Auto to Manual need Opinion thinking of trading in - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Auto to Manual need Opinion thinking of trading in in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by JFJr It's not all about money. I spend a lot of time in my car. I believe ...
    larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs

Re: Auto to Manual need Opinion thinking of trading in

Quote Originally Posted by JFJr View Post
    It's not all about money. I spend a lot of time in my car. I believe that our cars reflect our personalities, good or bad. If you believe that then if money is not a real consideration, why not get what you want? Life is short. The accountant's approach to buying a high performance car is irrelevant. If it is you have to question if you are really a car guy, after all. We really are in the golden age of high performance cars.

Jud
    i agree. life is short, get the car that makes you happy. i originally would have settled for a 6a to make it easier for the wife to drive the v however i truly wanted a 6m. well i got the 6m and would not be happy with a 6a and low and behold the wife has no problem driving the 6m. 6m is my personality.

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automatic is the way to go. They might be a little boring, but they shift faster and you sacrifice only a little top end (the car will go faster than I will, auto or manual). Also, as has been pointed out, the auto can be manually shifted via the gear shift in the console or the paddles on the back of the steering wheel. Also, as been pointed out over and over, there is the question of the extra money that switching to a manual will cost. I assume that you know that the auto in auto and non-sport mode starts off in second gear. This can be avoided by switching to sporting mode and remaining in auto mode. I have a 2009 CTS-V Sedan and my wife has a 2013 CTS-V Coupe. They are both automatic. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Jdani is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 cts- v
    Thank you all for great suggestions. its amazing how you can relate. If I ran this by everyday people they really would think I lost my mind. Still not sure what to do I will have to sleep on it a bit. I wonder I it's something that will pass. I don't think so though. Maybe I should give it some time and try to enjoy. The worst thing I did was drive tht stick. Maybe I should consider the Corza exhaust an tuning. Ill keep u posted thanks again

1997BlackETC is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

For now just try driving it in sport mode all the time, as was pointed out at least that way you are starting out in first gear, when in non sport mode the car can feel kinda sluggish off the line as it is starting out in 2nd.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG-V View Post
    Before I bought the V, I swore I would never ever get another stick. Now, I too am feeling somewhat the same.

At the risk of cheesing off a lot of people here (and my apologies to all the loyalists in this regard), have you thought of trading for a new Shelby GT500? Lower delta $ and more HP.

I know I've been thinking about it

Regards.
    I don't think anyone here will argue with that facit.

The new shelby looks good, sounds good, and well.. it *is* good.

but so is the ZL1 >_>

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC
    For now just try driving it in sport mode all the time, as was pointed out at least that way you are starting out in first gear, when in non sport mode the car can feel kinda sluggish off the line as it is starting out in 2nd.
    Well, drive that auto any way it can be driven, and then decide. If you still don't like it, go for what you want. That's why we have choices. If you like to drag race a luxury car, then the auto is very slightly quicker to 0-60, if that is important. If you like higher top end if you road race, and /or like more connection with the car regardless of racing or not, the manual is better. Both transmissions are good for what they are. The manual guys love the setup; a lot of the auto guys on this forum immediately think about tunes and mods to get where they want to be. Why is that? Great car in any event.

Jud
    Jud

Bubba Ho-Tep is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe

Why does the manual have better top end?

FSTMRFR is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 V coupe
    Or find an unpurchased new... 2012 coupe with a manual.... Saving a few jems from the 13 sort of splits the difference... In the meanwhile take the car to carmax, see if they give u a more premium buck for it... Or advertise locally/semi local... Put it at a moderate price that sells quickly for a private consumer but makes u more than dealer offers u......

----------

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG-V
    Before I bought the V, I swore I would never ever get another stick. Now, I too am feeling somewhat the same.

At the risk of cheesing off a lot of people here (and my apologies to all the loyalists in this regard), have you thought of trading for a new Shelby GT500? Lower delta $ and more HP.

I know I've been thinking about it

Regards.
    But they weigh more than a v coupe.... I am die hard ford guy (I own a 04 mystichrome cobra twin turbo making 988rwhp though an auto).... I contemplated a 500, it's over done.... Also considered a GT-R.... Finalized with luxury and performance...now I own a v coupe manual.... The 500 is not a forgiving car.... Machine made to run fast and some shit to make it look like its worth the pennies u spent on it.... If u want a racecar, meaning...not many creature comforts,then the 500 is the way to go.... If u want the best of both worlds then u are already there.... Just need to fine tune ur particulars..... Good luck.... Hope this helps u out....

ClarkkentCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Thunder gray CTS V

Drive an A6 with a transmission tune and paddle shifters. It is night and day difference. My shifts are fast and firm. It will also rev match when down shifting in manual mode. I have owned many manual cars and had an M3 with SMG Transmission and can honestly tell you I love the way my V drives with the setup I have.
    I can pull up to a nice function and not worry about stalling out with the clutch. I can then leave the event and switch over to manual mode and rip it up. The A6 is very versatile it allows you to drive like a caddy, but can get more involved if you want it to. Either way its a choice you have to make. Good luck

Jdani is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 cts- v
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkkentCTSV
    Drive an A6 with a transmission tune and paddle shifters. It is night and day difference. My shifts are fast and firm. It will also rev match when down shifting in manual mode. I have owned many manual cars and had an M3 with SMG Transmission and can honestly tell you I love the was my V drives with the setup I have.
    I can pull up to a nice function and not worry about stalling out with the clutch. I can then leave the event and switch over to manual mode and rip it up. The A6 is very versatile it allows you to drive like a caddy, but can get more involved if you want it to. Either way its a choice you have to make. Good luck
    I like this way of looking at it... Plus it will save me lots of money.... Where do I get info on having this tranny tuned??

