Dealer damages my new v's paint- advise please! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Dealer damages my new v's paint- advise please! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Status update: I took the car to a high end detailer in Costa Mesa California who reviewed the damage done ...
    TWD3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 CTS-V Coupe, '09 Escalade

Re: Dealer damages my new v's paint- advise please!

Status update:

I took the car to a high end detailer in Costa Mesa California who reviewed the damage done to the paint- Doctor Detail: http://www.doctordetail.com/

I talked directly with the owner Darren. After closely examining the paint he informed me that it would cost approx $1,000 to attempt to correct the issues but that he could not guarantee I would be happy with the final results and that the paint would never be as good as if the dealer had not damaged the paint in the first place.

I have also been in contact with General Motors where I have been handed off to three separate representatives as the usual representative was on vacation or away. The first two seemed very knowledgeable and were pressing for a total vehicle replacement due to the fact that not only is the paint irreparably damaged, but so too is the custom dealer installed black chrome which has swirl marks from the dealer not applying detailers tape prior to using a polishing wheel.

I then attempted to talk with the regional Cadillac representative so I could show him the paint and other issues with my car but according to GM, he is not interested in seeing either the car, or in talking with me. She told me, "he trusts the dealer and since I don't want the dealer to correct the problem (a third attempt to correct the paint with the wheel) he has nothing to say to me".

I asked to talk to a supervisor but was told none can take my call but that she will attempt to have one call me back.

Now I don't know what to do. From what I gather unless I allow the same dealer who messed up my paint in the first place and who attempted to correct the problem a second time only to make it MUCH worse, I can get no meaningful assistance from General Motors. I gotta say I've owned a BMW M5, a BMW M Coupe, a Range Rover and a Mercedes Benz and have had nothing but exceptional dealer service with all. This is by far the least satisfactory high end purchase I have ever made and not because I don't like the car, from what I can gather it is a great car. The problem is in a dealer focused on profit above customer service and the manufacturers anemic attempt to assist me in a satisfactory resolution.

I am reaching out now to Katie and have send her an email. Hopefully she can assist me in reaching a favorable resolution where I get the new CTS V Coupe I paid for.

If anyone has any experience with matters like this or how to get in contact with people at GM in a position to actually help I would really love to hear from you. I'll take some high rez video of the damage and attempt to upload it to YouTube so people can see what I am dealing with.

Thanks again for all your good advice thus far.

pat2t2f is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I would try to get a final decision from GM regarding a vehicle replacement. If that does not happen I would contact a lawyer, consumer affairs and the BBB. You could take them to small claims court for the $1,000. Photos of the damage and an estimate from the body shop (maybe go to one or two more and bring all three estimates). I believe the dealer, being a business, has to bring a lawyer. That extra expense might make them cave. Basically they are hoping you go away. Show them you will not.

austin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~
    Just have it professionally clay barred. Send the bill to the dealer.. That should do the trick.

CadillacKoenig is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Coupe

Im a salesman for a Cadillac Dealer. How have the majority of you had such bad experiences with your local dealers or dealers in general? Every thread has something negative about dealers. It just shocks me that many could be that horendous. I mean sure there are bad ones but still.

But sounds like you need to find a reputable dealer / detailer and your car will be fine. Quit worrying about the clear coat man! Any good place will take good care of you.

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by TWD3 View Post
    Status update:
    I took the car to a high end detailer in Costa Mesa California who reviewed the damage done to the paint- Doctor Detail: http://www.doctordetail.com/

I talked directly with the owner Darren. After closely examining the paint he informed me that it would cost approx $1,000 to attempt to correct the issues but that he could not guarantee I would be happy with the final results and that the paint would never be as good as if the dealer had not damaged the paint in the first place.
    That's not right. I would take it to one of the other places I posted up for an estimate. A good detailer can do a correction that will leave the paint in BETTER than showroom condition (from a shine and perfection standpoint).

That shouldn't be an issue. It might take a while, but could easily be done. Doctor Detail seems decent, but they don't specialize in FULL CORRECTION, which is what you need -- and what the other guys do. The finish should be perfect following a correction - no excuses or maybes....

Quote Originally Posted by austin View Post
    Just have it professionally clay barred. Send the bill to the dealer.. That should do the trick.
    No disrespect here, but a clay bar simply removes contaminants from the paint. Like overspray or sap or whatever. And it swirls the car up in the process. You only want to clay a car if you plan on following it up with a full polishing of the vehicle (4-6 hours) with a DA polisher and proper polishing compound (Meguiars 205 or equivalent). It's the polishing that helps the finish, not the clay bar. Note: this is minor polishing, not a full correction, and doesn't apply to the OP.

----------

I have also been in contact with General Motors where I have been handed off to three separate representatives as the usual representative was on vacation or away. The first two seemed very knowledgeable and were pressing for a total vehicle replacement due to the fact that not only is the paint irreparably damaged, but so too is the custom dealer installed black chrome which has swirl marks from the dealer not applying detailers tape prior to using a polishing wheel.

