Should I clearbra and good price?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Should I clearbra and good price? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I found a local mobile guy many people recommended for clear braing. People say he does good work. He's charging ...
    dennych is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

Should I clearbra and good price?

I found a local mobile guy many people recommended for clear braing.
    People say he does good work.

He's charging me:
    Full Front Coverages. Full Hood, Full Fenders, Mirrors, Headlamps and Front Bumper for $1,325.00 Do you guys think this is a fair price and should I do it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hulksdaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): <-----"Hulk" 2000-2012...He will always be missed :-(

Re: Should I clearbra and good price?

Seems high. Where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by hulksdaddy View Post
    Seems high. Where are you located?
    Los Angeles

Also found this rant on clear bra that makes me think twice

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...20-post14.html

IMHO, the best way to remove scratches, swirls & haze on a clear bra is to completely remove the bra from your vehicle...period.

The principal purpose in the development of the clear bra was to protect the paint surface of leading painted edges where they are susceptible or prone to impact from flying debris such as bugs or stones. The idea was a good one but far from being perfected and far from the truth, in reality.

Various clear film manufacturers basically produce the same product but have varying characteristics such as anti-yellowing UV-rated vs anti-hardening UV-rated. The end result is one that leads the consumer to believe that the holy grail of paint protection has been miraculously found and that stone chips and bug corpse indentations will now be a thing of the past. If you are one of these believers, think again.

I was one of those people that got caught in the hype of "NASA-inspired" or "Space-engineered polymer protection" and bought my new Cayenne wrapped in this plastic nonsense. The time and attention that was spent meticulously caring for this film was unexplainable. Here was a product that cost almost as much as an old Toyota and yet required more attention and detailing time than the rest of my car! Any time a bug would decide to 'kamikaze' itself on my front valence, the fire brigade would be immediately called out and the corpse along with sun-dried innards would be immediately power-washed off so as to avoid impregnation into the plastic. Fingernails and scuff marks? Don't even get me started....

The plain truth is that any such product that covers your paint for an extended period of time will result in paint discoloration. Some colors are more prone to color variation and degradation than others and exposure to sun and the elements play an important role, however, the end result will be damage to your paint resulting in a mandatory re-spray. This comes as a surprise to many who initially fork out the big bucks to install a clear-bra to prevent damage in the first place.

Today's vehicular anti-corrosion protective measures have been substantially improved. A stone chip no longer exposes bare metal as in the past but exposes sheet metal layered with a zinc-oxide barrier. Porsche has been hot-dip galvanizing their car bodies since the early 1980's with an excellent track record against body corrosion. The likelihood of rust developing on the hood or fenders of your late-model Porsche that is a direct result of a stone chip, is near impossible. So, a few stone chips ruined your day? You're still better off visiting a professional detailer who, if so equipped, will touch up those stone chips. Even a partial respray of your front valence beats dishing out the big bucks for a clear bra. In the end, there's a very good chance that a respray will be required to rid your paint of the discoloration that occured while you had the clear bra in place.

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I do all of my vehicles with partial hood (maybe 18 inches), partial fenders, full bumper, mirrors, and lights. A good price in the DC metro area in 2010 for that level of coverage was $600 or so. Plenty of places were still trying to charge $800-$900 for it. I have not bought a new car since 2010 so I don't know what today's market looks like. If I got a new car, I'd have it clear bra'd in a heartbeat.

My 2006 Mustang GT still looks showroom new compared to one that has gotten sandblasted. Same with the current V (as well as the old V before it was sold) and the suburban. Does the clear bra look as deep and shiny as new Zaino'd paint? No. But it looks a heck of a lot better than chipped Zaino'd paint.

rjoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Mind sharing the contact for the DC area ?

neuronbob is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Most people don't keep their car long enough to worry about yellowing. I've had the clear bra on my last three daily drivers, of which my 09 V is the one I've kept the longest, and no yellowing. My hood, front clip, and rocker panels look showroom new. This helped on my trade-in value.

I'm going to be doing my wagon when it gets here, too.

$1325 is way high for what you are asking unless that's the going price in LA. Here in Cleveland, I had partial hood, whole front bumper, headlights, side mirrors, rocker panels, sides of rear bumper, and top of rear bumper, done for $925 3 1/2 years ago. Will have a quote from the service I use here in Cleveland shortly, in prep for the wagon.

