Whining Pump type noise??? 2012 CTS-V sedan
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Whining Pump type noise??? 2012 CTS-V sedan in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I started the car today to drive a few miles over to lunch and I got a new noise. It's ...
    quikag is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 White Diamond CTS-V Sedan, '10 Cyber Gray ZR1

Whining Pump type noise??? 2012 CTS-V sedan

I started the car today to drive a few miles over to lunch and I got a new noise. It's a loud pump whining type noise you can hear clearly inside the cabin. It almost sounds like feedback noise from the stereo. I turned off the stereo and AC and the noise was still there. On the way back from lunch, the noise was still there and I got out of the car with the engine running and the noise sounds like it's coming from somewhere near the front passenger wheel well area.

Any idea what this sound is? Fuel pump, maybe?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

Re: Whining Pump type noise??? 2012 CTS-V sedan

If you hear it when your are pressing firmly on the pedal on the right, it's the supercharger. We paid extra for that whine. If you really want to hear it, get an AirRaid intake...

Uh, come on, FLTRI. I've been on this board long enough to know better. I already have an Airaid and I am VERY familiar with the happy supercharger whine. This is a pump whine noise that is noticeable even at idle with the engine in park. It really sounds like a bad fuel pump or something like that. This noise started at lunch when I drove over. Never heard this noise before.

Anyway, dealership told me to bring it by AGAIN this afternoon. I still have that whirring/mechanical mesh type noise in the back of the car I think is a bearing or the diff. Dealership didn't fix it last time because the shop foreman "couldn't hear it". Also, they cleaned the hub for the front clicking noise and, of course, it's clicking again. This is getting a little annoying as I bought this car back in April and it only has 8k miles. No track or abusive mileage, just driving to and from work in DFW traffic, so it's not like I'm setting top speed records with this car. Even if I was, this is a $75k performance sedan and it should be able to take a few full throttle runs every single day for several years.

Dealership is getting me into a new XTS loaner, so at least I'll be able to check out the new CUE system.

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

Heh, just yanking your chain...

The fuel pump is in the gas tank I believe, so you can probably discount that. I'd get a mechanics stethoscope and see if I could pinpoint it. Then you can take it to the dealer and show them, exactly, what part is making the noise...

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

From the way your describing it, sounds like the power steering pump. Does it change at all when you move the steering around at a standstill?

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)

Quote Originally Posted by quikag View Post
    I started the car today to drive a few miles over to lunch and I got a new noise. It's a loud pump whining type noise you can hear clearly inside the cabin. It almost sounds like feedback noise from the stereo. I turned off the stereo and AC and the noise was still there. On the way back from lunch, the noise was still there and I got out of the car with the engine running and the noise sounds like it's coming from somewhere near the front passenger wheel well area.

Any idea what this sound is? Fuel pump, maybe?
    I started a thread about the same thing a while ago. Someone suggested it might be small fans cooling the electronics. Anyway, it isn't present all the time and has gone away since the weather has cooled slightly. I hear similar noise from the fan in my desktop computer, so the explanation sounds reasonable.

Jud
    Jud

Not power steering pump. Jud, you may be right because when I started it to drive to the dealer the bad pump type noise was gone. Oh well. I'm going to wait to go to the dealer until early next week for my other two issues as it's out of the way. Thanks for the suggestions all.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Quote Originally Posted by quikag
    Not power steering pump. Jud, you may be right because when I started it to drive to the dealer the bad pump type noise was gone. Oh well. I'm going to wait to go to the dealer until early next week for my other two issues as it's out of the way. Thanks for the suggestions all.
    Don't get too focused on minor noises. Enjoy the car for what it is. The supercharger noise corrupts the V-8 sound, but when the speedometer display is a blur, who cares? Seamless, controllable power is priceless. This is new "ultimate driving machine."

Jud
    Jud

I agree and am really happy with the V overall. The issues I've had are very minor in the grand scheme of things. The power is awesome for sure.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

I had a similar noise, but it was the cooled seats fan. Once off, no more noise. I noticed it especially when I leaned forward.

CTS NV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Anyone resolve this? I'm getting a very similar noise from the engine compartment -- I thought it was alternator whine through the speakers, it but happens even with the infotainment system off. Definitely coming from under the hood, and I'm sure it won't be there tomorrow.

DiamondWhtV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Coolant pump for the heat exchanger??

fastpharmd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Sedan

I have noticed this also, I believe it is the hard drive spinning, or possibly a small fan in the dash. Noise is present when any power to the dash (even with stereo off). Sounds just like a hard drive to me, but is barely noticeable above like 25mph.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quikag, I realize you're looking for advice from owners, so I just wanted to jump on this thread quickly to let you know I'm available via private message for further assistance. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you would like any help working with a dealer, checking for recalls, etc.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

cts-v ls6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

I have the same exact noise in my 2010 V2. The dealer diagnosed it as bad pulleys (i.e. bearings) in the idler and tensioner pulleys on the supercharger. Ironically these are not covered by the power train warranty. Price quoted to fix was somewhere between $650-700. I did not have fixed because they said they took off the belts, started the car, and with the supercharger not turning, the noise went away. Duh! What if it's the supercharger? No way to diagnose that if it's not turning.

Jack

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.