Polished Aluminum Wheel Repair
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Polished Aluminum Wheel Repair in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I apologize if this has already been discussed to death...but I am looking for a recommendation for someone to repair ...
    RGaret is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Polished Aluminum Wheel Repair

I apologize if this has already been discussed to death...but I am looking for a recommendation for someone to repair my polished aluminum wheels. I curbed two of them and want them repaired. Not dented or bent, just curb rash. Since these aren't painted I thought it maybe a bit more difficult to do. I am on long island and asking for referrals.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Wannago is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, Black, Auto

Re: Polished Aluminum Wheel Repair

I might be wrong, but i do belive that the "polished" wheels are in fact painted as well. I have a couple small areas I need to get fixed on mine. Let's see what the experts have to say...

Quote Originally Posted by Wannago View Post
    I might be wrong, but i do belive that the "polished" wheels are in fact painted as well. I have a couple small areas I need to get fixed on mine. Let's see what the experts have to say...
    I do believe there is a clear coat on them as well. I have had painted wheels repaired and they are relatively easy to do.

embassured is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I've had my polished rims repaired via a mobile unit for $90 per wheel and yes, they are clear coated.

The technician recommended not clear coating the repaired area as the it would simply flake away over time. To do it properly, he stated the entire rim would need to be stripped and re-cleared.

The repaired area will oxidize (cloud) slightly over time and twice a year I'll use some regular paint polishing compound to remove the oxidation. It's simple and easy and, in my opinion, I would not worry about re-clearing the entire wheel unless the rashing is over a huge area.

Good luck,
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by embassured View Post
    I've had my polished rims repaired via a mobile unit for $90 per wheel and yes, they are clear coated.

The technician recommended not clear coating the repaired area as the it would simply flake away over time. To do it properly, he stated the entire rim would need to be stripped and re-cleared.

The repaired area will oxidize (cloud) slightly over time and twice a year I'll use some regular paint polishing compound to remove the oxidation. It's simple and easy and, in my opinion, I would not worry about re-clearing the entire wheel unless the rashing is over a huge area.

Good luck,
    Eric
    Who did your repair? Do you think the dealer can do this or will they just call someone else anyway?

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

I curbed mine, right front. Found a place in town, and they did the repair. He makes visits to dealerships, so I scheduled it with a service. Cost me $125 to R&R and rebalance the tire. It's perfect now, you would never know it was rashed. I found him via Google, and then read his reviews, all were positive...

embassured is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Mine was repaired by a mobile rim repair guy and that was referred by a dent repair shop. The dealerships sub this type of work out - so your service adviser may be able to provide you a lead. BTW, the mobile service was superb. He came to the house, removed the rims, disappeared into his trailer for an hour, put the rims back on and everything looked great.

Best,
    Eric

Purple87SS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Black Raven CTS-V, 1987 Turbo Buick WE4

Dealership tried to "fix" one of mine which they damaged, and ended up doing it on the cheap- repaired/smoothed the metal and painted my polished wheels silver. Looked terrible and a long story short, they replaced the wheel. Unless you have seen the shops repair work first hand, I'd be cautious with a polished wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple87SS View Post
    Dealership tried to "fix" one of mine which they damaged, and ended up doing it on the cheap- repaired/smoothed the metal and painted my polished wheels silver. Looked terrible and a long story short, they replaced the wheel. Unless you have seen the shops repair work first hand, I'd be cautious with a polished wheel.
    I tend to agree. You can't paint the polished wheels so how can they possibly be fixed? Mine are not too bad so I think I will just live with it. Not going to replace them because that's way too expensive.

Any other suggestions from anyone?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.