Interesting article: E85 vs. Gasoline
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Interesting article: E85 vs. Gasoline in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Edmunds did a real world test to the best of their ability. The results are pretty interesting. Brian http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...762696&msite=w...
    Brian in GA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): "08 Escalade, 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Interesting article: E85 vs. Gasoline

Edmunds did a real world test to the best of their ability. The results are pretty interesting.

Brian

http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...762696&msite=w

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Re: Interesting article: E85 vs. Gasoline

It's already common knowledge that E85 sucks. That old test is just one more marker.

I wish they'd take all the ethanol out of our gas, it increases cost and reduces fuel efficiency. It is time for the ethanol failure to end.

93hrdtoptt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

e85 is great if you would normally run race gas that costs $6 plus a gallon. I would figure that if you made an engine specifically for E-85 or higher then you would really benefit. IE high compression. You would use less fuel to get the power then. the anti knock characteristics of the ethanol would allow you to run it much leaner and still be safe. A 14 or 15 to one compression small displacement turbocharged engine maybe?

ExpatMedic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V
    The V loves E-85

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

^^^^
    With the right tune, you are correct. My objection is in everyday driving, for which the benefit for most people (who don't drive flex-fuel engines designed for it) is questionable.

I agree.

E-85 in my city is currently $3.19 and premium gas is $3.56...still not a large enough price difference to make it more economical, but still very well worth it for what I'm running and my future plans. The little extra cost for e-85 is well worth it in a boosted application, imo. I'll virtually never have to worry about knock ruining my engine. From my understanding, you have to REALLY screw up a tune to get E-85 to knock.

I haven't had enough time behind the wheel on e-85 yet (ive been overseas), but instant mileage on the hwy was showing around 20 on my way home from the dyno. I assume city mileage and/or average mileage is probably considerably worse than gas.

jrl657 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Did you upgrade your injectors to use e85? I only ask because the previous car i drove was a e85 tuned Subaru STI. In order to use the E85 i needed to upgrade the fuel pump and get larger injectors. The car was really a beast on e85 but fuel milage went to less than 10mpg. The built-in computer showed +20mpg but was lying because it was assuming the old injectors where still squirting the juice.

What has to be done for the V to run E85?

Yea, I went with the ID850's, but larger injectors are needed for an upper/lower pulley combo on regular pump gas too. Fuel pump is stock and seems to be working. When I get back, I'll be doing some more data logging to see where we are at on the stock pump. My main concern will be whether or not there is enough room to run e-85+nitrous.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpatMedic View Post
    I agree.

E-85 in my city is currently $3.19 and premium gas is $3.56...still not a large enough price difference to make it more economical, but still very well worth it for what I'm running and my future plans. The little extra cost for e-85 is well worth it in a boosted application, imo. I'll virtually never have to worry about knock ruining my engine. From my understanding, you have to REALLY screw up a tune to get E-85 to knock.

I haven't had enough time behind the wheel on e-85 yet (ive been overseas), but instant mileage on the hwy was showing around 20 on my way home from the dyno. I assume city mileage and/or average mileage is probably considerably worse than gas.
    Just the political crapstorm behind ethanol is enough for me not to use it...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Karch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 TG sedan, 6A,LPE 650, and a few more mods.

If you really look into ethanol use as a fuel, and look into all the details, it's really bad.

It's motivated, IMO, by big agriculture lobbying Congress.

It's subsidized, reduces food on a global level, raises food prices across the board, is not fuel efficient (limits range, etc), but, nonetheless, it is knock resistant. I will be the first to give it that.

Seriously, end the subsidy first and foremost, then see where the price stabilizes.

I just sat through a few days of meetings, and one of which was about current and future oil and gas supplies. Things are really changing on the domestic marketplace, and this will make ethanol an even worse option.
    Our domestic/import ratio has increased markedly, and is projected to keep increasing.

This is good for jobs, and if we keep pushing reduced fuel consumption, this will have positive long-term effects on the economy, environment (less shipping of oil, plus if we continue better fuel economy, plus using methane for power production rather than coal), and the political cluster**** in the Middle East (if we import less, then ME oil decreases in price, making Iranian oil even less attractive for the Russians and Chinese, further sinking their economy and increasing the likeliness of a revolution).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.