Upgraded A6 in the 2012s
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mrkool
  • 1 Post By lazyflatfoot
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Upgraded A6 in the 2012s in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I read somewhere that the 2012 models have an improved algorithm that allows them to shift faster. Anyone have experience ...
  1. #1
    Has No Left's Avatar
    Has No Left is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    49

    Upgraded A6 in the 2012s

    I read somewhere that the 2012 models have an improved algorithm that allows them to shift faster. Anyone have experience in comparing this to the 2011s? Is this standard on all 2012s?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,347

    Re: Upgraded A6 in the 2012s

    its just faster responding tap up tap down. the tranny does not shift faster.

  4. #3
    Pphilthy's Avatar
    Pphilthy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Howell, NJ
    Age
    41
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona
    its just faster responding tap up tap down. the tranny does not shift faster.
    Not accurate, it does shift faster... There are vids on YouTube that explain the improvement on the ZL1 - the additional software parameters in the TCM have been confirmed on the 2012+ CTS-V's confirming such.

  5. #4
    Crystal Red CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V CRM Coupe (Airaid Intake & Corsa), 2011 Z06/Z07
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Beech Mountain, NC
    Posts
    251

    Re: Upgraded A6 in the 2012s

    Quote Originally Posted by Pphilthy View Post
    Not accurate, it does shift faster... There are vids on YouTube that explain the improvement on the ZL1 - the additional software parameters in the TCM have been confirmed on the 2012+ CTS-V's confirming such.
    Yes, that's correct. There have been several previous threads on this subject.

  6. #5
    larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,347

    Re: Upgraded A6 in the 2012s

    so has 0-60 and 1/4 mile improved as well? I see no claims of this. I read those articles too and it sounded like just the tap up tap down response got better so that is actually shifts when you want it to without so much delay, not that actual transmission gear to gear upshifts.

    ----------

    line pressures and increased fluid flow would be required to physically make an auto change mechanical gears faster, Algorithms and software upgrades cant physically move the 1-2 2-3 3-4 th etc....... any faster, but GM has been known ot have very slowly reacting tap up tap down response in recent years and it appears they have improved the tap up tap down response but this does not translate into faster acceleration times.

    If you have a pre 12 simple get one of the many fine tuners out there to crisp up your TU TD features for you. They did it before GM figured it out.

  7. #6
    Pphilthy's Avatar
    Pphilthy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Howell, NJ
    Age
    41
    Posts
    185

    Re: Upgraded A6 in the 2012s

    Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post
    so has 0-60 and 1/4 mile improved as well? I see no claims of this. I read those articles too and it sounded like just the tap up tap down response got better so that is actually shifts when you want it to without so much delay, not that actual transmission gear to gear upshifts.

    ----------

    line pressures and increased fluid flow would be required to physically make an auto change mechanical gears faster, Algorithms and software upgrades cant physically move the 1-2 2-3 3-4 th etc....... any faster, but GM has been known ot have very slowly reacting tap up tap down response in recent years and it appears they have improved the tap up tap down response but this does not translate into faster acceleration times.

    If you have a pre 12 simple get one of the many fine tuners out there to crisp up your TU TD features for you. They did it before GM figured it out.
    Not going to get into it with you, yes it shifts faster and no, you can't make a pre 2012 cts-v do the same with a tune as you don't have the additional parameters in those TCM... Search this forum, discussed at length - or just drive a +2012 and see for yourself...

  8. #7
    larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,347

    Re: Upgraded A6 in the 2012s

    read same as you and listened to many tuners. no need to argue it as it does not effect me one bit
    6m owner......

  9. #8
    chrisfox75's Avatar
    chrisfox75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Black Raven/Polished/Ultra-View/Sapele
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25

    Re: Upgraded A6 in the 2012s

    Pressures can be adjusted in the transmission with tuning software such as HP Tuners, i worked with a great LSX tuner from florida years ago on my GTO and he had the ability to adjust pressures in the software i had for my laptop connected to my GTO, transmission control is adjusted by electronic pulses that are controlled by programming in the TCM, so indeed it can be altered, there is no "special" code for shifting, yes they might have updated the firmware in the TCM but i doubt this model V is ending life they would completly rewrite the firmware and add special parameters, although possible, doubtful...

    Not wanting an argument just clarifying the waters from past experiences, it can be done in any year...

  10. #9
    mrkool is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, Harley VROD (Night Rod)
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    257

    Re: Upgraded A6 in the 2012s

    Owned a 2010 for a month and now have a 2012 and the 2012 shifting is much faster even in the normal mode. In the 2010 you press the gas pedal and the car thought about half a sec b4 going but in 2012 the shifting is instantaneous
    Pphilthy and Pphilthy like this.

