cts-v 2011 with headers and tuned by vette doctors
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, cts-v 2011 with headers and tuned by vette doctors in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; i have cts-v 2011 with headers and tune that was installed by vette doctors car only has 13900 miles, took ...
    Felixcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts-v

cts-v 2011 with headers and tuned by vette doctors

i have cts-v 2011 with headers and tune that was installed by vette doctors
    car only has 13900 miles, took the dealer they fixed the fuel pump two weeks later
    car head one off the seal leak, after that dealer found out car has no compression in cylinder4
    dealer void my warrenty for new engine. They said piston in cylinder 4 melted onto the block.
    can someone tell me what to due next.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mike02z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan Black Raven 6 speed manual

Re: cts-v 2011 with headers and tuned by vette doctors

My guess is GM is claiming that since you modified the ECM program, you no longer have a power train warranty. Vette Doctors have a pretty good rep so I doubt they would tune the ECM to the point that it caused engine damage but whenever you mess with the ECM, you void the power train warranty since the stock GM program was modified. You could probably fight it in court but it will take forever and most likely GM would win. If Vette Doctors leaned the tune out too much it could have caused the issue. I would talk to the Vette Doctors and see what they are willing to do to help. I'm NOT saying it is their fault. Even if it was, it will be impossible to prove and you probably signed something saying you agree that modifying the ECM will void your factory power train warranty. I know it's spilt-milk at this point but this really falls on you for not understanding the chance you were taking by modifying the ECM. Very sorry to hear about this and wish you the best of luck. I hope Vette Doctors will help. You're SOL with GM in my opinion.

I modified my 2008 Corvette ECM back in 2008. I knew I was giving up my power train warranty. Since it is only a weekend only driver, I was not concerned. I drive my CTS-V much more and so I'm not tuning it until the warranty is up. Any engine issue GM requires the dealer to take a dump of the ECM data and send to GM. If they find the ECM modified, they reject the claim. My buddy has a 2008 Z06 that he tracks. They engine blew and GM covered it as it was not modified. The trans went a month later and again, GM had to replace it. If he had it modded, he would have been out 25+ K for an engine and trans. It's taking a chance when you mod the ECM.

Felixcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts-v

Thanx Mike. I got two options one go to vette doctors who told me they rebuild my engine to bullet proof with no warranty.
    One of my friends recommend me to his neighbor who has shop who builds muscle cars he told me he already has a engine
    rebuild with all the good stuff in it.

You have lots of options in the NJ/PA/NY area. ECS specializes in LSx based cars. You have Vette Doctors and Cartek as well. Since Vette Doctors did your tune, they will probably give you the best deal on a rebuild. I have used ECS for years and have been very happy with their service. I have heard good things about Cartek and Vette Doctors too. There is one shop in the NY area that I would avoid at all costs. I won't mention any names here but if you stick with one of the 3 above, you should be all set. Best of luck on your new build.

landsteam is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

After they fixed the fuel pump was it running perfect?
    Why would they fix the fuel pump? Didn't they notice the headers and check for a tune when they did that warranty repair?
    Could the fuel pump they installed be the cause of the problem?

Most likely they would not check for a tune for a bad fuel pump. Adding long tube headers is illegal in a car used on public roads, but the dealer could care less. I have had my local dealer pass my Corvette with no cats and LT's. As long is it is not throwing codes, they don't care...in PA at least. When it gets into high dollar warranty items like engines and transmissions, the dealer is required to send the ECM data to GM before GM will authorize a replacement engine or trans. The dealers HATE this as it denies them a big warranty job (translated $$$) and it pisses customers off. It's GM's way of keeping large ticket replacements to a minimum. You're more likely to blow up your engine with a bad tune then with headers. I had a dealer tell me they have no issues replacing an engine on a car with a modded ECM. It is GM forcing them to to send the data before authorizing a replacement. No GM authorization and the dealer can't get paid.

