Soft high frequency hum after shutting off car
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 4 Post By STL09 V
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Soft high frequency hum after shutting off car in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Occasionally when I shut off my car after driving around, get out, close the door, I hear a very soft ...
    carterb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS,DI gray,prem (sold); 2012 CTS-V sedan, gray, auto

Soft high frequency hum after shutting off car

Occasionally when I shut off my car after driving around, get out, close the door, I hear a very soft high frequency hum under the hood that stays on. When this happens, I usually get back in, restart the car, then turn it back off, and it usually resets with no hum. It is starting to do this more often - and I'm starting to listen for it more. Does anyone know what this might be? Would this potentially drain down my battery if I or my wife didn't catch it? This sound is relatively hard to hear - I can hear it in the garage though. Don't know if I would hear this out in a parking lot. The interior lights and everything else seem to shut off ok. No codes.

Any ideas ?

Carter

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Soft high frequency hum after shutting off car

The hum might be the fans that provide cooling continuing to run. They will do that if the engine temperature is above a certain point at shut down.

carterb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS,DI gray,prem (sold); 2012 CTS-V sedan, gray, auto

I am sure it is not the fans. It is the hum that sounds like when the headlights are on temporarily before they shut off.

STL09 V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V sedan

It's your intercooler pump. Next time you hear it, pop the hood and look at the res. you will see fluid moving.
    M5eater, M5eater, McGuffy and 1 others like this.

jzchen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '85 Sedan de Ville, '10 CTS-V

I think I hear what you describe every once in a while. I think it has to do with opening and closing the doors and maybe even the trunk. (I don't use the car often.) I chalk it up to electronic noise, possibly from the proximity system for the keyless access system.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by STL09 V View Post
    It's your intercooler pump. Next time you hear it, pop the hood and look at the res. you will see fluid moving.
    That would make the most sense, but I really don't understand why the pump would run after the car is shut-off. What difference does it make?

The afterun pump on the B5 S4 I had circulated coolant throughout the entire engine system, but that was to ensure the turbo's didn't cook the oil.

The only thing an afterun pump cycle on a supercharged car would do is cool-off the intercooler a bit. The rest of the aluminum is so hot that I'm not sure it would make a difference for cooling off the screws or anything of that nature either. The 10-15 degree drop of the I/C brick above the screws probably isn't going to overcome 190 degree aluminum block and heads surroudning the screws, or do anything really.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

carterb,

If you continue to be concerned about this and decide to get this checked out by your dealership, please let us know as we're available to assist in that process as much as we can. We can be contacted either by private message or by email (katie_lucille@gm.com) - please include your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN.

Sarah (Assisting Katie), GM Customer Service

STL09 V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V sedan

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    That would make the most sense, but I really don't understand why the pump would run after the car is shut-off. What difference does it make?

The afterun pump on the B5 S4 I had circulated coolant throughout the entire engine system, but that was to ensure the turbo's didn't cook the oil.

The only thing an afterun pump cycle on a supercharged car would do is cool-off the intercooler a bit. The rest of the aluminum is so hot that I'm not sure it would make a difference for cooling off the screws or anything of that nature either. The 10-15 degree drop of the I/C brick above the screws probably isn't going to overcome 190 degree aluminum block and heads surroudning the screws, or do anything really.
    I hear ya. I just know my does it and its the intercooler pump. If it hot where you are, next time you drive and turn off the V pop the hood and take a look.

SecretWeapon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Sedan, M6, Silver/Ebony

Intercooler pump.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.