer Assistance Center yet regarding your best next steps? If you would like me to investigate at any point, please don't hesitate to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for further assistance. As CTS-V-Twin mentioned, we're happy to help where we can!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

I just contacted cadillac and they say they will call me back.

pat2t2f is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I would read every piece of paper they gave you to make sure there is no fine print saying the car has been modified and has no warranty. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Cadillac denied the claim so now it's time to start pressuring the dealership I bought it from. It definitely doesn't say that the cars been modified with no warranty. It says that I bought an extended warranty "quality guard plus."

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.