  11. #10
    Pphilthy's Avatar
    Pphilthy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Howell, NJ
    Age
    41
    Posts
    185

    Re: Upgraded A6 in the 2012s

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisfox75 View Post
    Pressures can be adjusted in the transmission with tuning software such as HP Tuners, i worked with a great LSX tuner from florida years ago on my GTO and he had the ability to adjust pressures in the software i had for my laptop connected to my GTO, transmission control is adjusted by electronic pulses that are controlled by programming in the TCM, so indeed it can be altered, there is no "special" code for shifting, yes they might have updated the firmware in the TCM but i doubt this model V is ending life they would completly rewrite the firmware and add special parameters, although possible, doubtful...

    Not wanting an argument just clarifying the waters from past experiences, it can be done in any year...
    The TCM in the 2012 is different that the previous years... this has been confirmed and verified... The number of parameters and adjustments has increased, and you can't run a +2012 TCM code in a pre 2012 V...

    I still find it funny that people are debating this, just go drive a +2012 and see for yourselves, it shifts FAST! Faster than possible with a manual...

  12. #11
    chrisfox75's Avatar
    chrisfox75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Black Raven/Polished/Ultra-View/Sapele
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25

    Re: Upgraded A6 in the 2012s

    Hate to tell you but you need to read my post again before posting. I never debated the fact that the 2012 shifted different, i was simply clarifying that the older models CAN AND HAVE BEEN adjusted to reflect the shift points of the 2012, i have been a computer programmer for over 27 years now and it can be done in the older models, so in all reality a 2009-2011 can indeed be changed to shift like the 2012 i never said you can put a tcm in a 2011 from a 2012 i said you can change the shift points in the TCM firmware, read my post before you put your foot in your mouth, and i believe the other person larry arizona was stating the same thing that the other years could be adjusted, if you don't know how these things are coded then you cant talk intelligently about it.

  13. #12
    Pphilthy's Avatar
    Pphilthy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Howell, NJ
    Age
    41
    Posts
    185

    Re: Upgraded A6 in the 2012s

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisfox75 View Post
    Hate to tell you but you need to read my post again before posting. I never debated the fact that the 2012 shifted different, i was simply clarifying that the older models CAN AND HAVE BEEN adjusted to reflect the shift points of the 2012, i have been a computer programmer for over 27 years now and it can be done in the older models, so in all reality a 2009-2011 can indeed be changed to shift like the 2012 i never said you can put a tcm in a 2011 from a 2012 i said you can change the shift points in the TCM firmware, read my post before you put your foot in your mouth, and i believe the other person larry arizona was stating the same thing that the other years could be adjusted, if you don't know how these things are coded then you cant talk intelligently about it.
    You can not possibly make a pre-2012 shift as fast as a +2012 with the same modifications simply because you don't have the control and adjustment parameters that are provided in the +2012 TCM... What you aren't reading or comprehending, is the +2012 have much more adjust-ability/TCM tuning parameters, and functionality that are NOT available in the pre2012's///

    BTW - are you a TCM software engineer with intimate knowledge of the two TCMs - no... obviously... I have dozens of engineers that work for me, and some of the brightest software engineers in the country are on my team - none of them can tell me squat about the V TCM lol...

    Put your foot where the sun don't shine...

  14. #13
    chrisfox75's Avatar
    chrisfox75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Black Raven/Polished/Ultra-View/Sapele
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25

    Re: Upgraded A6 in the 2012s

    hahahahahhah, if you only knew.... loser... go troll somewhere else...

  15. #14
    Pphilthy's Avatar
    Pphilthy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Howell, NJ
    Age
    41
    Posts
    185

    Re: Upgraded A6 in the 2012s

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisfox75 View Post
    hahahahahhah, if you only knew.... loser... go troll somewhere else...
    OK internet tough guy- riddle me this, how are you going to tune and adjust tables and locations that AREN'T available in pre2012 A6 TCMs...? LOL Hint, pressure per gear vs rpm yes - on coming pressure for the next gear, no - only in the +2012's.



    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisfox75 View Post
    i have been a computer programmer for over 27 years now .
    Blue GTO from Lancaster PA...? So you have been a programmer since you were 8 years old - lol... I have formal training and certification in ECU calibration and tuning... I have been inside both the older and newer TCMs - have you? Didn't think so because you would know they aren't the same... Just search this site...

  16. #15
    lazyflatfoot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 CTS V ('11 Z07, '11 Must. GT, '11 Fusion)
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9

    Re: Upgraded A6 in the 2012s

    Tedboss1 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting