Cold Weather Brake Seizing Issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Cold Weather Brake Seizing Issue in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So I don't have a garage any more, since we moved into our new home in May, which burned down ...
    garfin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

Cold Weather Brake Seizing Issue

So I don't have a garage any more, since we moved into our new home in May, which burned down 3 weeks later. The V has to be sitting outside this winter in the driveway of our rental home (no garage!).

I washed/cleaned the wheels a few days ago, hadn't driven it and got into the car this morning. We've had a few days of alternately freezing and thawing temps.

So the e-brake had totally seized and it took a good few tries to free everything up. Looks like the e-brake functions on the front wheels, 'cuz after trying to "rock" the car free (oh yeah!), the front wheels dug a rut in the gravel when they didn't roll during the first few tries to get moving!

So they finally let go and I was able to get on my way... on the road, there was HUGE pulsing when braking. I tried a few hard braking attempts down from 60 mph after feeling this and I'm happy to say that we're gettin' back to normal.

Still not quite 100%, but I think I need to "re-surface the rotors" with a few more hard braking episodes to get rid of whatever buildup formed on the rotors after these few days of inactivity, combined with my cleaning the wheels and leaving them for a few days in alternately freezing and thawing episodes.

Best regards,

Elie

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jft69z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '11 V-Coupe Blk 6M, '69 Black Z-28/RS 454-5 spd, '13 Blk ZR1

Re: Cold Weather Brake Seizing Issue

Elie,

Sorry to hear about your house, that sounds terrible.

I think the ebrake is in the rear on these. It actuates brake shoes that are located inside the hat section of the rear rotor.

I've got a different question to ask you but your PM inbox said it was full.

Thanks,

Joe T.

Smokin80 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Black Raven CTS V/Manual

I have had this happen too. Freed up te brakes by forcing the car with the old right pedal. Pulsed for a minute but was soon back to normal. I'm not sure what it is about these brakes that causes that because I wash my truck and other car in -30 all the time and never have that happen.... Don't think it is a big issue though. Might just be do to the huge size of the pads....

Quote Originally Posted by jft69z View Post
    Elie,

Sorry to hear about your house, that sounds terrible.

I think the ebrake is in the rear on these. It actuates brake shoes that are located inside the hat section of the rear rotor.

I've got a different question to ask you but your PM inbox said it was full.

Thanks,

Joe T.
    I appreciate your thoughts on the house, Joe - it's been a wild ride for us battlingthe insurance co. and we only just settled on the value of the structure 2 weeks ago - hoping to finally start the rebuilding process this week Time now to dig in for the negotiations on the contents.

I always thought the e-brake worked on the rears as you've described, but something was preventing the fronts from rolling because of they caused the ruts in the gravel from not turning. Maybe the front pads and rotors had just seized together because of the washing and the freezing temps?

Inbox has been cleaned out...

Best regards,

Elie

Crystal Red CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V CRM Coupe (Airaid Intake & Corsa), 2011 Z06/Z07

Happens on mine when the rotors get wet from a good washing and the car sits without having the benefit of drying off while moving. Completely normal for steel rotors.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

I don't think that we should resurface these rotors, right?

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Elie, I'm truly sorry to hear you're having these braking concerns. Between losing your home, living in a temporary residence, and now these brake concerns, I'm sure these last few months have been anything but easy. We hope that the recovery process from losing your home is going as smoothly as possible. While we'd love to help make getting your brake concerns on your V smoothly as well, unfortunately we're only able to assist US Customers.

If you would like to communicate with the Customer Service team nearest you regarding your braking concerns, I found this helpful page on GM of Canada's site: http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/corporat...actus/overview. (It lists their phone hotline information as well as live chat and other online options as well.)

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

TiredIronGRB is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan (V-Lab Car)

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Red CTS-V View Post
    Happens on mine when the rotors get wet from a good washing and the car sits without having the benefit of drying off while moving. Completely normal for steel rotors.
    +1 Mine does the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Elie, I'm truly sorry to hear you're having these braking concerns. Between losing your home, living in a temporary residence, and now these brake concerns, I'm sure these last few months have been anything but easy. We hope that the recovery process from losing your home is going as smoothly as possible. While we'd love to help make getting your brake concerns on your V smoothly as well, unfortunately we're only able to assist US Customers.

If you would like to communicate with the Customer Service team nearest you regarding your braking concerns, I found this helpful page on GM of Canada's site: http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/corporat...actus/overview. (It lists their phone hotline information as well as live chat and other online options as well.)

Katie
    Thank you for your kind thoughts Katie - very much appreciated!

I'm not too concerned about the brake issue... I've also experienced the "grabbing" that others have mentioned after letting the car sit for awhile after a wash, but this time it took a good few tries to get them to release. After few good hard stops yesterday, the pulsing had virtually disappeared. I'm sure it will be totally gone after my next drive.

Best regards,

Elie

stabie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V wagon

Happened to me a couple of times too after a wash. Now I always take it for a drive after a wash to dry out the rotors.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by garfin View Post
    Thank you for your kind thoughts Katie - very much appreciated!

I'm not too concerned about the brake issue... I've also experienced the "grabbing" that others have mentioned after letting the car sit for awhile after a wash, but this time it took a good few tries to get them to release. After few good hard stops yesterday, the pulsing had virtually disappeared. I'm sure it will be totally gone after my next drive.

Best regards,

Elie
    Elie, thank you for the prompt update! I'm happy to forum members have been helping you with your brake issue and that the pulsing seems to be decreasing already!

All the best,

Katie

vagondr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 CTS-V wagon WD graphite 6MT Corsa Sports

Freezing up and locking of disc brakes is not unique to our cars. I'm a fanatic about washing off road salt and this has caused the same problem with other vehicles I've owned after vigerously hosing the underbody in sub-freezing conditions. Our brakes are so exposed they're going to get soaked. A short drive should prevent this or a hairdryer if we wanted to prevent more salt exposure.

The parking brakes are of the shoe/drum type activated by a module and cable which are exposed by removing the REAR rotors. If they were ever to lock up (due more likely to a malfunction rather than ice) there is a release procedure. With the engine off switch the ignition to RUN. The transmission must be in neutral (park w. AT) and the brake pedal applied throughout the procedure. Hold down the parking brake switch for five seconds When the parking brake lamp flashes release and press and release the switch. The brake cable tension will be completely released. If this should fail the brake can be manually released with a screwdriver from under the car by backing off the adjuster as with the old drum brakes, but it could take several dozen turns.

This has nothing to do with the icing condition described above but may keep someone from being stranded.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.