Battery Issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By FLTRI
  • 2 Post By readyact
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Battery Issues in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; 2011 CTS-V Coupe I have had to go into the dealer 3 times over the past 4 months due to ...
    CTSvd is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Battery Issues

2011 CTS-V Coupe

I have had to go into the dealer 3 times over the past 4 months due to battery issues (car not starting). I drive the car maybe 2 times a week. I have noticed that when the car sits for more than 3 days the battery dies. They have replaced the battery twice and still do not know whats going on. Has anyone experienced this same issue? I am thinking about getting a better battery or is there a problem with the factory one that Cadillac uses for these cars?

I have not touched or modded anything electronically and there is nothing plugged into the cigarette lighter that could be draining the battery when the car is off.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

baabootoo is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Re: Battery Issues

Nah, it's not the battery for sure. Mine sat for almost a month in Wisconsin last winter, and while it cranked slow, it still fired. It has GOT to be a drain issue. You can't have gotten three bad batteries. Are you able to connect a meter to it and pull certain fuses to see if the voltage jumps up? This will show what circuit is draining it. It must be significant too. There is that "auto shut off" also that is supposed to turn circuits off so they aren't used. Does your radio go off after 10? minutes when the key is turned off? Test that a couple of times that make sure that one is working. What about your courtesy lights? They should also go off after a short time too.

larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs

agree, you have a drain occuring.

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

^^this^^

Mine is a weekend only ride, and often isn't started for 3-4 weeks at a time. Never had a problem, not even slow cranking. Should be easy to diagnose, and if your dealer has already replaced two batteries without getting to the root of the problem, I'd find a new dealer...
    RapidRob and RapidRob like this.

readyact is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V

CTSvd, are you leaving the key fob in or near the car? If so that more than likely is the cause of the drain issue.
    TiredIronGRB and TiredIronGRB like this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

CTSvd, I'm really sorry to hear you've been having these persistent frustrations! Readyact asks a great clarifying question (above), and I'd be interested to hear the answer as well.

If you'd like any assistance following up with your current dealer or locating an alternative dealer in your area, email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Definitely a drain. I am still on my original battery after over 3 1/2 years with my V, and it still fires right up even after a week of sitting. Back to the dealer!

cmann_97 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe

My 2009 CTS-V sedan had this problem. Battery would go dead every 3 days. Can't imagine this not being fixed by 2011. But my problem was fixed by a TSB software update. The culprit was having the seats set for auto-recall and having the dash panel lights set on (not any certain intensity). Turning the dash lights off or turning the auto-recall function and dash lights fixed the problem until I got the software patch.

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I have had or have now four CTS-Vs. I had a problem with the battery on my 2004, which would slow-start after 2 and 1/2 years. During that time I used the recall function. The battery was replaced under warranty and the dealer said nothing about a software patch. After GM screwed up the recall function, I stopped using it and had no further problems. I have never left the FOB in or near the car after shut down.

ba_rt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

cmann_97, do you have any additional info on that software patch? I bought an 09 CTS-V recently, still under warranty. Have the same battery
    drain issue. Have been to a dealership twice, they tested the battery and it tested above normal. They did re-program the memory seat module
    since they found a GM bulletin about that, but that did not take care of the problem. I will try disabling the auto-recall, but I like the feature and
    don't want to not use it because of the software issue.

Quote Originally Posted by cmann_97 View Post
    My 2009 CTS-V sedan had this problem. Battery would go dead every 3 days. Can't imagine this not being fixed by 2011. But my problem was fixed by a TSB software update. The culprit was having the seats set for auto-recall and having the dash panel lights set on (not any certain intensity). Turning the dash lights off or turning the auto-recall function and dash lights fixed the problem until I got the software patch.

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I have a 2009 CTS-V with no battery problems (it still has the original battery). I have never had the seats on automatic. As the poster said, GM screwed that up and have never fixed it. I know, because I have a 2013 CTS-V with the same problem. I don't know about a TSB and have never needed it.

flatrockguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Raven V Sedan, M6, Graphite Rims, Yellow Brembos

I posted this on another thread, it may help.

xTooltipElement
    Service Information
    2009 Cadillac CTS | CTS VIN D Service Manual | View All Bulletins | Document ID: 2343839
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#09-08-50-002A: Vehicle Will Not Crank/Start, Battery Goes Dead, Four Amp Draw from Memory Seat Module (MSM) (Reprogram MSM) - (Sep 9, 2009)
    Subject: Vehicle Will Not Crank/Start, Battery Goes Dead, Four Amp Draw From Memory Seat Module (MSM) (Reprogram MSM)

Models: 2008- 2009 Cadillac CTS, CTS-V

Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint 90160070

Equipped With EZ-Key RPO UHA, UHF

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to provide a VIN breakpoint. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-08-50-002 (Section 08 – Body and Accessories).

Condition

Some customers may comment that the vehicle will not crank or start and the battery goes dead.

If battery electrical drain/parasitic load testing is performed while the condition is present, a four amp draw can be traced to the memory seat module (MSM). The draw will be present until the battery goes dead, the MSM power is disconnected, or the 1 or 2 memory switch on the driver door is pressed.

Cause

This condition may be caused by a software conflict within the MSM that causes the low speed GMLAN bus to stay awake if the vehicle detects keyless transmitter number 3 or number 4 and the memory seat recall/easy exit recall is set to ON in the driver information center (DIC).

Note: This condition will only happen if all three of the conditions listed below are true.

• The vehicle has the EZ-key option (RPO UHA, UHF).

• The memory seat/easy exit recall is set to "On" or "Automatic On".

• A fob driver ID of greater than number 2 is used.

Correction

• A revised calibration has been developed to address this condition.

• Reprogram the MSM using the Service Programming System (SPS) with the latest calibration available on TIS2WEB. Refer to the SPS procedures in SI.

• During programming, the battery voltage must be maintained within the proper range of 12-15 volts. Only use the approved Midtronics® PSC550 Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent during programming.

• When using a Tech 2® for reprogramming, ensure that it is updated with the latest software version.

• When using a multiple diagnostic interface (MDI) for reprogramming, ensure that it is updated with the latest software version.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

N9524*

Driver Seat Module – Reprogram Using SPS

0.4 hr

*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2013 General Motors. All rights reserved.

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

Wow, 4 amps parasite draw. That will kill any battery. I had a Toyota that had a bad switch for the glovebox light. It was on with the door closed and killed the battery after 4 days or so. That was hard to find since it was defective when the glovebox door was closed.....and no light came out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.