Advice and opinions needed.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Advice and opinions needed. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I totaled a 2006 BMW M5 and replaced it with a 2011 Genisis 4.6. The car has no soul and ...
    LJMartin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Advice and opinions needed.

I totaled a 2006 BMW M5 and replaced it with a 2011 Genisis 4.6. The car has no soul and I think I made a mistake, so I'm now looking to replace it. I narrowed my choices to either a 2010 BMW M5 or A 2011 CTS-V. Has anyone went to the CTS-V from an M5 and if so your thoughts. One of the best features of the M5 is the sound of the V10 and the seats. I think the CTS-V may have better options available as it is a newer platform than the 6 year old platform of the M5. The maintenance cost of the M5 are out of the world with $300 oil changes and $1000 plug changes. If I decide on the CTS-V it will be the sedan with the 6 speed manual tranny. What are the must have options and is the HUD option still available on the CST-V. Any and all opinions are appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Crystal Red CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V CRM Coupe (Airaid Intake & Corsa), 2011 Z06/Z07

Re: Advice and opinions needed.

No HUD has ever been available on the CTS-V.

RGaret is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by LJMartin View Post
    I totaled a 2006 BMW M5 and replaced it with a 2011 Genisis 4.6. The car has no soul and I think I made mistake, so I'm now looking to replace it. I narrowed my choices to either a 2010 BMW M5 or A 2011 CTS-V. Has anyone went to the CTS-V from an M5 and if so your thoughts. One of the best features of the M5 is the sound of the V10 and the seats. I think the CTS-V may have better options available as it is a newer platform than the 6 year old platform of the M5. The maintenance cost of the M5 are out of the world with $300 oil changes and $1000 plug changes. If I decide on the CTS-V it will be the sedan with the 6 speed manual tranny. What are the must have options and is the HUD option still available on the CST-V. Any and all opinions are appreciated.
    Must Haves:
    Sunroof
    Recaro Seats

Would Avoid:
    Suede Wheel and Shifter (I have them, they are hard to keep looking new)

Recommended:
    Automatc Trans (2012 or newer as this has the uprated shifting algorithm)

Trapspeed is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by LJMartin
    The maintenance cost of the M5 are out of the world with $300 oil changes and $1000 plug changes.
    My friend, you've made your choice clear with this statement right here. There is no question the M5 is a beast but the two cars in my mind aren't even the same. Despite the maintenance cost, the LS series engines and transmissions are bulletproof and will handle a tremendous thrashing with relative ease.

If you take some of that M5 maintenance budget you'll buy enough extra power to leave any M series car like it's tied to a tree. Test drive one and see what it's like. Guarantee you'll know your decision was right the first time you need preventative maintenance. Let us know what you decide.

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

Get a manual V or at least try one before you buy an autp

shchow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS-V; 2010 Escalade ESV

I had the E60 M5 prior to my V.
    You mentioned that you are looking at 2010 M5 and the costs associated with maintenance.
    I'm a little confused. The M5 comes with 4 year/50k service and maintenance included.
    You should have at least another year of service included, unless its already got over 50k in mileage.
    As far as the driving dynamics, the two cars have completely different feel.
    The one thing that favors the V is the massive torque.
    The M5 is much more high strung and more involving to drive.
    The suspension in the V is head and shoulders better than the M.
    The naturally aspirated M is more responsive and livelier.
    If you're into modding, the V is the clear winner here.

Since you've already owned an E60 M5, I would recommend getting the V for a different experience.

Thanks for all your input and would welcome any more someone might want to add. My mind is set on a manual. The only automatic that I've ever owned was my super charged 427 Vette. Can any one tell me where I could find a list of standard equipment and the available options on a 2011 CTS-V?

Recaro seats are a must, IMHO.
    Manual tranny, but I heard the newer Vs have faster auto shifts, but this may be in 2012 and later.
    I would probably skip the sunroof option, adds weight and prone to issues.

