recommendation for brake bleeder kit
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By M5eater
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, recommendation for brake bleeder kit in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I just learned that there is another driving school this year at mid-Ohio. It is November 3, 4 and 5. ...
    Trionalaw is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

recommendation for brake bleeder kit

I just learned that there is another driving school this year at mid-Ohio. It is November 3, 4 and 5. Friday, the 3rd, is for instructors and advanced drivers which of course will not include me.

As I have alerted the forum in the past, my 11-year-old daughter and I installed an air raid intake system to my 2012 CTS- V coupe, which she is now taking full credit for. I need to change my brake fluid to .4 just in case. I have had no problems with my brakes at the past three driving schools I have attended but one never knows!

I need a recommendation for a good brake bleeder kit that Lily and I can use to change the brake fluid kit.The Mityvac systems have been getting horrible reviews. I know one can get a $10 kit at local automotive stores which use pumping the brake pedal for the pressure. I have read on the forum that is not a very good way to do it.

Any recommendations? I would like something reasonably priced.

This Craftsman looks pretty good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAwQ9kwMdVk

As always, much appreciated for your help.

Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

Re: recommendation for brake bleeder kit

I had awesome luck with the motive power bleeder system. It worked great on my V1 and I'm sure it would work the same on my V2 but I haven't tried it. On the V1 I had adapter caps for the brake reservoir and the clutch reservoir. Very easy to use and makes it a one man job.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ake-fluid.html

Trionalaw is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Thank you, Harry!

Unfortunately I do not have an air compressor.

69mets is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Cadillac CTS-V, MN6, Driven Daily

No need for an air compressor, it pumps up by hand. I too have the motive power bleeder and it works great. Very easy to use.

Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

Yep...hand pump for the win.... not that I do a lot of hand pumping.

JFJr is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houdini
    Yep...hand pump for the win.... not that I do a lot of hand pumping.
    Too much hand pumping can be bad! Sometimes pressure can be controlled in other ways.

Jud

pajeff10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4

I use my MityVac all the time to bleed brakes and to flush out the old brake fluid on our cars. Never had an issue with it. Just have to be sure that you do not suck the reservoir dry during the process. Start at the right rear caliper and then work your way closer to the master cylinder.

M5eater is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

motive , motive, motive.

There is no substitute, there is no superior. It's reasonably priced, and it will last--- mine needed new tubing after 4-5 years, but it still works 100%.
    Houdini and Houdini like this.

cruiser68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    motive , motive, motive.

There is no substitute, there is no superior. It's reasonably priced, and it will last--- mine needed new tubing after 4-5 years, but it still works 100%.
    +1, had one going on 10 years.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    The one I bought from Griots is awesome. Yes, you need an air compressor, but it is incredibly easy and fast. I've done it multiple times on my V right before track days...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

pmsteinm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (Blue Diamond Manual/Recaros/Nav/Suede/Polished)

+1 for the Motive bleeder. Use the car specific adapters, not the generic one. I have the GM one and the BMW one. I've flushed the V, BMW and even my 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora with it. The only thing it won't do is flush the V's clutch. The clutch appears to not be setup to allow for flushing without taking things apart? Even though the service manual say to do flush the clutch it doesn't actually list a procedure. Flushing the BMW clutch is easy because it has a bleed screw and shares the brake fluid reservoir (that's about the only thing that is easier on the BMW than the V).

M5eater is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
    +1 for the Motive bleeder. Use the car specific adapters, not the generic one. I have the GM one and the BMW one. I've flushed the V, BMW and even my 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora with it. The only thing it won't do is flush the V's clutch. The clutch appears to not be setup to allow for flushing without taking things apart? Even though the service manual say to do flush the clutch it doesn't actually list a procedure. Flushing the BMW clutch is easy because it has a bleed screw and shares the brake fluid reservoir (that's about the only thing that is easier on the BMW than the V).
    lol wut?

there's no bleeder screw to flush clutch fluid in the V?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.