Color question
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Color question in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I'm going to order a V soon and was very surprised to see that there is no 74U or similar ...
  1. #1
    thefox1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Soon
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    20

    Color question

    I'm going to order a V soon and was very surprised to see that there is no 74U or similar color. Does anyone know if a bright red will be available anytime soon? I find it a shame that for a sports car there is no bright red. Even BMW has a bright red option in the M series.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    1997BlackETC's Avatar
    1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,347

    Re: Color question

    You can get red tintcoat, that is fairly bright, not like fire engine bright but it is a nice color.

  4. #3
    elphil is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Really Cool '11 CTS-V Wagon
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Goodyear, AZ
    Posts
    1,003

    Re: Color question


  5. #4
    team_car is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE (YET)
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    35
    Posts
    29

    Re: Color question

    I think the red is much brighter in person than on the website builder/pics

  6. #5
    M5eater's Avatar
    M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Suffolk, VA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,528

    Re: Color question

    Quote Originally Posted by team_car View Post
    I think the red is much brighter in person than on the website builder/pics
    It is.

    It's still a deep and textured color though, I can understand the want for something more traditional.

    Just like I wanted a damn solid white, not that stupid diamond tri-coat that they have.

  7. #6
    thefox1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Soon
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    20
    Thread Starter

    Re: Color question

    Yeah, I know about the red tri-coat. But for me I find too dark and more appealing to the older generation :P. I just traded in this that my sales rep had to look for in this color for 4 weeks and then sent two guy's 400 miles to get!
    Attached Images

  8. #7
    larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,347

    Re: Color question

    ohhhhh you want "arrest me red" for the younger generation. I don't think it fits the V's image.

  9. #8
    thefox1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Soon
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    20
    Thread Starter

    Re: Color question

    Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post
    ohhhhh you want "arrest me red" for the younger generation. I don't think it fits the V's image.
    So it dosen't fit the V's image but does the M's?

  10. #9
    Vincentc112 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Coupe
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6

    Re: Color question

    Quote Originally Posted by thefox1 View Post
    So it dosen't fit the V's image but does the M's?
    I agree with that... Having had both, the cars are so different

  11. #10
    M5eater's Avatar
    M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Suffolk, VA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,528

    Re: Color question

    Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post
    ohhhhh you want "arrest me red" for the younger generation. I don't think it fits the V's image.
    I would say the CTS-V fits the younger crowd image more than the M5 does.

    How many 20-30 years olds own V2s?

    How many own F10 M5s?

    The V2 is priced squarely at M3 money, and the M3 *is* geared for younger people.

    The problem is, GM doesn't think that translates into the V2 being for young people. Even though the demographics on this board clearly say otherwise.

    The colorpalette for the CTS and CTS-V are 'clearly' more sophisticated than rebellous, and that's generally a safe way to play it for the 5 series and E class it was targeting, but these cars cost 3 series money, so there's going to be some headbutting on those issues. For some reason there just wasnt' any decision to move forward with the palette changes for younger demographs (even though one would argue they knew younger people liked these cars if the caliper, grille and wheel color options are any indicators) or maybe the lines on the V looked hedious with a yellow, red and orange. I don't know.

  12. #11
    larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,347

    Re: Color question

    GM will not be making a solid bright red V2. This is the last year of production for the V2

    Color is a personal choice of course and I respect your desire for the solid bright red. My take on it is that GM chose to use richer metallic colors such as the tricoats series (red, white,black,blue and Obsidian Blue, Thunder Gray) and charged a $1000 premium for these colors. The only solid color available is good old black. The rest of the colors are standard metallics.

    Like you concluded the colors GM chose are set to a older demographic as I think the V2 is marketed for the 35+ crowd (that might be on the low end) and I would say the red is a younger demographic.

    My 2 cents........ and worth very little

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    I would say the CTS-V fits the younger crowd image more than the M5 does.

    How many 20-30 years olds own V2s?

    How many own F10 M5s?

    The V2 is priced squarely at M3 money, and the M3 *is* geared for younger people.

    The problem is, GM doesn't think that translates into the V2 being for young people. Even though the demographics on this board clearly say otherwise.

    The colorpalette for the CTS and CTS-V are 'clearly' more sophisticated than rebellous, and that's generally a safe way to play it for the 5 series and E class it was targeting, but these cars cost 3 series money, so there's going to be some headbutting on those issues. For some reason there just wasnt' any decision to move forward with the palette changes for younger demographs (even though one would argue they knew younger people liked these cars if the caliper, grille and wheel color options are any indicators)
    M5 your the only V2 owner under 25 (both of your V's) that didnt have someone buy it for them.......

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post
    GM will not be making a solid bright red V2. This is the last year of production for the V2

    Color is a personal choice of course and I respect your desire for the solid bright red. My take on it is that GM chose to use richer metallic colors such as the tricoats series (red, white,black,blue and Obsidian Blue, Thunder Gray) and charged a $1000 premium for these colors. The only solid color available is good old black. The rest of the colors are standard metallics.

    Like you concluded the colors GM chose are set to a older demographic as I think the V2 is marketed for the 35+ crowd (that might be on the low end) and I would say the red is a younger demographic.

    My 2 cents........ and worth very little

    ----------



    M5 your the only V2 owner under 25 (both of your V's) that didnt have someone buy it for them.......
    Not calling out the other younger V2 owners, Just ribbing M5 hehehe

  13. #12
    thefox1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Soon
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    20
    Thread Starter

    Re: Color question

    Yeah well my Dad is 72 and owns a 2010 Orange Camaro. He always looked for the most outrageous new color in new vehicles he purchased. But that's a shame, there's a difference between age and being old! But you are right; GM execs are not only old but old in spirit!! So I guess we will never see cool colors in the V. Hopefully they won’t try to make the next V front wheel drive!!

  14. #13
    M5eater's Avatar
    M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Suffolk, VA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,528

    Re: Color question

    Color is a personal choice of course and I respect your desire for the solid bright red. My take on it is that GM chose to use richer metallic colors such as the tricoats series (red, white,black,blue and Obsidian Blue, Thunder Gray) and charged a $1000 premium for these colors. The only solid color available is good old black. The rest of the colors are standard metallics.
    you know what's interesting?

    Red tintcoat costs $325 on a cruze, but $995 on a CTS =.='''

    M5 your the only V2 owner under 25 (both of your V's) that didnt have someone buy it for them.......
    yeah well... well... I don't have any snappy comebacks for that .

  15. #14
    FLTRI's Avatar
    FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Age
    50
    Posts
    841

    Re: Color question

    Frankly, I was amazed when I joined the board at the large amount of under 30 V owners that are here. Speaks volumes of what GM has done to revise their demographic. Fantastic marketing, IMHO...

  16. #15
    larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,347

    Re: Color question

    Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    you know what's interesting?

    Red tintcoat costs $325 on a cruze, but $995 on a CTS =.='''


    yeah well... well... I don't have any snappy comebacks for that .
    Did you know that the most expensive process in making a car is painting it? If you ever witnessed the painting process and see what it takes to run a paintshop it is down right mind boggling. Throw in booths, ovens, energy usage for heating or cooling and humidification to hold a steady 70F and 70%RH enviroment and then throw in the handling of paint waste and enviromental containment of paint effluence and its $$$$$$$. So I understand that given the same paint color run in a low volume plant like Lansing Grand River and a high volume plant like Lordstown (cruze) and I can see the cost difference. Plus GM makes no profit on small cars like cruzes and does make money on a V or CTS for that matter.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting