Which OBD II reader should I get?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By garfin
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Which OBD II reader should I get? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; First of all, I have no experience with this tool. The DIC is giving me a TC message and my ...
    Brian in GA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): "08 Escalade, 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Which OBD II reader should I get?

First of all, I have no experience with this tool. The DIC is giving me a TC message and my engine light turned on last night. I'd like to read this thing, clear it and start figuring it out on my own.
    It looks to me that there are cheapies out there that will read only, some you can read and clear and some that will read, clear, log runs in real time and hook up to my laptop.

Which one will be best for me? I would like to get something that will fill my needs as I become more knowledgeable about this subject, logging runs in real time seems like it will be very important to me as I already had a bout with an engine light while 3/4's the way down the strip but I had no way of telling what was happening.

Chime in and help please!! I'd like to go out and buy one today if I can find what I need in a store today. I'll buy online if it's truly in my best interest but it'll put me a few days out and the weather here is perfect right now!!!

As always, thank you in advance, I find these conversations most helpful in a community like this and always look forward to giving back as my knowledge base grows.

Brian

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Which OBD II reader should I get?

OK, so I'm thinking this one may do wha I need and allow to grow with it. I am not looking for a tuning package at this time, I'll leave that to the pros for the time being. Any opinions on this unit?

http://www.amazon.com/3160B-Professi...d_sim_sbs_hi_1

garfin is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

I can't say enough about the Torque Pro app for Android phones. This will do everything you want it to... and probably more. It costs about $5.00. However, you need to get a bluetooth adaptor to plug into your OBD II port. There are some good ones out there that are inexpensive. Stay away from the $10.00 ones on eBay that are shipped from Asia.
    If you don't have an Android device, there are similar apps for iPhones (Rev, DashCommand, CARbonga etc.)

Best regards,

Elie
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I am not a tuner or do I advocate tuning, but I have an Actron 9180. I bought it to replace the Actron unit that I had before when I found out that CAN capability was required on all new cars. Both Actron units would read all codes and reset anything. They will do a lot more, too. The 9180 is not made anymore, but the 9185 is a close substitute with increased capability. Actron units are available at Sears and PEP Boys. They are self-contained, and don't require a cell phone or other separate unit. That is my choice.

muohio is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I use this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i00 plus Torque on my Android phone. Does a really good job and haven't had any problems. Where are you in Georgia? I may be able to help.

Quote Originally Posted by muohio
    I use this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i00 plus Torque on my Android phone. Does a really good job and haven't had any problems. Where are you in Georgia? I may be able to help.
    Yes, I'm in Canton and I can get anywhere in the Atlanta area with ease. I think I have my brother talked into HP Tuners purchase splitting the cost. I have n iPhone, Torque is not supported by apple.

muohio is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in GA View Post
    Yes, I'm in Canton and I can get anywhere in the Atlanta area with ease. I think I have my brother talked into HP Tuners purchase splitting the cost. I have n iPhone, Torque is not supported by apple.
    I'm across 20 in Cumming. Let me know if you need something sooner and I can hook up my reader.

Quote Originally Posted by muohio

I'm across 20 in Cumming. Let me know if you need something sooner and I can hook up my reader.
    Awesome, thank you for the offer. We should get together regardless. I've met a couple of us sofar. I'm going to try and organize something, a small quick meet with all of us. Casual and quick.

oneman42 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan, Black, 6MT, no mods, LED int bulb swap

Brian, I hope I am not too late.
    The OBD codes can be read/deleted by any OBD2 readers. Some of them will only display only the code and then you have to look up on their CD / internet to find out what your problem is. Some of them will read the code and explain it on the screen. For a few of them they can also read the KR (knock retard) which in our case is important, so you will need one that reads the extended parameters and usually you can buy one that is specific to Ford, GM or Chrysler. Usually the IAT (intake temp) is not part of the extended package but is generic.
    The first character identifies identifies the system related to the trouble code.
    P = Powertrain
    B = Body
    C = Chassis
    U = Undefined
    For a few of them you will need the cable and can be run from your laptop, others are self contained units.
    http://www.scantool.net/software/
    From the Pontiac Grand Prix forum this one is one of the best (laptop required): http://batauto.com/articles/AT/AutoT..._Windows.shtml - and this can log the parameters while you are driving.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equus-3150...ndingMethod=rr (I am using this one)
    I am not familiar with the Android ones.
    HTH,
    George

Quote Originally Posted by oneman42
    Brian, I hope I am not too late.
    The OBD codes can be read/deleted by any OBD2 readers. Some of them will only display only the code and then you have to look up on their CD / internet to find out what your problem is. Some of them will read the code and explain it on the screen. For a few of them they can also read the KR (knock retard) which in our case is important, so you will need one that reads the extended parameters and usually you can buy one that is specific to Ford, GM or Chrysler. Usually the IAT (intake temp) is not part of the extended package but is generic.
    The first character identifies identifies the system related to the trouble code.
    P = Powertrain
    B = Body
    C = Chassis
    U = Undefined
    For a few of them you will need the cable and can be run from your laptop, others are self contained units.
    http://www.scantool.net/software/
    From the Pontiac Grand Prix forum this one is one of the best (laptop required): http://batauto.com/articles/AT/AutoT..._Windows.shtml - and this can log the parameters while you are driving.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equus-3150...ndingMethod=rr (I am using this one)
    I am not familiar with the Android ones.
    HTH,
    George
    Thanks for the post. oneman, I'll read up on these.

Thanks

TallGuyJ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Silver CTS-V
    Don't mean to hijack this thread but does the torque pro app have oil temperature and oil life on it? What about mpg? Does it have average or instantaneous?

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyJ View Post
    Don't mean to hijack this thread but does the torque pro app have oil temperature and oil life on it? What about mpg? Does it have average or instantaneous?
    Oil temp = yes
    MPG, instantaneous and long term avg. = yes for both

Also transmission temperature, but I don't see oil life.

Best regards,

Elie

jb_bgg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Black/Black V, Manual, Recaros, loaded

Elie,

I did a Torque scan to obtain all available PIDs not standard. Found most of what I'm looking for (KR, timing advance, IAT2, trans and oil temp, etc.) but have not found differential oil temp. Since the DIC displays diff overheat we know there's a sensor there. Do you know which PID scans that?

Thank you!
    jb

Quote Originally Posted by jb_bgg View Post
    Elie,

I did a Torque scan to obtain all available PIDs not standard. Found most of what I'm looking for (KR, timing advance, IAT2, trans and oil temp, etc.) but have not found differential oil temp. Since the DIC displays diff overheat we know there's a sensor there. Do you know which PID scans that?

Thank you!
    jb
    Not a clue - but I see that you're already way-y-y ahead of me on the Torque message board trying to find an answer!

Ian updates the program so frequently, I'd be surprised if the capability to communicate differential temperature isn't added sooner than later.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Elie

Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

jb, can you post up the PIDs/formulas that you found by doing the full scan so I can enter them manually?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.