Axle rubbing (?) sound at very low speeds and turned steering wheel - "normal" or not
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Axle rubbing (?) sound at very low speeds and turned steering wheel - "normal" or not in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I'm not sure what rubs, but that would be my best guess is that it's an axle, or maybe a ...
    Mr. LCP is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Axle rubbing (?) sound at very low speeds and turned steering wheel - "normal" or not

I'm not sure what rubs, but that would be my best guess is that it's an axle, or maybe a rotor rubs the caliper or pad or something like that. It happens when the wheel is turned (like in a parking lot), more often when the car has just only recently been started. Is this normal or something that I can get fixed?

I also have some wheel clicking in similar situations, but it doesn't matter how long it's been since it was started.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jft69z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '11 V-Coupe Blk 6M, '69 Black Z-28/RS 454-5 spd, '13 Blk ZR1

Re: Axle rubbing (?) sound at very low speeds and turned steering wheel - "normal" or

On my '11 V-Coupe, there was a similar rubbing noise while turning at slow speeds. It turned out to be the front brake dust shields slightly rubbing against the rotors. Put it in the air, bent the shields back a little & problem solved.

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Axle rubbing (?) sound at very low speeds and turned steering wheel - "normal" or

mine does it, but only in the cold weather. other cars that I have had with wide summer tires in cold weather do the same thing. I assume that it was/is cold hard rubber just sliding a bit on cold pavement....

Mr. LCP is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

No, this isn't tires.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Is it a groaning sound? When cold, old diff fluid will allow groaning sounds...

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Please let us know if you're having any issues such as groaning noises occurring with your vehicles. It is certainly respectable if you're a DIY person but if anyone decides to have it looked at by the dealership, let us know. You can reach Katie at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com and please include your VIN#, situation, contact information, and the dealership is who looking at the vehicle. I hope everyone is having a good week despite any car concerns. Keep us posted. Thanks.

Matt, (Assisting Katie)

Cadillac Customer Assistance

PeteK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon, 1972 Eldorado Convertible

Not to insult you, but are you sure it's not the tires? When I first experienced it, it sure didn't feel like what I though tire scrubbing would feel like. If it happens only when the tires are cold, it's a good bet that it's the PS2s. If it happens all the time, it's likely not

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I have a 2009 Sedan CTS-V and a 2013 Coupe CTS-V. I drive the 2009 and my wife drives the 2013. Neither of us has had any strange noises from either car.

rayjoedef is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe...

I know exactly the noise you're talking about....It's a binding noise coming from the rear driver-side wheel upon full left lock...happens only when car is cold. I went to the dealer 4x...They did the diff fluid with no help. They couldn't even reproduce it....Hears the funny part, there is a bulletin which I have in my possession that DESCRIBES THE EXACT PROBLEM and instructs the dealership NOT TO ATTEMPT REPAIR....That it's a normal occurrence. Odd considering it wasn't there the 1st 7k miles, now it is....funnier still is I had the V sedan in 2009. Exact same problem but the dealer had the balls to replace the left hub bearing....PROBLEM SOLVED! This time around, the dealership is afraid to replace wheel bearing because of lack of GM reimbursement...I have escalated this problem to the regional GM supervisor - let's see what happens.

I know exactly the noise you're talking about....It's a binding noise coming from the rear driver-side wheel upon full left lock...happens only when car is cold. I went to the dealer 4x...They did the diff fluid with no help. They couldn't even reproduce it....Hears the funny part, there is a bulletin which I have in my possession that DESCRIBES THE EXACT PROBLEM and instructs the dealership NOT TO ATTEMPT REPAIR....That it's a normal occurrence. Odd considering it wasn't there the 1st 7k miles, now it is....funnier still is I had the V sedan in 2009. Exact same problem but the dealer had the balls to replace the left hub bearing....PROBLEM SOLVED! This time around, the dealership is afraid to replace wheel bearing because of lack of GM reimbursement...I have escalated this problem to the regional GM supervisor - let's see what happens.

simgolfer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V sedan, manual, silver/ebony, airaid, SW catback
    Quote Originally Posted by rayjoedef View Post
    Rayjoedef, do you have the number of that bulletin. I have same issue but never thought much about it since only happens in the morning when I leave for work, otherwise never hear it. Thanks.

smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

If it's a really loud, sounds like something breaking noise, and it's cold around 40 degrees and colder, then yes it's normal. Has to do with the cold suspension/tires on cold pavement.

Gary Wells is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles

This info doesn't do much good if you don't post the #'s & dates of the Service Bulletins. It's not like it is confidential info.

simgolfer.....that's exactly when I hear it too.....BULLETIN #: PIC4986C ie:BINDING FELT DRIVING FORWARD OR IN REVERSE WITH STEERING AT FULL-LOCK - (NOV 4, 2011).....hopes this helps.

TiredIronGRB is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan (V-Lab Car)

I had this binding issue and changed the dif fluid and limited slip additive, but before the old fluid was dumped I drove it in a tight circle for a few minutes to heat the fluid up so there would be less of it clinging to the parts and housing. After replacing the fluid and additive I repeated the process to thoroughly work the new fluid through the diff. Now I no longer have the binding noises, even when it's cold.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.