Looking for advice
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Looking for advice in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; SO i bought a 2010 with 42k miles on it for 42k about a month ago. The guy emailed me ...
    mrkool is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, Harley VROD (Night Rod)

Looking for advice

SO i bought a 2010 with 42k miles on it for 42k about a month ago. The guy emailed me a copy of carfax and everything in the carfax looked ok. So i bought the car. Today i took the car to the dealer ship and he said that car hoods was painted i thought this guy does not know what he is talking about but it put a bug in my ear so i ran a carfax report and it looks like the car was in a Front impact accident. The airbags did not deploy though but the guy altered the carfax report when he emailed it to me and did not mention anything about an accident through out the process. Now the car is registered under my name and i will be contacting a lawyer and i think because of the email i have i might be able to prove that he intended to commit fraud from the beginning. What do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

V locity is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan A6, 730 RWHP Stock airbox & stock exst

Re: Looking for advice

Sue the Funker. Fraud is inexcusable

simgolfer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V sedan, manual, silver/ebony, airaid, SW catback
    Altering the carfax is proof of the fraud. Have him take back the car and give you all the money and associated costs. If you bought it from another state, the may be some federal crime to be invoked.

tkracing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 cts-v coupe

Did you ask him if the car had ever been in an accident? Check the date it was reported and the date on his Carfax. Maybe he sold it before it was reported? Carfax isn't accurate and most of the time won't tell you anything about accidents. Gives you ownership change, odometer inconsistencies, salvage and if your lucky you get an accident report. I am not a lawyer but would think it would be tough to prove. Always best to have your mechanic check it over before you purchase. Hope all works out for you.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

^^^^^*
    The seller altered the Carfax and the OP obtained the Carfax after purchase. Unless, as you say, the accident was reported after the first Carfax was done, there is indeed fraud. I usually check a Carfax AND an Autocheck in cars I am seriously considering. They each have slightly different sources and so an incident reported on one may not be on the other. Nothing, though, trumps a paid inspection, even and especially on an out of town purchase.

pat2t2f is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    How do you know the carfax report was altered. If there is proof of that I think you are in good shape. If you only think it was altered because the accident isn't on there that might be different. How much damage was there? If it's just the hood it might not be worth the effort. If there was structural damage thats different. Good luck

the report says
    02/28/2012 Virginia
    Damage Report Accident reported
    Involving front impact
    It hit a motor vehicle
    Airbags did not deploy

----------

the reason why i say altered is the carfax he sent me was up till june of 2012 and the accident happened in Feburary and it did not list it. The carfax did have stuff before and after the accident in his report it is just missing the accident part

OldRoadDawg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Establishing intent to defraud in the court system can be a difficult hurdle to get over.
    What is your final objective? What kind of an outcome are you looking for?

I want to get at least 5k back from the guy

larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs

the impact was less than 23 mph and or greater than a 30 degree angle, both are airbag thresholds for deployment in a frontal impact. but the side and curtain airbags would have deployed if greater than a 30 degree angle impact. so likely a minor accident that got the front cover grill and hood and headlights. i would not stress about it if the repair looks good. inspect the front structure to see if the radiator support looks clean and straight. hood and front cover repair repaint is common.

McGuffy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe

Definitely shady on the part of the seller, but you'll have a tough time doing anything legally based solely on the altered CarFax - you'd have to prove that he knowingly altered the original with the intent to defraud you, and unless he signed an affidavit certifying the original copy, I don't think that will happen. You could report him to CarFax though; their agreement may include some wording that could make him liable to them. Caveat emptor I'm afraid, but I agree that if there was no airbag deployment, the damage was likely largely cosmetic.

Mike02z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan Black Raven 6 speed manual

It typically takes 3 months for an accident to hit Car Fax. I agree the previous owner should have declared the accident to you but if all you asked for was a Car Fax, it may not have been doctored when he ran it. If you asked if it was in any accidents and he lied, that is unethical. Not defending anyone for not providing full disclosure after an accident. But then again, if you drive you car like a maniac all the time would you tell the person you were selling it to? Just curious. I probably would not.

Is the car running good and looking good? Was it repaired properly? If so, I'd just enjoy it not get all stressed out. Life is too short and you have a great car. Just my opinion.

The annoying part is that he is a rich ******* His house is worth 2.5Million according to Zillow and he owns like three businesses bestwaymarket.com M&T distributors and something else as well. Name is Michael Choi and the stupid ass will not even respond to my messages to tell me how much damage was repaired. I may not have a case but one thing i have learnt in USA is case does not matter what matters is who is your Lawyer. I have a Doctor Cousin who is in 1% i told him and he is getting me in touch with his lawyer lets see what the guy says when he gets a letter from one of the Top law firms in the USA.

Just so any one who is following this thread as i dont know the extent of the dmage i have decided to take a hit on my current car and trade it in for a 2012.

Mike02z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan Black Raven 6 speed manual

Did you ask him if the car was ever in an accident?

In my mind, if he lied, this is the only potential legal claim you might have. Even then, who is to say the car was not hit before he bought it? As I said, takes a while to hit Car Fax. Sounds fishy but from a legal perspective, tough to prove.If you did not ask, I think your SOL.

Did you only ask to see the Car Fax?

If so, and he did not fake it, I think you don't have a strong case here either but I'm no lawyer.

You also never answered the question as to whether the car appears to be right or if you can easily tell it was an an accident?

Sucks that this happened either way. Good luck man.

Actually the car looks beautiful. I could not tell that the hood and the fenders were new the color matched perfectly but i took the car to multiple dealerships and all the dealers could tell right away that the whole front was repainted.

I always ask if the car was in an accident i did ask him over the phone and that is when he said no and i asked him if he had a carfax and he said yes and sent me a copy via email.

He was the first owner of the car so he definitely knew about the accident.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.