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Ho-Tep View Post
    Why does the manual have better top end?
    less drivetrain loss, and it's ~ 100lbs lighter= more power to the wheels = goes a bit faster in theory, the TR6060's 5th and 6th gear ratios are also slightly shorter. The advantage is slightly-offset by the fact that the auto still shifts quicker, but the 6MT typically makes 30-40hp more than auto's. The advantage roll-racing at highways speeds goes to the manual where you're not bogging off the line or worrying about pedal modulation ultimately, and if you're 'one of those people' that road-races into stupid-scary speeds down in mexico or out in russia, there's the limiter thing.

Most people are not, so, whatever it's really marginal I would say without seeing an A6 and a 6MT go head-to head.

I like this way of looking at it... Plus it will save me lots of money.... Where do I get info on having this tranny tuned??
    depends on where you live. Otherwise if you want to just mail-order tune it, any one of the vendors on here could help you out.

larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs

Thought the A6 was limited to 175MPH because the there was something in the tranny that will let go at higher speeds???

Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post
    Thought the A6 was limited to 175MPH because the there was something in the tranny that will let go at higher speeds???
    For sustained high-speeds yes.

I've heard that the clutch-basket needs to be reinforced, and there's a rear outputshaft bearing that does not get enough lubrication.

You can probably get away with texas-mile runs and things of that nature, I'm sure there are a few A6 people out there that already do this. There's never enough info about what they changed (if anything) in their trans to run that fast, or if they're just crossing their fingers and wearing adult diapers waiting for the trans to blow up @ 180mph.

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

In my opinion, there is nothing you can do to the automatic transmission that will sate the desire for a proper 6-speed manual. You can make it shift faster, you can use the shift buttons on the steering wheel, but if you want to shift the car manually with 3 pedals on the floor, there is no replacement for the 6M. This isn't an argument against the automatic, it's an argument against the idea that the automatic, no matter how good it is, will satisfy somebody who wants a manual. It won't.

And that's what it boils down to. If you want a manual, then nothing else will do. None of us can tell you which one will make you happier or if you could live with the auto and be satisfied after tuning it and running in sport mode, only you can answer that. I'm just saying that if you want to shift the car manually with a stick and 3 pedals on the floor, there is no automatic transmission on the planet that can satisfy that need.

I think honestly the only way you can make a decision that you will truly be happy with is to wrangle a test drive in a 6M V. Or maybe somebody in your area will let you drive theirs. If you can get a drive in somebody's 6A with a tune, that will probably also help. You may decide that a tuned 6A livens it up enough that you don't need a manual after all, and problem solved. But regardless, it's my opinion, and my personal philosophy, that you shouldn't compromise if it doesn't make you happy.
    Karch and Karch like this.

In my opinion, there is nothing you can do to the automatic transmission that will sate the desire for a proper 6-speed manual. You can make it shift faster, you can use the shift buttons on the steering wheel, but if you want to shift the car manually with 3 pedals on the floor, there is no replacement for the 6M. This isn't an argument against the automatic, it's an argument against the idea that the automatic, no matter how good it is, will satisfy somebody who wants a manual. It won't.
    agreed.

The agrument being made that you can 'improve' the 6AT by making it shift faster is irrelevent. It sounds good in theory, that it somehow makes it more exciting, but I ultimately concluded it can not for what I wanted.

I wanted a 6MT because it's a manual. I already knew it shifted slower to begin with. Rowing gears, listening to backfire, throwing it in neutral to coast down, going from 1st to 4th to save some gas, rolling backwards up hills, throwing caution to the wind and doing some burn-outs knowing all it'll set me back is a clutch at worst or any other associated aftermarket possibilities which are limitless with the 6060..

That's why I bought the Manual. Not because the Automatic was infuriatingly slow. It was becuase it sucked the soul out of the car in my opinion, and when you have a 550hp car that you putz around in on public roads most of the time or as a weekend car, you need all the soul you can get. Driving around super-cars for no more than 4 seconds at a time for fear of inprisonment gets boring unless those 4 seconds are amazing.

truthfully, and I've said this many times now, but I prefered my slower car's for total driving enjoyment value. I've seriously considered a few times now getting rid of the V and picking up a worse car. Something that's not quite as fast and I can enjoy for more than 4 seconds, or something that's not quite so complete and takes some tinkering, I don't know. It's an odd feeling, I bought a new car because I was sick of the Audi being on jack stands. Now I wish I could have that back, all I do now is wash,polish and worry about which $20 plastic fitting I'm using on my catch can.

damn you car! why won't you just break!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.