My V is at the dealer, making progress
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, My V is at the dealer, making progress in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Just a recap: I got my V in February this year, so I've had it for ~10 months. I got ...
    Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

My V is at the dealer, making progress

Just a recap: I got my V in February this year, so I've had it for ~10 months. I got it used, it had 8k miles on it. Here's a list of the issues it's had:

- rocking Recaros
    - creaking (but not leaking) sunroof
    - bad driveshaft, replaced by dealer
    - clicking wheels, fixed by dealer
    - gas pedal assembly, broken twice and replaced by dealer, on my third one
    - Check engine light caused by small intake recirc hose blowing off - replaced once by dealer, cracked and is being replaced again
    - Left front TPMS working intermittently
    - Front pass. side window regulator was dying, replaced by dealer
    - Getting static lines through screen when using backup camera
    - whining and more recently loud groaning noises coming from the rear end

Most of these things have been repaired, the rest I just don't care enough about to worry about it. Right now it's in for the TPMS, the check engine light and the cracked hose that's causing it, and the rear diff. I had brought it to them for the diff before, a tech took it out and said he couldn't hear any noise. This time I took the shop foreman out with me, and made sure he heard both the high pitched whine and the lower groaning noise. He definitely heard both, and they have ordered a new rear diff for me. Yay! I'm pretty sure it's had a diff problem since I got the car, the whine has always been present. My service guy said the diff should be in by Wednesday the 26th, so hopefully that will take care of it.

I felt that it might be helpful to post all this for some of the new V owners here, not to scare them off but to be clear about a couple things: My car is a freak of nature. I've come to accept that, and I'm ok with it now. Most Vs don't have any of these issues, never mind all of them, and from what I've seen most dealers are good about getting things fixed for you under warranty with no hassles. But more to the point, even with all the problems mine has had, I still love it more than any other car I've owned.

Odds are your new V won't have any of these problems, but even if it does just take it in, get them fixed, and then start enjoying your car. That's what I'm doing, and have been doing, and it's absolutely, completely worth it to me. Part of the reason is because if you look at the capabilities of the car, you start to see the delta between the different teams that worked on the car. The engine, suspension, transmissions, brakes, all the mechanical goodness in this car is sublime. I cannot emphasize enough how good this car is at high speeds in every single way. You can almost feel when everything comes together when you're in sport mode and the slightest nudge of the steering wheel tells you that the car is ready for anything you can throw at it, and then it becomes clear that it was completely optimized for high speed performance on the Nurburgring. Mid-corner balance in this car is really good, and the compliance over what would normally be chassis-upsetting bumps is fantastic.

And then there's everything else about the car - the interior, the fact that there are issues like a creaking sunroof, rocking seats, all the creaking plastic parts, all that stuff. All that stuff is bean counter territory, most of it comes from the standard CTS and was done to save money. All the chassis stuff, suspension, brakes, is on a completely different level, a professional, world-beating level. I think this is why a lot of the time people look at Mercedes or BMW interiors and then just assume those cars perform better because their interiors are nicer, or use more expensive materials, or are designed better or whatever.

And that's why the CTS-V is a sleeper in more ways than one. Without driving it, you can't possibly understand how irrationally good the chassis underneath is. People expect the V to just be a sloppy muscle car because it has huge horsepower and it's rear wheel drive, but for all intents and purposes, this car is an American M5. Tuned in Europe to compete with Europe's best, and that's never more evident than when you're going through corners or some mountain switchback, and the car just goes where you point it, the suspension pushing back rather than rolling over.

So don't sweat the little stuff. Yeah it's annoying sometimes, it can be inconvenient to have to bring it to the dealer to get something fixed, but in the long run that stuff is mostly irrelevant. It's not an excuse for these problems, it's more just an observation that once you get the issues fixed, you'll forget the car ever had them. Then you can get back to enjoying the car, which is what it was made for.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

Re: My V is at the dealer, making progress

A well written, thoughtful post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and the issues you've had.

You have certainly had more than your fair share of problems with your V, but I much prefer your attitude about it rather than the "I shouldn't have any problems after I paid $75,000 for a car" comments that seem to be more common. I completely agree with you about the V in general. I've had many performance vehicles, and while they were all great cars, I never owned a car with as much overall "greatness". Ever.

It's just that good...

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by FLTRI View Post
    A well written, thoughtful post.
    I agree, FLTRI!

