Rev limiter
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Rev limiter in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Is there any long term damage from hitting the rev limiter (to the point that it cuts fuel off)? I ...
    Has No Left is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan

Rev limiter

Is there any long term damage from hitting the rev limiter (to the point that it cuts fuel off)? I was out with a co-worker letting him have some wheel time and he missed a shift.

I owed him some seat time, as he's let me drive his 700whp Mustang a few times....that is a scary car to drive one the street.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mike02z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan Black Raven 6 speed manual

Re: Rev limiter

No. That is what the limiter is there for, to protect the engine/drive train from damage. I have hit the limiter a few times as I'm used to my vette which has a higher limiter. I just go by sound and have hit the limiter 2-4 times in the V over 10k miles.

shchow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS-V; 2010 Escalade ESV

Should be no problem.
    This is the one area in the V that could be better.
    If you hit the redline, the abrupt cut off in power is almost like you hit the brakes...rather jarring.
    In my last E60 M5, you could bounce off the rev limiter with minimal drama.

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

Just make sure you don't mis-shift into a lower gear instead of an upper one, and you'll be fine. Hitting the rev limiter is fine, but the rev limiter can't stop the engine from mechanically overspinning if you engage the clutch in second from the top of third or something like that. But just hitting the limiter isn't an issue, that's what it's there for.

Mike02z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan Black Raven 6 speed manual

Quote Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
    Just make sure you don't mis-shift into a lower gear instead of an upper one, and you'll be fine. Hitting the rev limiter is fine, but the rev limiter can't stop the engine from mechanically overspinning if you engage the clutch in second from the top of third or something like that. But just hitting the limiter isn't an issue, that's what it's there for.
    Good point. As noted, no computer can control a mechanical over rev. I hit my limiter in the V again today. Always at the top of first. I know the gearing is different than my vette but I can shift the vette right at 6200 and nail it every time. Probably cause the blower is building boost more is the reason you go from 5-6k faster. Hate it when I do that

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.