Two S/C questions about the V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Two S/C questions about the V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; #1 -- What is the boost guage actually telling me? Is it Xpsi relative to sea-level, or is it Xpsi ...
    Jayfrigginjones is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black, Auto

Two S/C questions about the V

#1 -- What is the boost guage actually telling me? Is it Xpsi relative to sea-level, or is it Xpsi relative to ambient pressure. This matters to me since I'm over a mile in altitude, and wonder if the S/C is compensating, or if i'm suffering the same 20% power loss as the N/A cars.

#2 -- What would happen if I drove the car with the belt off the S/C? Would something overheat? Seize? Would mpg increase? Would the engine fall out and explode beneath me?

Thanks
    Jay

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

V Wagon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon-Raven Black, manual, satin graphite wheels

Re: Two S/C questions about the V

There's really no reason to drive with the belt off the blower. Under cruise conditions it already opens a bypass and doesn't make boost. It takes very little power to turn it when it isn't compressing air. Nothing would overheat, or seize, MPG wouldn't increase any noticeable amount. The only thing you would notice is a lack of power when you floor it.

----------

Oooops, forgot this isn't like the Lightning was where it had a separate belt for the blower. The blower belt is the accessory belt. So if you take it off the blower, it won't be tight to the other accessories and none of them will be driven. So yes, you will overheat the engine, seize, it will blow up and all that other doom and gloom you mentioned.

I suppose you could get a shorter belt and then MAYBE you would be able to come up with an appropriate routing to drive all the accessories. But you would get no benafit from it so it'd be a big waste of time.

MacBuster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I'm curious about the altitude question, also, since I'm much higher than sea level.

N/A cars here lose something like 20% of their power. One benefit of Turbo cars here, is that they don't. What about the S/C?

Quote Originally Posted by MacBuster View Post
    I'm curious about the altitude question, also, since I'm much higher than sea level.

N/A cars here lose something like 20% of their power. One benefit of Turbo cars here, is that they don't. What about the S/C?
    Maybe this is accurate, but maybe it's not. If the boost guage of *any* forced induction car is relative to ambient pressure, then it will loose power just like the N/A cars. If it is relative to sea-level pressure, then turbo and S/C cars should be able to compensate.

larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs

boost is relative to ambient atmospheric pressure. Yes you will lose power similar to any other NA vehicle, however, you can increase boost to make more power too. Your power will always be relative to your given altitude and pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfrigginjones View Post
    Maybe this is accurate, but maybe it's not. If the boost guage of *any* forced induction car is relative to ambient pressure, then it will loose power just like the N/A cars. If it is relative to sea-level pressure, then turbo and S/C cars should be able to compensate.
    I think we are largely asking the same question. Basically, I want to know if the S/C gets us back up to "sea level"? I think your average turbo can just work harder to ensure the pressure going into the system is as close to spec as possible. With the S/C, I think they just spin at a rate relative to engine speed (?).

I think we are largely asking the same question. Basically, I want to know if the S/C gets us back up to "sea level"? I think your average turbo can just work harder to ensure the pressure going into the system is as close to spec as possible. With the S/C, I think they just spin at a rate relative to engine speed (?).
    to answer your question no. Your SC only moves based on engine RPM and pulley size/ratio. So your SC speed is fixed and only can compress less dense air at the given SC speed. So at sea level you will have more boost than at 5000 ft. You will always have more boost at sea level than at any greater elevation with a given SC speed/ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post
    boost is relative to ambient atmospheric pressure. Yes you will lose power similar to any other NA vehicle...
    Without knowing exactly how the engine management system measures pressure I'm uncertain, but L.Arizona's statement is my intuition. I hear claims similar to what MacBuster hears:"Turbo cars don't suffer altitude losses", but I've always been suspicious.

With the S/C, I think they just spin at a rate relative to engine speed (?).
    Spin is relative to engine speed yes, but the S/C can create excess boost which is regulated by the ECM, so it can merely "throw away" less boost at a given rpm (above the rpm at which excess is possible for the load). At least I think this is how it works. I may have some part of that wrong though...

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfrigginjones View Post
    Without knowing exactly how the engine management system measures pressure I'm uncertain, but L.Arizona's statement is my intuition. I hear claims similar to what MacBuster hears:"Turbo cars don't suffer altitude losses", but I've always been suspicious.

Spin is relative to engine speed yes, but the S/C can create excess boost which is regulated by the ECM, so it can merely "throw away" less boost at a given rpm (above the rpm at which excess is possible for the load). At least I think this is how it works. I may have some part of that wrong though...
    Some google-fu revealed this same discussion on the audi boards. Audis have S/Cs that produce more boost than is utilized. This boost is then dumped by a waste-gate to achieve the "target pressure" as specified by the engineers. As a result, at higher altitudes, this valve simply closes more, releasing less (relative) pressure, ensuring that the manifold pressure stays quite close to sea level. The Audi guys are saying they only lose about 0.5% power per 1000 feet of elevation, compared to 3% for a N/A car.

I have no idea if the V has a similar system.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

The SC belt ONLY drives that, nothing else. I had to drive mine a few weeks w/o it, and no issues at all. I never floored it though either, so I'm not sure if it run rich or lean at WOT. I also heard the 3%/1000' for NA cars a lot, and max 1% for SC cars.

Some google-fu revealed this same discussion on the audi boards. Audis have S/Cs that produce more boost than is utilized. This boost is then dumped by a waste-gate to achieve the "target pressure" as specified by the engineers. As a result, at higher altitudes, this valve simply closes more, releasing less (relative) pressure, ensuring that the manifold pressure stays quite close to sea level. The Audi guys are saying they only lose about 0.5% power per 1000 feet of elevation, compared to 3% for a N/A car.

Nice googlestyle. I think this makes sense. The V should experience altitude power loss through the low rpm only.

Quote Originally Posted by baabootoo View Post
    The SC belt ONLY drives that, nothing else. I had to drive mine a few weeks w/o it, and no issues at all. I never floored it though either, so I'm not sure if it run rich or lean at WOT. I also heard the 3%/1000' for NA cars a lot, and max 1% for SC cars.
    Good to know. Thanks

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

It should. TVS makes both the units for the LSA and the 3.0T.
    MacBuster and MacBuster like this.

The easiest way to come to understand this is no matter if your car is NA or FI, for the same set-up/mods you will always make more HP/TQ at a lower altitude. Density Altitude is a huge factor in performance.

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

in other words, the best 0-60 and performance times for any given CTS-V (or any other car with an internal combustion engine) will be attained in New Orleans or in Holland (or in a sub-sea level tunnel?), in cool weather (and proper tires for the temps).......

that is why DA (density altitude) is important when understanding 1/4 mile times.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.