Should I clearbra and good price? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Should I clearbra and good price? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I was quoted $600 from a very reputable shop here in the Philly Suburbs for a clear bra solution...
    Purple87SS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Black Raven CTS-V, 1987 Turbo Buick WE4

Re: Should I clearbra and good price?

I was quoted $600 from a very reputable shop here in the Philly Suburbs for a clear bra solution

CoppeR is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 BD Coupe

$600-$750 sounds more reasonable.

Had just half the hood, fenders, and mirror done on my '06 GTO by 3M. Held up great until the day I sold it (6yrs +).

Gonna try the Xpel on the V since its suppose to have less orange peel and look like glass.

dennych is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by kwilson View Post
    Have had great experience with expel products.

The cost does not seems high being its a full hood and fenders. One thing to think about is where you plan to break your lines so as not to look all chopped up... My 2 cents

----------

-----Xpel-----
    Well the installer mentioned he put it on a few. he recommended the full (probably because he gets paid more) and because it makes it so there is no chopping of sorts

jzchen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '85 Sedan de Ville, '10 CTS-V
    Did whole car at Star Shield Armor. They have since moved from Irwindale to Ontario... Has patches in certain places, but whole car is done....

Even though it's expensive I decided to do it. My biggest fear is that I have something there that I missed in my detailing that will get covered by the clearbra.
    Planning to take a roadtrip to Las Vegas so figured it would be wise to get it done.

One more thing. I've been reading about the XPEL ultimate stuff. It looks like it's superior to the 3M venture shield. The XPEL ultimate stuff hasn't been around for a long time though.

Holding off for now...

kwilson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Coupe
    I have used both 3M and Xpel and would not go back with the 3M....as mentioned above my experience with 3M is it just seems to be more noticeable both on the lines and what I guess i could be called orange peel.

If you need to remove a piece of the Xpel you simply pull up and away frim the center of the piece (stretching) as opposed to pealing it back towards the center. In using this approach you will not separate the film from the glue, which is a real mess!!!!

Also, if you maintain it as recommended it will not yellow. Have had it on my white truck for 3 years and still very happy with it.

I will say that if you get a bunch of bugs during the summer it's best to get them off ASAP and should their guts prove tuff just use a dryer sheet...haha

Quote Originally Posted by kwilson View Post
    I have used both 3M and Xpel and would not go back with the 3M....as mentioned above my experience with 3M is it just seems to be more noticeable both on the lines and what I guess i could be called orange peel.

If you need to remove a piece of the Xpel you simply pull up and away frim the center of the piece (stretching) as opposed to pealing it back towards the center. In using this approach you will not separate the film from the glue, which is a real mess!!!!

Also, if you maintain it as recommended it will not yellow. Have had it on my white truck for 3 years and still very happy with it.

I will say that if you get a bunch of bugs during the summer it's best to get them off ASAP and should their guts prove tuff just use a dryer sheet...haha
    I'm guessing you don't have the XPEL ultimate film since it's been 3 years. This new stuff seems amazing but it's been out for about a year only so no long term results. I haven't really read anything negative about it yet. Just that people prefer it over the 3M Scotchguard and 3M Ventureshield

They also say it's easier to maintain since it uses automotive clearcoat
    If it was not for these impressions I would have just kept my appointment over the weekend for the install. Sadly Bain only does ventureshield

kwilson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by dennych

I'm guessing you don't have the XPEL ultimate film since it's been 3 years. This new stuff seems amazing but it's been out for about a year only so no long term results. I haven't really read anything negative about it yet. Just that people prefer it over the 3M Scotchguard and 3M Ventureshield

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUqzFvRw4-A&noredirect=1

They also say it's easier to maintain since it uses automotive clearcoat
    If it was not for these impressions I would have just kept my appointment over the weekend for the install. Sadly Bain only does ventureshield
    I believe the truck has xtream and I do have the ultimate on the CTS-V. If I'm correct I think the Xtream carries a 7 year limited warranty for yellow and cracks and such and the ultimate has a 10 year.
    Either way they are both great products and I'm sure there are some on here that will swear by 3M.

One of those things where you just have to chose what works for you and your budget.

Good luck

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

My white 2006 mustang has the hood and bumper covered in the Xpel of 2006. When I got it home I went ahead and did the wheelwells and lights myself, with a 3M kit. Orange peel seems about the same between the two.