Miami jack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V 2011

This is a good thread for noobs to learn from (not calling the op a noob) I've had m3, srt8 Cherokee, Audi A3 all with tunes and different mods.
    The point that is made is most of the time these mods go unnoticed and are overlooked or just not mentioned.
    But the more and more you add on and possibly drive the car hard maybe even track or drag race the higher of a chance there is for the drivetrain etc to get stressed.

My srt8 had a Bwoody cai in it, one rainy day ran thru a submerged street at night (didn't see the water) cracked the block I had to do some serious squirming to get out of that one, that truck was a year old.
    I've learned from those days the most I will do now is maybe a cai.

Personally I think these vehicles are fast enough in their stock setting, but that's my opinion.
    Sorry to hear of your bad situation I hope some noobs out there learn from it.

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

If you pull off the injector for number four, check to see that there was any debris in the inlet of the injector. It is possible, that when they changed the pumps, that some material got in the line and it went up to the injector and caused a lean condition in that one cly.

If it has it, then the dealer that replaced your pumps would be the person that is to blame.

Call me if you want, I can walk you thru checking that kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by wait4me View Post
    If you pull off the injector for number four, check to see that there was any debris in the inlet of the injector. It is possible, that when they changed the pumps, that some material got in the line and it went up to the injector and caused a lean condition in that one cly.

If it has it, then the dealer that replaced your pumps would be the person that is to blame.

Call me if you want, I can walk you thru checking that kind of stuff.
    Good point. Fact is, he modified his ECM, in my opinion GM will do no more for him even if it was something clogging the injector after the pump change. His power train warranty is now void and that will follow that car around. Can he fight it? Sure, but again, it will take a lot of time and money and GM has hundreds of lawyers they already pay to deal with this type of thing. He cannot win in my opinion since he modified the ECM. I realize you are just trying to help, but unless you have an "in" with GM I think you are wasting your/his time. I think he should move on and take this as a lesson learned. Just my opinion, of course.

landsteam is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

How much does it cost to rebuild the engine?

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

Depends on the extent of the damage. Also what plans you have on what you are wanting for horsepower levels in the future. Personally, I have done rebuilds on them anywhere from 2500 including labor to over 20k 1000hp twin turbo kits.

Kmajecki is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Any chance they reflashed the ecm with the stock tune which caused it to go lean? What were the signs of the pump failure? Perhaps when the pump went bad you lost fuel pressure and went really lean on a hard run? Regardless, like everyone else says, you're outta luck on the warranty. Sorry man, good luck with the fix!

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Why are headers illegal? Aren't they legal if they have an EO number?

Regency is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miami jack View Post
    This is a good thread for noobs to learn from (not calling the op a noob) I've had m3, srt8 Cherokee, Audi A3 all with tunes and different mods.
    The point that is made is most of the time these mods go unnoticed and are overlooked or just not mentioned.
    But the more and more you add on and possibly drive the car hard maybe even track or drag race the higher of a chance there is for the drivetrain etc to get stressed.

My srt8 had a Bwoody cai in it, one rainy day ran thru a submerged street at night (didn't see the water) cracked the block I had to do some serious squirming to get out of that one, that truck was a year old.
    I've learned from those days the most I will do now is maybe a cai.

Personally I think these vehicles are fast enough in their stock setting, but that's my opinion.
    Sorry to hear of your bad situation I hope some noobs out there learn from it.
    How deep was the water I have a WK1 SRT8 with a bwoody 4" and a tad nervous

Quote Originally Posted by baabootoo View Post
    Why are headers illegal? Aren't they legal if they have an EO number?
    They are illegal because they move the placement of the O2 sensors and cats. Any tampering with the emissions system makes the car technically illegal for street use. That is why only shorty headers have CARB approval in CA. They simply replace the stock manifolds but also offer no real HP gains in my opinion. If you live in a tough emissions state like CA or NJ, you will most likely fail emissions testing with headers but there are always exceptions. A lot of states just plug into the the ECM and as long as there are no codes, they will pass it. Heck, in PA most Cadillac dealers would probably pass it with headers. I have not modded mine except for an Airaid. If I was going to throw the power train warranty out the window, I would tune and put headers on and would not worry about passing emissions.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.