Auto to Manual need Opinion thinking of trading in
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Auto to Manual need Opinion thinking of trading in in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I know this is an old topic and i read all the old posts about this Topic but i have ...
    Jdani is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 cts- v

Auto to Manual need Opinion thinking of trading in

I know this is an old topic and i read all the old posts about this Topic but i have a question and would gladly apprecialte some opinions. So i Purchased a brand new 2012 Cadi v Sedan auto in January 2012 , i have 10k miles. at first i bought it as a daily driver and with the snow and the kids playing all kinds of sports i opted to buy an x5 for everyday use. I now use the V on nice days and maybe a few times a week i should say i basically split the time between the 2. Anyway now that i have a daily driver it kills me that i didnt get a manual tranny. Ive recently visited the dealr and actually considered trading it in for a 2013 exact car with manual. they want to give me about 50 grand for my car and the new one about 70 grand. This would be $20,000 For a manual tranny to me thats a little nuts. As crazy as i am i dont think this makes sense, now that im thinking about all this since i dont need a sedan anymore im thinking Coupe or maybe even vette (dont laugh) i know im all over the place but its driving me crazy. What would you do, keep the car and enjoy, trade, Sell, get completely different car, any ideas??? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Re: Auto to Manual need Opinion thinking of trading in

DO IT.

I did it. For the exact same reasons. The V became a weekend car, and the auto was borring as a weekend car.

cost me $3K up front. but I did it damnit!

Acutally what I did was the residual on the V had ~ a $9600 gap between that and a new car (that cost a bit less than my old one)

there was ~ a $6900 cost cap incentive from ally at the time for a trade-in on a new lease, that plus $3K in cash put me in the new (cheaper) car. without the roof, the $1300 gas guzzler or the $800 trim, minus taxes on that overall it was ~ $3500 cheaper overal

Mine had just under 10K miles, yours should not have deprecated that much if you're around there, but keep in mind, for some reason a light-switch flips once you pass into 5 digit mileage zone and the value tanks.

I'm not sure if you're leasing, loaning our own ouright, that's going to significantly alter your ability to get into another car. So is your ability to wait for more incentives. So is the fact that the 2013 may be the last MY for the V.

larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs

If money is an object NO WAY. If its purely 6M over a 6A for fun DO IT. The 6M is a pure joy to drive for fun.

Jdani is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 cts- v
    M5 eater I do have a loan in car but I'm not upside down I owe 50 and they will give me 50k. So at the end I the day if I put like 10 grand down payment stays the same but I add a year but atleast ill have what I want. I I don't put money down payment goes up too much. That will kill me. One other question I take it that u have no regrets?

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by Jdani View Post
    M5 eater I do have a loan in car but I'm not upside down I owe 50 and they will give me 50k. So at the end I the day if I put like 10 grand down payment stays the same but I add a year but atleast ill have what I want. I I don't put money down payment goes up too much. That will kill me. One other question I take it that u have no regrets?
    Regrets?

None really, except that I wish I had just bought one in the first place and avoid the 10K idiot tax.

the 6060 is a very good transmission.

If I had to point out something;

Maybe the clutch is a bit grabby off the line and/or when cold? As I haven't driven any other 550HP 4100lb vehicles though, I couldn't comment if it's normal with a dual-disc clutch/ lots of power and a heavy car..

after a few months I don't even really care.. even in stock trim the car is much more alive than the auto, and I swear it was louder(exhaust wise) too. With some Corsa sports, <3...

With the holidays comming I really think that if your can hold off on the mileage a bit and your payments are essentially paying off the depreciation/ that you should wait for some incentives to roll-around. There's always 3-5K worth of those around the corner.

The other thing to mention is that loaded 6MT vehicles are rare. You may need to serisouly consider that ordering your vehicle will be the only option. When me and my dealer went looking, most were base models/ even fewer were all optioned cars, and I don't think we ever found a 6MT /graphite rim/ yellow caliper V.

Much less one without a roof or wood trim, or even one in Opulent Blue.

pat2t2f is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Jdani,,,, have you considered putting it up for sale privately? If someone offers you more for it than the dealer is offering it might make the decision easier. Also, I don't know what state you are in but here in NY you don't have to pay sales tax on the trade in value of your car. That might give you about $4,000 off the new car.