Hm, well this is the guy that's highly recommended in this area. Maybe that's why he charges more. It's also for a full hood as opposed to partial hood

BigDog001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Black Diamond V Coupe

in North Jersey that would be a fair price. I did a full kit for about 900 -- but it is only about 18 inches up the hood and fenders - it is alot of work to get right

A coworker brought up a good point. If I clear bra the front. In the future, say 5 years when I remove it, won't there be an odd coloration difference between the front and back since only the front has been protected?

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by dennych View Post
    A coworker brought up a good point. If I clear bra the front. In the future, say 5 years when I remove it, won't there be an odd coloration difference between the front and back since only the front has been protected?
    Not if you've done a good job detailing the paint over that time.

Anyone that complains about slight discoloration and then says respraying the front end is no big deal is just being a fool.

If you don't clear bra, from day 1, you expose your front end to sand, debris, stones, etc. It will deteriorate from day 1. And if you respray after a few years, how does that blend with the rest of the car? It doesn't. The argument is hypocritical.

Get the right type of clear bra. High quality bras don't discolor. Even if it did happen to leave the paint a different shade after many years, why are you removing it? If it needs replacing, that problem goes away upon replacement, right?

Bottom line, clear bra works. And well...
    neuronbob and neuronbob like this.

matt116 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS V Blackdiamond coupe

Auto Armour in Columia Md.
    Cliff L. BeauBeau
    9691-d Gerwig Lane
    Columbia Md. 21046
    800-966-4303
    Cliff did mine and it is very well done.

garfin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

So here's another aspect to consider...

Unfortunately, I had no other choice but to park in a (somewhat crowded) lot one day last year in order to do some banking. I was in the bank for the grand sum of 4-5 min. When I came out, the clown who was parked beside me, had sideswiped me on the lower corner/front valence and fender on the passenger side on his/her way out - right down to the white composite. No note left on the car and no witnesses who came forward. Thankfully I have a friend who manages a body shop and had the repair done as cost efficiently as was possible. (FYI, Thunder Gray costs $200/litre)

So I just shudder to think about how much would have been added to the total cost of the repair had the clear bra been installed and needed to be re & re'd.
    I agonized over the cost of the clear bra install when I bought the V and chose not to do it. Under the circumstances, I have no regrets about making that decision.
    Hope this helps...

Best regards,

Elie

kwilson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Coupe
    Have had great experience with expel products.

The cost does not seems high being its a full hood and fenders. One thing to think about is where you plan to break your lines so as not to look all chopped up... My 2 cents

----------

Quote Originally Posted by kwilson
    Have had great experience with expel products.

The cost does not seems high being its a full hood and fenders. One thing to think about is where you plan to break your lines so as not to look all chopped up... My 2 cents
    -----Xpel-----

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by garfin View Post
    So here's another aspect to consider...

Unfortunately, I had no other choice but to park in a (somewhat crowded) lot one day last year in order to do some banking. I was in the bank for the grand sum of 4-5 min. When I came out, the clown who was parked beside me, had sideswiped me on the lower corner/front valence and fender on the passenger side on his/her way out - right down to the white composite. No note left on the car and no witnesses who came forward. Thankfully I have a friend who manages a body shop and had the repair done as cost efficiently as was possible. (FYI, Thunder Gray costs $200/litre)

So I just shudder to think about how much would have been added to the total cost of the repair had the clear bra been installed and needed to be re & re'd.
    I agonized over the cost of the clear bra install when I bought the V and chose not to do it. Under the circumstances, I have no regrets about making that decision.
    Hope this helps...

Best regards,

Elie
    Most insurance companies will cover clear bra replacement. I had mine replaced once on my 2004 V, and once on my suburban, as part of some minor body work. No issues no problems at all.

rjoffe, I will try to dig up the info of who did my 2010 V; he did a nice job for $600. Also, the guy who re-did my Suburban was hired by the Koons Chevy body shop in Vienna; neve knew his name and he did a great job. I also used a detailer in Herndon for the mustang who was highly recommended oin 2006, but it was not a great job.

The best install job was done by me on my 2004 V (of course this is my completely unbiased opinion). Only problem was it took me like 11 hours to do it. To be fair, the headlights could have been done better.

KellyE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Black Raven 2012 CTS V Sedan Thundar Gray 2007 STS V Sedan

Getting my 2012 V done next week. I am paying 595.00 at the dealer here in Oregon.
    They sand the roads here in the winter. So even in the summer we still have pebbles on the roads...I would not be without one..
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.