Quote Originally Posted by shchow View Post
    I had the E60 M5 prior to my V.
    You mentioned that you are looking at 2010 M5 and the costs associated with maintenance.
    I'm a little confused. The M5 comes with 4 year/50k service and maintenance included.
    You should have at least another year of service included, unless its already got over 50k in mileage.
    As far as the driving dynamics, the two cars have completely different feel.
    The one thing that favors the V is the massive torque.
    The M5 is much more high strung and more involving to drive.
    The suspension in the V is head and shoulders better than the M.
    The naturally aspirated M is more responsive and livelier.
    If you're into modding, the V is the clear winner here.

Since you've already owned an E60 M5, I would recommend getting the V for a different experience.
    The maintenance and repair costs I was thinking of was after the warranty ran out. How does the standard equipment and available options compare on the two cars in your opinon? Is the driver interface and navigation system better than the M5? (I think I all ready know the answer). As I mentioned in the original post, I love the sound of the screaming V10. I had cutouts on mine that were always open. Do you know of a sound clip of a CTS-V with a modified exhuast? I really appreciate the input as trying to decide between the two is driving me crazy. Oh how many gal. gas tank does the Cad have, you know why I ask.

There is no question in my opinion that the fit and finish in the V is not on par with the M.
    But I like the interior layout better in the V.
    I'm not too picky on the electronic gadgets, so I think it's a wash between the two.
    As far as the exhaust note, the sound of the V10 SCREAMING at 8000rpm going through a tunnel with the sound reverberating and the windows down is indelibly etched in my memory
    The Caddy has more of a classic V8 rumble. The stock exhaust is subtle, but definitely noticeable that the car is not the typical CTS.
    The Caddy also has an 18 gallon tank.
    I drive locally in the suburbs and had to refill at around 190 miles with the M5.
    I can get around 205 miles in the Caddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed View Post
    My friend, you've made your choice clear with this statement right here. There is no question the M5 is a beast but the two cars in my mind aren't even the same. Despite the maintenance cost, the LS series engines and transmissions are bulletproof and will handle a tremendous thrashing with relative ease.

If you take some of that M5 maintenance budget you'll buy enough extra power to leave any M series car like it's tied to a tree. Test drive one and see what it's like. Guarantee you'll know your decision was right the first time you need preventative maintenance. Let us know what you decide.
    I found a few clips with the cut outs on the CTS-V, while it doesn't compare to the scream of the V10 at full tilt, I think I can live with it. So my next car will be the CTS-V. The first mod I want to try is putting the coupe rear bumber and center exhaust on the sedan. Thanks for helping me make the choice.

Trapspeed is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Awesome! Good luck with the project and send us pics of the new ride!

specld is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shchow
    There is no question in my opinion that the fit and finish in the V is not on par with the M.
    But I like the interior layout better in the V.
    I'm not too picky on the electronic gadgets, so I think it's a wash between the two.
    As far as the exhaust note, the sound of the V10 SCREAMING at 8000rpm going through a tunnel with the sound reverberating and the windows down is indelibly etched in my memory
    The Caddy has more of a classic V8 rumble. The stock exhaust is subtle, but definitely noticeable that the car is not the typical CTS.
    The Caddy also has an 18 gallon tank.
    I drive locally in the suburbs and had to refill at around 190 miles with the M5.
    I can get around 205 miles in the Caddy.
    You better drive one With Recaro seats for a few hours though they are fantastic in keeping your but planted They are hard as rock and getting in and out will bruise the back of your legs

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Not for me.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

LJMartin, I'm pleased you're considering a V! If you haven't already done so, http://media.cadillac.com/media/us/e...ts-v/2011.html gives you a wealth of details about the model year you have your eye on, and I'm also happy to help where I can! Please email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com, and I can research vehicle questions for you. If you have the last eight of a V's VIN, for instance, I would be happy to provide a copy of its build sheet.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.