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

$20K to row your own gears?!? Sorry, I couldn't justify that even if I was a very rich man, and I'm not...
    Tedboss1 and Tedboss1 like this.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Heres my advice. From the way your talking in your original post, money is not all that much of a factor and from the usage of the car it sounds like it is mainly a toy for you, so why not get the ultimate toy? Take your caddy to a chevy dealer and see how much they will give for on your V towards a ZR1 Vette. That is the ultimate sports car for the money. Chances are they'd perk up the offer on your car some, being the V will be kinda a novelty to have at a chevy dealer on the used car lot so they may give you like around 55K for the V. You could probably knock em down around 10 grand off the Vette sticker and get the car for around 110K, so you lay out 55K more and get the ultimate sports car with a manual. Anyhow, thats my way thinking. If you don't have that kinda cash, as Rosanna Danna use to say "Never Mind" Just sell your V outright for maybe 56K if you can and try and get a new manual coupe for around 66K, that way you'd only be on the hook for 10K more and have a better toy than what you have now.

Last suggestion, stick with what you got, do a corsa exhaust and drive it in the manual mode all the time. That way it will feel much more sporty because as the revs increased with delay'd shifts you'll be able to hear the motor a lot more with the Corsa and shifting it manually through the shifter (especially if you do a tune for faster and firmer shifts) it will make the car feel much better for the type of feeling you talk about you want to experience. This is the poor mans option so to speak. I went from the expensive option above to the mid expense option to the least. Just my 2 cents.

Trionalaw is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

I have a 2012 CTS-V coupe with the six speed manual. It is my daily driver unless there is snow. I live in Cincinnati and for whatever reason most drivers here think snow actually increases traction. I have been passed by 2 Wheel Dr. pickup trucks when I am going 20 and they are going at least 50! I am getting all season tires to run during the winter but for the snow days.

This is the best manual transmission I have ever had. And I have had three M3's . The E36 had a five speed manual, E46 the SMG and E90 a six speed manual. The CTS-V has much shorter throws. I also had a 2008 C6 Corvette with the six speed manual.I had to buy a short throw shifter for it.

One of my three favorite things in the world to do is drive a car with a manual transmission. I cannot imagine my car with an automatic transmission.I find the clutch excellent and have no problem in stop and go traffic. I would recommend the manual to anyone.

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

$70K for a car that you love and is exactly what you want....or $50K for a car that you regret buying?

Only you can answer that question.

Stillborn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 DW 4DR,AT,Recaros,metco 2.5,RX c-can,AEM-A/F, 634hp,642tq

have you tried sport mode and shifting manually to the point were all you're missing is a sore left calve? i agree a manual is more "organic" as far as
    the driving experience goes, and i've had my share of manual cars (14 to be exact) and i to was torn when i bought the v, but i have now had enough
    "seat time" to fully adjust (it's more mental than anything) and have just as much fun firing off paddle shifts at will, or bumping the fun club down low.
    sh*t, sometimes i downshift with the paddle (S2T) and up-shift with the club. try that with a manual, it can't be done. lol
    the thing with the auto is you need to learn how to modulate throttle input (via your right foot) and not drive it like an manual were you can adjust grip
    with the clutch. in any event i hope you find peace with your dilemma.

JFJr is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    It's not all about money. I spend a lot of time in my car. I believe that our cars reflect our personalities, good or bad. If you believe that then if money is not a real consideration, why not get what you want? Life is short. The accountant's approach to buying a high performance car is irrelevant. If it is you have to question if you are really a car guy, after all. We really are in the golden age of high performance cars.

Jud
    Jud

Mike02z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan Black Raven 6 speed manual

I say if you have the money and really want the stick, do it. There was no choice for me. If there was no manual V I would not own one.

MikeG-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '12 V
    Before I bought the V, I swore I would never ever get another stick. Now, I too am feeling somewhat the same.

At the risk of cheesing off a lot of people here (and my apologies to all the loyalists in this regard), have you thought of trading for a new Shelby GT500? Lower delta $ and more HP.

I know I've been thinking about it

Regards.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Well at least he didnt ask "how much would it be to convert a automatic car into a standard" That's always a fun question to answer.

I'd really think about my recommendation of a "Corsa exhaust, tune and shifting manually in sport mode" with these three things it will be like driving a different car and you might really grow to love this car and save yourself a boat load of money. You gotta think about taxes too. Some states allow for paying only the difference between trade in and new car, other states make you pay the whole tax regardless of trade, hard to believe but there are states like that out there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.