Thank you, Xaqtly, for posting your thoughts and detailing your experience for the benefit of the community. I hope you will let us know the outcome when you pick up your V on the 26th, and (as always) please email me if you would like me to document your feedback further or contact your dealer for you at any point.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Excellent post. I've always been grateful that my V has been problem free, relatively speaking...

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

My last V was so relatively trouble-free that I bought another. I hope it will be equally relatively trouble-free. *crosses fingers*

Lowflight is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

You have more patience than I. I got the Service Power Steering twice today and already want to trade it with 1000 miles

Got the car back today. Took a few days for parts plus Christmas, etc. Everything seems good, the rear end is silent now, like it should be. It was definitely my diff making the noises. It feels back to where it should be, no warning lights, no funky noises. For the first time since I got the car, I don't believe it's currently having any issues. Merry Christmas to me!

There was something strange though. I run an OnStar check through my phone app before I drop the car off and screenshot it, and I do the same thing when they call me to pick it up so I can see the difference in mileage and everything else it tells you. They had driven it 9 miles, which is reasonable since they state part of their policy is to drive the car on the freeway which is a few miles away. But the fuel level was down to 75%, and it was completely full when I brought it in.

My first thought was that in order to use up 4-5 gallons of fuel in 9 miles, somebody had to be hooning the car really badly, doing burnouts at every intersection, full throttle the whole time, etc. Then I realized it really wouldn't even be possible to do that here, where the dealer is on Sahara. Too much traffic, lots of cops, that 4-5 gallons of gas would be impossible to burn off in only 9 miles, in this traffic and in this area.

I talked with the service manager about it, showed him my screenshots before and after, he agreed with me on all points but couldn't explain why 4 gallons of gas went missing, or how. And I told him I don't give a crap about the gas, I only care that nobody decided to pull a Ferris Bueller's Day Off on my car. He assured me the tech who worked on it was a middle aged guy, a family man who had worked there for a long time, and he would never hoon a customer's car. Normally I wouldn't believe that for a second, but the truth is I couldn't explain it either, even with my screenshots. There's just no way you could burn that much gas in only 9 miles, in the middle of the city. The oil life estimator didn't change either, it was 58% when I brought it in, and 58% when I picked it up.

So it remains a mystery. I asked him to look into it further, but I don't expect to hear anything back from that. The car seems fine, I didn't see any scratches or anything, It drives great, smooth and now the rear end is quiet. So at this point I'm just going to relax and enjoy it.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Another explanation for the amount of gas burned in nine miles is that it spent a lot of time sitting, burning gas without moving, while in the shop.

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium
    My bet would be an error in the app. Did you fill it just before you dropped it off?

KellyE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Black Raven 2012 CTS V Sedan Thundar Gray 2007 STS V Sedan

Xaqtly, I can understand your pain, I heard a noise today after my V warmed up.I took delivery 12/24/2012, first owner. I popped the hood and it sounds like it is coming from the blower...
    I read several posts about this noise...It is going to kill me taking it in...It is going in Monday..

Quote Originally Posted by FLTRI View Post
    My bet would be an error in the app. Did you fill it just before you dropped it off?
    It's not the app, I verified both before and after with the app against the actual reading in the car. And yeah, I actually filled it up on my way over to drop it off, so it couldn't have been more than about 7 miles down from full. And the service manager and I both made sure the car itself read at 75% full, as opposed to using the app. So as far as either of us knows, it was fuel pixies, the ones that steal gas from your car overnight.

Va72mlibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Is it possible the gas pump clicked off before the car was full?

Nope. The gas tank was full. More importantly, the gas tank READ full when I dropped it off, and read 75% when I picked it up. So regardless of how much actual fuel was in the tank, it was down 25% relative to where it was when I dropped it off. Here are the screenshots I took of the OnStar app. The first one is literally the minute I left it with them, and the second one was when I got a call from my service guy telling me I could come pick it up.

Note that the service manager and I confirmed the tank level by looking at the actual reading in the car, and it matched the OnStar data in both screenshots.

I'm sticking with fuel pixies.

TiredIronGRB is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan (V-Lab Car)

What increments does it go up and down in? (I don't subscribe to OnStar)

Quote Originally Posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
    What increments does it go up and down in?
    Doesn't really matter, because like I said, we verified the onstar data against the car's actual gas gauge readout. It's accurate. Additionally, you can see the fuel left data which reads in per-gallon increments, and estimated fuel range which reads in per-mile increments. The CTS-V has an 18 gallon tank, and the second screenshot says it has 13 gallons left where it said it was full when I dropped it off.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.