I then attempted to talk with the regional Cadillac representative so I could show him the paint and other issues with my car but according to GM, he is not interested in seeing either the car, or in talking with me. She told me, "he trusts the dealer and since I don't want the dealer to correct the problem (a third attempt to correct the paint with the wheel) he has nothing to say to me".

I asked to talk to a supervisor but was told none can take my call but that she will attempt to have one call me back.

Now I don't know what to do. From what I gather unless I allow the same dealer who messed up my paint in the first place and who attempted to correct the problem a second time only to make it MUCH worse, I can get no meaningful assistance from General Motors. I gotta say I've owned a BMW M5, a BMW M Coupe, a Range Rover and a Mercedes Benz and have had nothing but exceptional dealer service with all. This is by far the least satisfactory high end purchase I have ever made and not because I don't like the car, from what I can gather it is a great car. The problem is in a dealer focused on profit above customer service and the manufacturers anemic attempt to assist me in a satisfactory resolution.

I am reaching out now to Katie and have send her an email. Hopefully she can assist me in reaching a favorable resolution where I get the new CTS V Coupe I paid for.

If anyone has any experience with matters like this or how to get in contact with people at GM in a position to actually help I would really love to hear from you. I'll take some high rez video of the damage and attempt to upload it to YouTube so people can see what I am dealing with.
    GM probably won't help here. And for god's sake DO NOT take it back to that dealer, no matter how many times they or GM promises that 'this time we'll get it just perfect'. They just don't have the skills to make it right at this point.

The car just needs a 15-20 hour correction from a pro.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacKoenig View Post
    Im a salesman for a Cadillac Dealer. How have the majority of you had such bad experiences with your local dealers or dealers in general? Every thread has something negative about dealers. It just shocks me that many could be that horendous. I mean sure there are bad ones but still.

But sounds like you need to find a reputable dealer / detailer and your car will be fine. Quit worrying about the clear coat man! Any good place will take good care of you.
    I have found ALL dealers to be careless, horrible, and basically incompetent. This goes double for any kind of paint/finish/or interior issue.

They are used to working on cars for people that REALLY don't care intensely about cars. No offense, but YOUR comments about 'not worrying about the clear coat' and 'any good place will take car of you' indicate that you are of EXACTLY the same mindset as of the all the crappy dealers.

Hell, just have Jimmy the porter slap a dirty ole buffing wheel on the thing and get it out the door to Joe Schmucky.... um, no thanks!

I'd estimate that probably 95% of dealers and techs DO NOT even really know what swirls marks are! If they did, they'd shoot their swirlomatic tunnel washes with a ****ing bazooka.
    hulksdaddy and hulksdaddy like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Hey! What if the porter's name was cdog533, huh? Huh?

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

...I am reaching out now to Katie and have send her an email. Hopefully she can assist me in reaching a favorable resolution where I get the new CTS V Coupe I paid for...
    Thank you for your patience, TWD! I just missed your post Friday (my business week is typically Monday through Friday, 8am to 4:30pm EST), so I just received your email this morning when I returned to the office. I will be replying today once I investigate, and please don't hesitate to email me in the meantime if you have updates or additional concerns.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Katie,
    Thanks for responding to my email however as stated, I have already contact the GM customer service number with zero assistance from GM on this issue. If you can help me in getting assistance in this matter please let me know.

Regarding the damage to my new CTS V Coupe's black paint job, I am creating a new thread showing pictures of the damage as well as photos taken of a paint thickness gauge showing as much as 2 mils removed from the paint.

Photos of paint damage including paint thickness readings: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...lls-700-a.html

CadillacKoenig is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Coupe

You sir CDOG533, are very ignorant. My comments resound to what the others have already said. But back to the topic. The Clear Coat will not be ruined, now it comes to finding someone that can restore the rest, in my professional opinion being VERY picky and meticulous about any of my cars, and my clients cars. Now not seeing it I could be wrong but that doesn't happen often. I suggest you actually wait to see if Katie can help you. Then go down the road to leave accurate reviews about the dealer and the way things were handled. Then keep keep keep bugging them. Then regardless, find a different dealer. If you were my client I would pay to get it done at a place I know would make it better than new!
    cdog533 and cdog533 like this.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Normally for gm to get involved in something like this it has to be requested from the dealer for them to do so. Since it is not apparently being requested it will more than likely not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacKoenig View Post
    You sir CDOG533, are very ignorant. My comments resound to what the others have already said. But back to the topic. The Clear Coat will not be ruined, now it comes to finding someone that can restore the rest, in my professional opinion being VERY picky and meticulous about any of my cars, and my clients cars. Now not seeing it I could be wrong but that doesn't happen often. I suggest you actually wait to see if Katie can help you. Then go down the road to leave accurate reviews about the dealer and the way things were handled. Then keep keep keep bugging them. Then regardless, find a different dealer. If you were my client I would pay to get it done at a place I know would make it better than new!
    The clear coat has been compromised so a new car is in order: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...lls-700-a.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.