Photos of Martin Cadillac of Beverly Hills $700 paint sealant upgrade - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Photos of Martin Cadillac of Beverly Hills $700 paint sealant upgrade in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by Karch I can't see how or why they would replace the entire car. Did I miss something? ...
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Re: Photos of Martin Cadillac of Beverly Hills $700 paint sealant upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Karch View Post
    I can't see how or why they would replace the entire car. Did I miss something? Is something wrong with the car other than the paint and chrome pieces?
    Does that not count as enough? He was sold a damaged car. Not one that was damaged and fixed. He should get a new car...or a huge rebate...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Karch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 TG sedan, 6A,LPE 650, and a few more mods.

I agree, but I don't know if they are going to do that.

For instance, if he were to try to sell it today, he takes a hit, first for it being pre-owned, then for the repaint.

If he sells it in a few years, he takes a few thousand hit in resale because of the repaint. But, if he sells it in 10-15 years, with 100K+ on the odometer, he doesn't really take a hit because of the repaint.

I think he's entitled to compensation, and I'd like to see the dealer step up and replace it, but not sure if they will.

As said before, the dealer network for the (former) "Big 3" is the biggest problem in customer service and satisfaction, IMO.

RobF300 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan HIS, 2012 CTS4 coupe- Her's

once repainted it might as well be considered a used or demo car, period

the law does specify that a certain dollar amount of repairs relative to the value of the vehicle does not qualify, but these are usually enthusiast's cars and we dont like them repaired before we even take possession of them.

Agreed. But, if I was a lawyer, I'd claim damage is damage. Paint, metal, engine, etc. Damage is damage.
    hulksdaddy and hulksdaddy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF300 View Post
    once repainted it might as well be considered a used or demo car, period

the law does specify that a certain dollar amount of repairs relative to the value of the vehicle does not qualify, but these are usually enthusiast's cars and we dont like them repaired before we even take possession of them.
    It was used once he signed the contract and reported it to DMV.

RobF300 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan HIS, 2012 CTS4 coupe- Her's

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Agreed. But, if I was a lawyer, I'd claim damage is damage. Paint, metal, engine, etc. Damage is damage.
    understood, but what im saying is if I recall the law specifies that, lets use this car for example:

a hood repaint @ $500 is not enough of a repair that you have to inform the potential owner about on a $70k car.

Sad part is the OP bought this as a potential showcar and by finding these issues he has lost his love for it. I hate the feeling when you buy something new and you have a problem with it when it becomes something you dont even want to look at.

I had a similar experience when I bought my car used, it was given to me in such a way I didnt even look at the car for a week, I brought it to 2 buddie's shops and had little issues resolved and had a 2 day detail before I would even let my wife sit in it. Meanwhile it really wasnt THAT bad I totally over reacted but thats how those passionate about their cars get.

They could have driven this car as a demo and sold it and the new owner would accept its little flaws because he bought the car knowing it wasnt BRAND NEW.

The dealer will hopefully see that this guy will never be happy unless they replace that car. Sometimes they just need to take one on the chin and try to make the customer happy.

It was used once he signed the contract and reported it to DMV.
    but he bought it as new, a repaired car should have been offered as a demo car
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF300 View Post
    but he bought it as new, a repaired car should have been offered as a demo car
    True, if it was repaired prior to purchase, he should have been told as such.

I've been to that dealership quite a few times. I never thought they were trying to do anything out of order, but still, it doesn't surprise me anymore.

I did have a couple of nice test drives with Greg over there, and would use him if I were buying a new one there.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Yes, that's exactly the point, when you buy a car "new" you expect it to be new and not re-worked. Even them doing that paint seal treatment without being ordered to do so by the customer is not right. There should be some kind of law which puts a end to these kind of practices and makes it illegal. To the O/P, do you think the hood was re-painted when the car was returned to them to correct the paint seal swirl marks? If so that's really unethical that they did not tell you they were repainting the hood.

TWD3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 CTS-V Coupe, '09 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC View Post
    To the O/P, do you think the hood was re-painted when the car was returned to them to correct the paint seal swirl marks? If so that's really unethical that they did not tell you they were repainting the hood.
    There were scratches in the paint around chrome they removed to have the chrome made into "black chrome". I assume they either scratched the cars paint when they were removing the chrome or putting it back on the car. When I noticed the deep scratches on the top of the front corner panel adjacent to the hod and rear trunk, fine hairline scratches in the paint and a long list of other issues I returned the car for repair. When I later picked up the car the fine scratches in the paint were replaced with deep swirl marks and holographing in the paint, black chrome and headlights and taillights as well as measurable reduction in paint thickness in various areas around the car. It also now appears that in at least the case of the top of the front quarter panel the dealer repainted a portion of it to remedy the scratches they put in the paint around the side front quarter panel vent.

I am hopeful that when the owner sees my car he will do the right thing and that I will be able to report Martin Automotive is a good dealer to do business with. Hopefully this is just a chain of unfortunate events that will be made right once the owner sees the magnitude of damage his employees did to my new car.
    IBMike and IBMike like this.

pat2t2f is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I'm glad this is moving forward. Don't let the owner try to offer you some 'extended warranty' or other crap like that that doesn't cost them any money. Remember, these are sales people, don't let them sell you anything. Go in there knowing what you want and don't deviate from that. Any offers they make get in writing. If you can, try and record the conversation without them knowing about it. If they say something incriminating, of if they make a deal they try to back out of later, maybe you can use it against them if things go bad

hulksdaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): <-----"Hulk" 2000-2012...He will always be missed :-(

Cadillac, step up, do the right thing, get him into a new car.

And punish the sh*t outta that dealer.
    neuronbob and neuronbob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hulksdaddy View Post

If the dealer doesn't step up big, I agree...

----------

Quote Originally Posted by pat2t2f View Post
    I'm glad this is moving forward. Don't let the owner try to offer you some 'extended warranty' or other crap like that that doesn't cost them any money. Remember, these are sales people, don't let them sell you anything. Go in there knowing what you want and don't deviate from that. Any offers they make get in writing. If you can, try and record the conversation without them knowing about it. If they say something incriminating, of if they make a deal they try to back out of later, maybe you can use it against them if things go bad
    Those recordings would be illegal in many states. Not sure about California...

pat2t2f is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    It never hurts to have them. In NY, if one person in the conversation knows its being recorded then its legal. It never hurts to have it.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

As said before, the dealer network for the (former) "Big 3" is the biggest problem in customer service and satisfaction, IMO.
    It's not the network that's the problem ... it's the bad apples in that network

Quote Originally Posted by hulksdaddy View Post

and this is related... there's not much that corporate can do (what would you have them do if they could do anything anyway?)
    the dealer contract is not something that i'm very familiar with but it pretty much limits what corporate can and can't do when it comes to the dealers
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

hulksdaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): <-----"Hulk" 2000-2012...He will always be missed :-(

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    It's not the network that's the problem ... it's the bad apples in that network

and this is related... there's not much that corporate can do (what would you have them do if they could do anything anyway?)
    the dealer contract is not something that i'm very familiar with but it pretty much limits what corporate can and can't do when it comes to the dealers
    Corporate can get him a new car. Ask me how I know.

And contracts didn't limit them from ditching dealers during the Great Purge after the bailout. I'm sure there's penalties that can be levied, even as simple as reducing allocations of hot product.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.