12 v coupe trashed left axle 2,400 miles
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By khoeysr
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, 12 v coupe trashed left axle 2,400 miles in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; New to this site, and looking for any input. I looked through a few pages for some help but couldnt ...
    bsh12vcoupe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 cts-v coupe

12 v coupe trashed left axle 2,400 miles

New to this site, and looking for any input. I looked through a few pages for some help but couldnt find anything related. This monday i was driving my 2,400 mile v, and while on the gas in 2nd gear i shattered the left axle. The dealership is telling me they will NOT cover the $1030 repair because I put aftermarket wheels and springs on the car. Its BS, my wheels and springs do not affect my axles. I baby this car, when I want to go raise hell I hop in my 07 z06. Now thats a car that can take a beating! In my opinion, caddy built a 556hp car with weak axles. That or I just had a defective axle. Either way I find it obserd that they are using my wheels and springs as a cop out to avoid paying a lousy $1000 bill. I paid 75k for a car with big power, obviously I want to use it. Guys let me remind you...2,400 miles!!!! Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Not a commonality.

If the wheels are heavy donks they could indeed cause a failure. But if they're not a whole bunch heavier than stock, then the dealer should warranty it.

How heavy are those wheels?

Re: 12 v coupe trashed left axle 2,400 miles

Hey thanks for the reply. The wheels are light weight forgiato 3 piece forged wheels. Im not talking junk, Im talking 7k best in the business. They are 22" compared to the factory 19" so obviously the extra 3" of aluminum is more weight, but keep in mind I also lost 3" of tire. The overall diameter is the same. Are they heavier....maybe by a little bit, but in my opinion, certainly not enough to snap an axle

smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

+1! What kind of wheels?

larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs

Generally the V2 axles are considered tough as hell. Yours is the first I have heard fail at stock levels. Geez can't figure out why it broke even if your rims are 5lbs heavier. Take a look at the failure. Is there an obvious flaw in the half shaft. At minimum the dealer should ask the supplier to review it and give their opinion/analysis. Take it up the food chain...... Springs would have ZERO to do with a failure, its not as if the springs caused wheel hop or something. Dealers.......ugghh Stealerships!

Attachment 0Forgiato Concavo

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Yeah, I'd say your dealer sucks.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Well, let's not condemn the dealership before we have all the facts. Are the wheels made for this car, how are the offsets, what was the ride height, etc?

VinATL is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V

I would say its either a defective part, or its your fault due to the aftermarket parts. We've got 10 second cars pulling 1.5x 60' times consistently on stock axles.

A defective part is what it is, but personally, I'd lean towards something on your aftermarket combo (bad offset/wrong spacing plus the new geometry with the suspension changes) being the culprit.

khoeysr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 V Coupe Crystal Red/Ebony

I am not looking to make anybody mad. I just wanted to offer my thoughts on mods and warranties.

First I should say I will never mod my V other than adding the paddle shifters or a carbon fiber chin spoiler. Nothing mechanical. That being said, I guess I don't understand why we should expect Cadillac or a dealer to honor their warranty on a vehicle which has been modified. We should certainly expect them to honor it when the car is 100% stock, as Cadillac built it and designed it. But they should not be expected to warranty against the parts or software of others, since they have no part in the design and manufacture of those products.

I can see that there are a lot of us who do mods and love them. But to me, one of the things you must accept when you mod the car is that you are on your own regarding warranties.

I am sure there will be some feedback on both sides. Don't kill me.
    hulksdaddy and hulksdaddy like this.

hulksdaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): <-----"Hulk" 2000-2012...He will always be missed :-(

^^^^I agree.

I will not mod my V until the warranty is over. Getting stuff fixed that was not my fault for free is worth a few tenths.

pat2t2f is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    I think there is a Cadillac dealer in NJ that is an authorized dealer for D3. I'm sure dr design can confirm that. I would think that if a cadillac dealer installed the modifications then that dealer would have to warranty the car no matter what the problem. I could be wrong. Any input from people who know would be appreciated

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

I dunno. Three mods to the suspension/rear driveline, and then a failure in the same area. Hmmmm...

Doesn't the dealer have to prove that the modification is directly and solely responsible for the failure? Moss-Maggnison Warranty Act or something???

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

It would seem unlikely that the axle would break under normal circumstances. Were you spinning the tires on gravel and then hit pavement? Or spinning tires on wet pavement then hit dry? It's jolts like that that end up breaking axles.

larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs

I don't see an offset on an aftermarket rim and a 1" drop and 5lbs of rim mass (assumed) is going to add axial load to a half shaft.

Drag radials, 18" rims and 1.5 60ft times are FAR more than any offset or mass. It is a faulty half shaft. I don't think the OP is trying to get one over on the dealer, No added HP mods and that half shaft should be covered.

I would also say adding 100RWHP is also far worse on a half shaft than some rims and springs.

You can only offset the rims so far, so its not like he did a hoopty rim sticking 3 inches out of the wheel wells.

Get some pictures of that half shaft up here and lets see if there are signs of porosity etc......

You stock boys need to grow a set........ JK

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.