Vagon won't start, ideas?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Vagon won't start, ideas? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Drove my 2012 6MT Vagon a couple of hours ago, no problem at all, started strong as always. Just went ...
    baatar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 12 OBM V Wagon

Exclamation Vagon won't start, ideas?

Drove my 2012 6MT Vagon a couple of hours ago, no problem at all, started strong as always. Just went to start it to go home and it doesn't turn over at all. There is some power because the radio plays, doors unlock, etc., but when I turn the starter nothing, not even a hint of turning over, just total silence. The gauges do their little dance, but no turnover at all. Could the battery be going this soon (bought the car new in June)? Info display shows 11.9 V from the battery, that's low, but I haven't seen any warning lights for charging issues.

I'm overseas so no help from OnStar or roadside assistance.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

Re: Vagon won't start, ideas?

^^^ - Make sure your steering wheel is not locked - when your in the car, turn the ignition on, grab the wheel and move it to the right/left a bit, then try to start ...

Rob

Karch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 TG sedan, 6A,LPE 650, and a few more mods.

I wonder if this is another GM ignition switch issue?

Quote Originally Posted by RapidRob View Post
    ^^^ - Make sure your steering wheel is not locked - when your in the car, turn the ignition on, grab the wheel and move it to the right/left a bit, then try to start ...
    Rob
    Steering wheel unlocks as usual, when I turn the ignition it unlocks and then when I release the ignition it locks again, like it would when you turn off the car.

vagondr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 CTS-V wagon WD graphite 6MT Corsa Sports

At least it's not no start after cranking which could mean extensive diagnostics. No cranking should be easier to figure out and fix. After sitting for a week my voltage is usually 11.9. That's not to say the battery is not defective. It might power lights but not handle a heavy load. Do the lights dim or the voltage drop significantly when you try to crank? You might use an analog volt meter. This could mean a defective starter that is drawing too much current. Try playing with the ignition switch which might be defective. Check the battery connections and tap or twist them. You could load test the battery or simply jump start thus eliminating your battery from the equation. As complex as these cars are it's likely an easy fix. It goes without saying to see if the check engine light is on as there seems to be a code for everything.

AlphaAZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Could be a starter solenoid. Turn the key on, and try to jump the starter by hooking up jumpers to your batt then go right to the starter, if the starter bumps you know that its not the starter and most likely the solenoid or relay.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Isn't there a safety switch on the clutch pedal, too? Just a thought. Your floor mat isn't bunched under it, is it?

Dogbreath is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

My vote is the battery. Cranking a large V8 takes loads more current than running the radio. I'll bet that it will jump start and you'll find that either something is draining the battery or the battery is going south.

pat2t2f is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    The battery shouldn't be shot in a year. Something draining the battery is likely. After I get the car started I would make sure all the electronics turn off like they are supposed to after the car is shut down.

Update: Tried jumping but no luck. Towed to a dealer so we'll see. It's a Cadillac dealer but they don't have Vs here but they do have the CTS so I hope they can figure it out.

Still seemed to have power for everything but the actual ignition. Headlights and taillights on, windows go up/down as usual. But nothing at all when I turn the ignition switch, just total darkness until I release it, then the dash/gauge lights all come back. No clicking like I've had on previous cars when the battery was too low to turn it over. I'll let you know what it turns out to be.

Zhariak is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Escalade ESV Platinum, 2013 CTS-V Coupe 6MT

I hope this isn't a dumb question...

Can't you push start these vehicles? I think I read something in the manual, but not sure... If you could push/roll start it, if it is the battery you could atleast see what voltage the battery gets up to after running for a while. This way you'll be able to get home too!

DanPrfct is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Power Wagon
    To me it sounds like a bad relay. The "click" you hear when most cars fail to start is the starter relay closing. If you have 11.9V and no click, I'd guess that the starter motor is fine but the relay is not closing.

I'm no mechanic, but I do have some experience in electronics. Just my .02.

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed View Post
    Isn't there a safety switch on the clutch pedal, too? Just a thought. Your floor mat isn't bunched under it, is it?
    This was my thought too. 11.9 volts is plenty of juice to start it...

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by baatar View Post
    Update: Tried jumping but no luck. Towed to a dealer so we'll see. It's a Cadillac dealer but they don't have Vs here but they do have the CTS so I hope they can figure it out.
    I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing this, baatar! If you have any lingering concerns after your dealer's diagnosis, please don't hesitate to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com with your location and I can find the Customer Service team nearest you.

Looking forward to your updates,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Update 2: Dealer says the "computer that controls the engine has broken" That's the most detail I could get today so I don't have any real info yet on exactly what part died. Good news is they seem to be willing to honor the warranty; I couldn't get an answer out of Cadillac in the States as to whether the warranty was good at overseas Cadillac dealers. They tell me that the part will have to be ordered from the States, so the car will be out of commission for a while.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.