annoying chimes and signals
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, annoying chimes and signals in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I've had the vagon for a couple of months - a truly perfect car except for some annoying restrictions as ...
    vagondr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 CTS-V wagon WD graphite 6MT Corsa Sports

annoying chimes and signals

I've had the vagon for a couple of months - a truly perfect car except for some annoying restrictions as to when you can perform some operations and performing fucntions automatically, which I could do myself. Not a big deal as I can deactivate some. I do wonder what it's trying to tell me when I leave the car and the horn beeps 3 times - turning heads. I just shrug my shoulders because I just don't know what it means. Also there's a continuous chime when the door is open and I sometimes want to sit in the car with a door open. I always have the fob in my pocket so it's not saying you're leaving the key in the car and the lights are off. What makes it more confusing is that it doesn't happen all the time and the horn may blow when a passenger exits. Sometimes the chime stops if I close and then reopen the door. The dealer said it's telling you the car is locking itself but it isn't. The owner's manual says nothing. I'd like to deactivate it, and can I stop the doors from automatically locking?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mike02z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan Black Raven 6 speed manual

Re: annoying chimes and signals

I thought the 3 horn beeps means you left your fob in the car after exiting but I have had the same problem when my fob was in my pocket and I got out and closed the door. I agree the door chime is annoying as I often want to rip music to the HD in my garage with the door open but need to close it as the continual chimes get annoying. I think you can change the auto lock but I actually like the feature

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

You sure your turning the fake key on the column off all the way? That would make it do what your talking about. I don't think think there is anyway to defeat the door open chime.

One thing that really bothered me with the 2012 was the way the interior lights would turn on after I shut off the engine while just sitting in the car, I'd pull up in front of someones house and turn off the key to listen to the radio and there the interior light was glaring on my head. Then it would slowly turn off and then about 5 minutes later it would come back on automatically as I was sitting there. That drove me bonkers. I felt like it was a interegation interior light or something allowing people to identify who was sitting in the car in the dark, I felt like ripping out the dome light.

Maybe when the fob battery gets weaker the car will know it's outside. What do the chimes mean?

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

That's true too, maybe he has a bad battery in the FOB, even though the car is new, the battery in the FOB could still be bad, ya never know may have been a battery that was on the shelf a while before it was installed in the FOB at the factory. Maybe try using your other FOB and see it the car still does it.

Crystal Red CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V CRM Coupe (Airaid Intake & Corsa), 2011 Z06/Z07

Both my V and Z06 can do this if I get out of the car with the FOB in my pocket and the signal from the FOB is strong enough to fool the receiver into thinking that the FOB is still in the car - beeping the horn three times. Whenever this happens and the door is opened again, the key chime will go off by default as the car thinks that the FOB is still in the car. Sometimes stepping back from the car while closing the door prevents this.

Food for thought. Try different fobs and fool with the ignition switch. Still wondering what the chimes are saying with the open door

quikag is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 White Diamond CTS-V Sedan, '10 Cyber Gray ZR1

Are you SURE your spare key isn't being left in the car?

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Vagondr, how is the troubleshooting going? I see you received a lot of helpful suggestions yesterday, and I wanted to jump in to post the information I found on the subject in your owners manual (page 2-15).

"Delayed Locking
    With this feature, you can delay the
    actual locking of the doors.
    When the power door lock switch is
    pressed when the key is not in the
    ignition and the driver door is
    opened, a chime will sound three
    times
    indicating that delayed locking
    is active.
    When all the doors are closed, the
    doors will lock automatically after
    five seconds. If a door is reopened
    before five seconds have elapsed,
    the five second timer will reset itself
    once all the doors are closed again.
    You can press the door lock switch
    again or the lock button on the RKE
    transmitter to override this feature
    and lock the doors immediately.

Automatic Door Locks
    For vehicles with an automatic
    transmission, the doors will lock
    automatically when all doors are
    closed, the ignition is on, and the
    shift lever is moved out of P (Park).
    The doors will automatically unlock
    when the vehicle is stopped and the
    shift lever is moved into P (Park).
    For vehicles with a manual
    transmission, the doors will lock
    automatically after the vehicle
    speed reaches 8 km/h (5 mph). The
    doors will automatically unlock when
    the key is turned off and removed
    from the ignition.
    Use the manual or power door locks
    to unlock the doors if someone
    needs to exit, and to lock the doors
    again.
    The power door locks can be
    programmed through the Driver
    Information Center (DIC). See
    Vehicle Personalization on
    page 5‑45."

If you're continuing to have frustrations, please let us know!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

mannyz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS(Sold) Black 09 V

Yea. I dont understand why it chimes soooo much when in accessory mode. You have to turn the car to ON and leave it there but that drains the battery quicker.

RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

^^^^ - Hey mods - the bot is back!

Rob

hulksdaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): <-----"Hulk" 2000-2012...He will always be missed :-(

Pretty sure this is how Skynet gets started.

I did some experimenting. I conclude that the honking says the fob is in the car when the door is closed and the chime gives the same message when the door is opened unless it's a driver door ajar warning. The chime doesn't sound for any but the driver door. Neither the horn or chime sound, most of the time, if no fob is present. Problem - sometimes it do and sometimes it don't. I often exit with the fob in my pocket and the horn sounds and I can make it sound if I hold it near the window. I think it's too sensitive with a fresh battery so I'll try to stand back when closing the door. I like the car turning heads but not by honking at people. What is a bit confusing is that the honking is only sometimes initiated when I close the door while seated in the car with the fob and I had it started honking once when a passenger exited with me and fob 10 feet away. I store a door key in a small vault behind the license plate and a fob, without a battery which is stored separately, buried deep under a spare tire kit, so I can always operate the car without depending on OnStar. Unless it has some chip I don't imagine that disabled fob could have an effect, as I repeat it has no battery. I was hoping never having to dig it out. It is rare for the horn sounding with no active fob present anyhow. I'd like more control of the headlights, interior lighting, door locking and unlocking, nav screen movement and these audible signals, but these are minor annoyances. At least the car doesn't drive itself and I pick the gears. When I start her up(twisting the headlight lever to disable the auto headlights and running lights of course) and the gauges jump, those Corsa muffs roar - all is well.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Vagondr, thank you for the follow up. I'm documenting your experimenting observations, feedback, and am on hand if you would like me to call a dealer to gather additional information for you at any point in the process.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

dennych is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.