Need opinions on cars with 18" wheels all around.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Need opinions on cars with 18" wheels all around. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I have read several posts about V owners using 18" rear wheels and a few using 18" front as well, ...
    Moparman4444 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Need opinions on cars with 18" wheels all around.

I have read several posts about V owners using 18" rear wheels and a few using 18" front as well, but could not find any opinions about:
    1. The differance in ride quality
    2. Cornering change
    3. over all feel
    4. Traction

In all honesty, 19" wheels with stock tires and 700hp doesn't work well on the street, so I'm going to 18" wheels. The problem is trying to find 18" rear and 19" front wheels that match. There are a few close matches but nothing exact.

As long as I was changing to a 305 stickier R compound rear tire, I figured that I might as well try 18" all the way around to improve the ride quality and have consistancy between the front and rear. BTW most of my driving is general Midwest street driving so tristy's arn't seen as often as I would like and improved ride confort would definately be a plus.

I appreciate your input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Need opinions on cars with 18" wheels all around.

Isn't anyone running 18" wheels all around?

mpouls1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '09 V 11.99@118mph, '11 Tahoe LTZ, '03 Silverado, '00 Jetta

only 18" I've seen is guys drag and tracking.

cruiser68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)

I run 18's for track days and it handles awesome with track tires and brakes. Can't compare to daily driving though so a useless statement

Low_ET is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, Thunder Gray, Auto

I used my 18" track wheels on the street for quite a while. The 275/40/18 have close to the same ride height with a little softer sidewall.

1. Ride: Overall, the ride is slightly softer (due to the taller sidewall) but a barely noticeable difference.
    2. Cornering: I use the same size tire all the way around so the biggest effect is that the car is easier to rotate in a corner (less understeer). Unless you are getting close to the limits on the street (hard to do) then you probably won't notice. If you do use 18" wheels, you will need to pump up the pressure to avoid tread buckling at the limits of the tires. I ruined a set of tires on the track learning that lesson. That is mostly relevant on the track.
    3. Feel: The steering is slightly less responsive. That is at least as much a function of the tire brand/model as the size.
    4. Overall: No single change is significant. There are several small changes in ride, steering, and cornering.

Low_ET

Thanks for the input. Thats just what I was looking for. Would you recomend thew change to anyone else running on the street?

Low_ET is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, Thunder Gray, Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Moparman4444 View Post
    Low_ET

Thanks for the input. Thats just what I was looking for. Would you recomend the change to anyone else running on the street?
    I considered selling my factory wheels and changing to 18" wheels just to be able to buy cheaper tires. The 19" PS2 tires are very expensive. I don't like the offset on my TSW Nurburgring wheels. The front tire sticks out much more than the rear (because I have the same wheel/tire all around). I like being able to rotate the tires. That is really my only complaint with running 18" wheels like I am on the street.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    18" PSSs are dirt cheap in comparison...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.