Oil change - now oil smell?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Oil change - now oil smell? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Ok - so had my oil changed at the dealer a few weeks ago. Have been dreading this day since ...
    94danstang is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 V Sedan

Oil change - now oil smell?

Ok - so had my oil changed at the dealer a few weeks ago. Have been dreading this day since day one - I hate having to bring my car anywhere and have this done (yes - I could do it myself, but I have a bad back - can't get down there, blah blah blah).

After the oil change I now have a burning oil smell. I only smell it at stops. I understand maybe I would smell something for a day or so, but this has been two or three weeks and I still smell it. That seems a bit excessive to me. Thoughts? Is this normal? Maybe something is leaking but I don't see any oil on the garage floor. Just strange.

Oh - and another question - opinions on if I should get the carpet replaced or not (keeps falling down or catching on my foot)? That seems like an excessive fix for something that is only mildly annoying. I really don't want them tearing up the entire interior. Has anyone had it done? Was it worth it?

I REALLY want the wheel clicking fixed - it drives me nuts!

Thanks.

DAN

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Re: Oil change - now oil smell?

Unsure on the oil smell. There must be residual oil. Perhaps spray the entire motor with a cleaner (like Duragloss Orange Cleaner), let it sit, then rinse it off. If there is oil on the headers or something, that will remove it. WORST CASE: Your filter is loose. You should just see if it's tight. If it's loose, hand-tighten it really good. Yell at your dealer.

For the carpet: Yank it back, spray on spray adhesive, and stick it into place.

Wheel clicking: Take off wheel, clean wheel, clean hub, dab on some grease, reinstall to 158 ft lbs.

mrk4543 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Black Diamond Coupe; 2008 ZO6 Corvette

Sounds like the friendly dealer's tech spilled oil somewhere on the motor or as noted the filter may be loose. Regarding brake issue, take it to the dealer....there is a TSB about it (actually there was a shitpotfull) but the latest required changing of the lug nuts...different style and torque value.

Marty

Dogbreath is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I'd bet that the oil smell is from the filter. If they didn't properly clean the seat and put oil on the gasket before install, it can leak. They may not have torqued the filter properly either. That's what happened to me. The Stealer that I bought the car from didn't do the job right. When I changed the oil myself, I found the filter dripping and residue on the front of the trans pan.

AKA ZR1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS V 6MT

Dan, I change my own oil and have that same problem. It boggles my mind why this happens.I swear a drop doesn't spilt anywhere but I get a burning oil smell as well for a few weeks. Annoying as hell and bugs me.
    Maybe it is from the oil filter seat,il have to check that next time, can't see what else it could be.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

94danstang, I do recommend checking with your dealership about your oil smell concerns, and please feel free to email me as well if you would like me to research further for you or contact your dealer on your behalf. (Including the last eight of your VIN in your message would be very helpful!)

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Takes a real long time for spilled oil to burn off engine parts. Is the level right where it should be? Are there any oil spots on the garage floor? This does actually seem kinda normal with a lot of cars where drain oil gets on the motor and you get that smell for a long time. A good mechanic always sprays and cleans down after with parts clearner, but good mechanics are fewer and far between these days.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.