Fast forward 7 years later to today; the xpel is perfectly colorless, while the 3m has a slight yellow tinge to it. The expel on the hood gets the direct sun, the wheelwells don't. The car is a garage queen, though, and has not spent a lot of the last 7 years in the weather.

The yellow doesn't bother me, though....and I am quite happy having pristine wheelwells and hood and bumper on a 7 year old car.

I don't think that discoloration or mismatchingof the paint is a big issue with today's paints, as long as you take care of the finish. My 2004 V had to have the bra removed and replaced after 3 years, and the suburban after 2 years, for body work (most of the noses were NOT repainted in both cases). No discoloration or paint difference at all. Not exactly a long-term test, but data points nonetheless.

As I am sure someone once said to Dolly Parton: "get a bra. You won't regret it."

I think I'm sold on the XPEL Ultimate stuff. It seems much better and they have that 10 year warranty. Now to find a good installer in Los Angeles that handles the stuff

Rule12b is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by dennych View Post
    I think I'm sold on the XPEL Ultimate stuff. It seems much better and they have that 10 year warranty. Now to find a good installer in Los Angeles that handles the stuff
    Let me know who you find. I'm having my car wrapped soon and might want to protect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rule12b View Post
    Let me know who you find. I'm having my car wrapped soon and might want to protect it.
    Sure thing. I've narrowed the list to 3 installers. One is mobile and 2 are in shop.
    Price range all seems to be around $1500 for full hood/bumper fender and mirror install.

So I found an installer. Going to do the above plus the A pillars and roof.
    http://www.clearbrapro.com/

Seems to do pretty good work. Looks like it'll be 1650 for everything. He's installing tomorrow so I'll let you know how it turns out

93hrdtoptt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

just did mine in xpel ultimate. full front, full hood, full fenders, rockers wrapped into door area, a pillars, top roof line,behind rear tire that gets hit with rocks,door handle pockets, mirrors,headlights, and top of rear bumper. pretty amazing if you ask me. Very clear and hardly any orange peel. There is a guy in the lancaster/manheim Pa area who is very good and did an unbelievable job. I also had him tint it while it was there and my total was a bit over 2K. Lifetime warranty on the tint and clear bra. when I have some time I will try and get some pics, but you really can't see anything.

He did tell me that someone must love these cars because there were even patterns there to do the full doors, full roof, and total rear quarters. I wasn't baller enough to do all that though lol.

lancasterautographic dot com

717-665-6964 ask for Bill if you are interested.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

I'm awaiting a quote on Xpel ultimate now, from the guy who's done three other of my daily drivers. I haven't heard anything bad about it. I was already an Xpel user, and was happy with it, so we'll see if this makes me any happier.

Quote Originally Posted by 93hrdtoptt View Post
    just did mine in xpel ultimate. full front, full hood, full fenders, rockers wrapped into door area, a pillars, top roof line,behind rear tire that gets hit with rocks,door handle pockets, mirrors,headlights, and top of rear bumper. pretty amazing if you ask me. Very clear and hardly any orange peel. There is a guy in the lancaster/manheim Pa area who is very good and did an unbelievable job. I also had him tint it while it was there and my total was a bit over 2K. Lifetime warranty on the tint and clear bra. when I have some time I will try and get some pics, but you really can't see anything.

He did tell me that someone must love these cars because there were even patterns there to do the full doors, full roof, and total rear quarters. I wasn't baller enough to do all that though lol.

lancasterautographic dot com

717-665-6964 ask for Bill if you are interested.
    Hey

For your install are there relief cuts in the headlights? Also is there a noticeable gap around your front headlight washer nozzle? The guy did a pretty good job on the hood by removing the hood nozzle and the chrome trim so he could wrap around. However removing the headlight washing nozzle seemed like a no go.

I'd be interested to see close pictures of your install to compare with what my guy did. We actually ran into a few setbacks with the install. He said this material is harder to install than the Ventureshield stuff. He's coming by this weekend to fine tune some of the work he did. But basically he ended up spending 2 days in my garage to install it. He felt bad about it so he's also installing door guards for me.

By the way, he accidentally dropped one of the plastic clips from the under hood cover into the engine bay. We couldn't find it or get it out. Do you guys think it could potentially cause any issue? He spent a good amount of time trying to get to it but it just wasn't happening.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.