Need hel finding gas
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Need hel finding gas in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Live on Long Island, Suffolk County to be precise. As some of you may know, Hurricane Sandy has caused a ...
    RGaret is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Need hel finding gas

Live on Long Island, Suffolk County to be precise. As some of you may know, Hurricane Sandy has caused a tremendous fuel shortage here. I cannot find 93 octane anywhere. How bad would it be to fill up with regular 87? If that is not an option, does anyone know were there is 93 available? I am down to 1/4 tank and don't want to waste it looking for gas if I can help it.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Lenvo65 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan

Re: Need hel finding gas

No specific location for you - but you might try looking at twitter feed #nygas to see what people post there, also www.gasbuddy.com/sandy has been pretty reliable in NJ. I have found 93 octane consistently at a Pilot truck stop that is about 5-6 miles from my home in NJ near the NY state line - if there are any similar station on LI you might try that. Good Luck!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Use 87 and find some octane booster...

RGaret is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho
    Use 87 and find some octane booster...
    I was considering that. Any particular brand?

Zhariak is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Escalade ESV Platinum, 2013 CTS-V Coupe 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by RGaret View Post
    I was considering that. Any particular brand?
    WARNING!!!!

I've never used octane booster... But was looking for some back when I had an Escalade... CHECK TO SEE WHAT OTHER ADDITIVES IT HAS!

I never ended up using any in my Escalade because all the octane boosters I could find had additives that the manual specifically stated to NEVER put in the engine... I'm assuming the V is the same!

larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs

You are going to need a sh!t ton of the right kind of octane booster to get 87 to at least 91. You can run 87, just don't hoot on it at all and you will be fine.

vagondr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 CTS-V wagon WD graphite 6MT Corsa Sports

Toluene and xylene, called aromatics, are octane boosters comprising 5-10% of pump gas. These compounds are sold by the gallon in paint stores. Racing fuel has up to 25% aromatics. IMO these are the only safe octane boosters. For every 100 oz. toluene add 2.5 oz kerosene as a cleaner (Techron would likely work) and 3oz. lubricant (Marvel's Mystery Oil). There are octane charts on the internet indicating the volume required for desired result. If desperation drives you to such chemistry endeavors you should cause no harm. Personally, I would just wait a few days until the situation normalizes and you can purchase premium at the pump. GM advises no less than 89 octane and that for temporary use only. Here in central NJ there is plenty of gas. No lines and hardly any cars at the pumps after all the hoarding. Another choice is add 1/4 tank of 87 octane to your 93 octane, drive to Jersey and fill up.

I thought paint stores cracked down on selling large quantities of toluene and Xylene for making octane booster. I know prices went way up anyways.

However, great idea!

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

And if running 87 ends up being the only option, you can do it but the key is to reduce load on the engine whenever possible and don't use full throttle. And that doesn't mean keep the RPMs low necessarily, it means don't force the engine to work hard. For example if you're going up hill, the engine has to work harder at 2000 RPM than it does at 3000 to maintain speed. So keep engine speeds low when you're on flat ground or going downhill, but if you hit a hill, downshift and use light throttle and higher RPM rather than keeping it in 6th and using more throttle to compensate.

Doing that should keep you safe enough until you can get some 93 or octane booster. If at any time you hear a loud ticking or pinging from the engine, immediately get off the gas. That's detonation and it can actually be causing damage to your piston crown or ring lands. That's unlikely to happen I think, but keep an ear out for it.

I also recommend that if you have to run 87, fill up now while you still have some 93 in the tank, and use octane booster if you can, as vagondr described above.

Xylene $16/gal. at Lowe's.

Crystal Red CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V CRM Coupe (Airaid Intake & Corsa), 2011 Z06/Z07

As the owner's manual advises, 87 is OK if higher is not available, but avoid agressive driving and refill with premium ASAP.

JOEYCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

http://hessexpress.com/FuelInformation

This site has been pretty accurate. Thank god I've been running diesel all week, no lines and every station pretty much has it. We're burning 300 gallons a day in our generator! Can't wait till we get power back so I don't have to keep on refueling. Good luck.
    fogey0 and fogey0 like this.

OUCH $16 a gallon is way expensive, but in a pinch what choice do you have. Too bad you cant find a stations selling some 110 race gas, easy mix to get at least 91.

Zhariak is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Escalade ESV Platinum, 2013 CTS-V Coupe 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
    And if running 87 ends up being the only option, you can do it but the key is to reduce load on the engine whenever possible and don't use full throttle. And that doesn't mean keep the RPMs low necessarily, it means don't force the engine to work hard. For example if you're going up hill, the engine has to work harder at 2000 RPM than it does at 3000 to maintain speed. So keep engine speeds low when you're on flat ground or going downhill, but if you hit a hill, downshift and use light throttle and higher RPM rather than keeping it in 6th and using more throttle to compensate.

Doing that should keep you safe enough until you can get some 93 or octane booster. If at any time you hear a loud ticking or pinging from the engine, immediately get off the gas. That's detonation and it can actually be causing damage to your piston crown or ring lands. That's unlikely to happen I think, but keep an ear out for it.

I also recommend that if you have to run 87, fill up now while you still have some 93 in the tank, and use octane booster if you can, as vagondr described above.

And correct me if I'm wrong (I'm no car person), but since the supercharger induces heavier compression in the engine, avoid at all costs using the supercharger (don't floor it)... As far as I understand, octane reduces combustion (or maybe accidential combustion)... If the supercharger were to kick in, the compression in combination with the more explosive gas, could probably cause some mad mad mad problems!

So for example, even at lower RPMS, if your pressing harder to the point where the supercharger activates, I'm assuming it could cause some major problems.

Someone tell me if I'm right as I'm curious to know...

Many speed shops and race tracks sell unleaded racing fuel - 108-116 octane. Aromatics and ethanol (also an octane booster) provide the octane and it contains lots of preservative,cleaner and lubricant. Easily found calculators online will give the ratios needed to obtain any octane. It may not be cheap but it doesn't take much 116 octane to bring 87 up to 91. Anyway, it's snowing on LI so doubtful you have the V out. There really shouldn't be any gas shortage even with the minor refinery glitch. Too much hoarding by a paranoid public that now have more gas than they can use. I mean people were buying four gallons of milk before the storm only to have it spoil when the power failed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.