Voltage ran 14.9-15.0V the whole way to work today. Battery likely to die soon?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Voltage ran 14.9-15.0V the whole way to work today. Battery likely to die soon? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Voltage ran 14.9-15.0V the whole way to work this morning. Battery likely to die soon? It is about 4 years ...
    Mr. LCP is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Voltage ran 14.9-15.0V the whole way to work today. Battery likely to die soon?

Voltage ran 14.9-15.0V the whole way to work this morning. Battery likely to die soon? It is about 4 years old and we've had the first cool mornings of fall the last two days.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mr. LCP is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Voltage was down in the 13's and 14's on the way home.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Voltage ran 14.9-15.0V the whole way to work today. Battery likely to die soon?

Mr. LCP, have you had a chance to connect with your dealership yet regarding your concerns? I did some research for you and, according to my GM resources, the "Battery Voltage" display may fluctuate when viewing this information on the DIC. And this is normal.

If there is a problem with the battery charging system, your charging system light illuminates and/or the DIC displays a message. Have you received any such message? See the "Charging System Light" section of your owners manual on page 3-38, DIC Warnings and Messages on page 3-58 and Electric Power Management on page 3-21 for more information. I'm also available for further assistance anytime via email (Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com).

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

hanch04 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Re: Voltage ran 14.9-15.0V the whole way to work today. Battery likely to die soon?

I've noticed the same thing in my 2010 CTS-V, 29k miles. My voltage is all over the place but I have not seen any warnings. It runs at 15.1v, 15.2v, then down to 14.5v and if I've driving for over an hour it goes down to 12.8v. If I stop and restart the car it goes back to 14.5v. I don't know how long it's been doing it but I just started watching. I've not had any starting issues (yet). Is this a normal voltage swing for these cars? Or is there a problem? Again, I've not seen any warning messages and I've not been to a dealer yet.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hanch, if you don't mind sending me an email with the last eight of your VIN, I can investigate further for you. While I'm not on duty this weekend, I will be back in the office Monday at 8am EST and will make sure to check my accumulated messages then!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

14-15ish is totally normal.... the alternator is doing its job. As long as it stays over twelve you're good to go. In my experience it SHOULD be reading 14-15ish.

RoketRdr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Eldorado ESC; 2012 CTS-V Coupe
    This is perfectly normal and in fact you will see voltage drop to 12.5 or so. The new alternator systems GM started using will turn itself on and off as needed to save on fuel mileage and unnecessary charging. The Camaro's and trucks do the same thing. If its been off for a bit the voltage will ramp up high once it starts charging again.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Have you guys verified the DIC reading with a voltmeter at the battery also?

jft69z is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '11 V-Coupe Blk 6M, '69 Black Z-28/RS 454-5 spd, '13 Blk ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by RoketRdr View Post
    This is perfectly normal and in fact you will see voltage drop to 12.5 or so. The new alternator systems GM started using will turn itself on and off as needed to save on fuel mileage and unnecessary charging. The Camaro's and trucks do the same thing. If its been off for a bit the voltage will ramp up high once it starts charging again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Houdini View Post
    14-15ish is totally normal.... the alternator is doing its job. As long as it stays over twelve you're good to go. In my experience it SHOULD be reading 14-15ish.
    Absolutely correct. If you still need verification I can post the theory of operation directly from the GM eSI manual.

Haze is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V Wagon

Yeah, that's normal operation and anything over 12 is OK. What you are noticing is the voltage regulator adjusting to the needs of the charging system. As the battery is completely charged, the regulator shuts out further charging power from the alternator. Totally normal.

hanch04 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses. I guess I'm just used to the "old school" GM charging systems working at about 14.0v all the time and I was hoping the charging system wouldn't fry everything in the vehicle.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.