Another differential replacement.....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Another differential replacement..... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Took the V into local dealer and asked them to check for a 'dry bearing' sound coming from the right ...
    mrk4543 is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Black Diamond Coupe; 2008 ZO6 Corvette

Another differential replacement.....

Took the V into local dealer and asked them to check for a
    'dry bearing' sound coming from the right rear of the car. (I asked this to be done several months ago but they couldn't replicate). Anyway, the tech finally heard the noise and ordered a new rear hub for the left rear side....Service writer called today...not the hub but the differential. They ordered a new one and car should be ready tomorrow.

The car is still a totally stock automatic car still under warranty, 16,000 miles and 14 months old....first diff was replaced last January at 5,400 miles. Rather frustrating....car is not abused whatsoever....going to try to find out exactly what failed in the diff......

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

Re: Another differential replacement.....

That sucks, been there before. But did they change the oil in the diff they replaced?

To my knowledge, no.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hey mrk4543,

We hope that all goes well with the replacement of the differential. If there's anything you would like for us to check into, please don't hesitate to contact us via either private message or by email at katie_lucille@gmexpert.com (include your name, contact information, and the last 8 of your VIN).

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

The initial diagnosis from the dealer was a bearing in the left rear hub....they replaced that and the noise was still there (I was hearing the noise from the right rear side of the car but what do I know). Replacing the left hub didn't cure the problem so then they decided it was the diff again. It was replaced and noise is gone. I am trying to find out what is causing the problem...no reply yet. When the first diff went south, I found out somewhere, and I can't locate the thread, that some of the cars were produced between January, 2011 and March, 2011 were the problem children as the supplier had a problem. Supposedly, after those dates, there were no issues.

smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

Not likely. These diff's are at a warehouse collecting dust. So they are probably the same ones that were installed in 2010 and 2011. Supposedly the problem is the oil level/lack of additive.

Buzduz74 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Had 3 new full rears and bearings put in my 2009 !!!!!!!!!! Now have a 2013 V Wagon I guess I love punishment

Hey there Buzzman....I wrote to Cadillac Customer Service about this issue. Wonder what the reply will be? By the way, I am the one that wrote to you on FB about your driver's license #...small world, eh?

Marty

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Maybe these Diff's are just under engineered for the 556hp and torque of the V? I'm starting to wonder. The 2012 I had had noise that was progressively getting worse with low mileage. It was starting to remind me of some of the older cars I use to drive with over 100k miles that made noises like this. I never abused the car at all either. I'm just hopeful the 2013 I have on order does not make noise. The first 1000 miles or so my 2012 was quiet, but after that it got worse and worse. I had the dealer change the oil around 2000 miles or so, but it did nothing in quieting down the noise. The oil level was fine in the original fill, we checked it first, so I know that was not the problem.

I wish I could find the original link that I posted on....I think it had the TSB number in it....when the noise first became real annoying in mine, the first time, the car had about 5,000 miles. I printed out the forum comments and took them and the car to the dealer...they could hear the whine. First they thought it was the tires, then a hub...after four days of screwing around with it, they determined that it was the diff. Replaced same and it has been fine...until now.

Try a search on the forum and see what you can find....gotta be the differential. For what it is worth, my car is a 2011, automatic and has never been abused....

Marty

allinmyhead is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Ugh, not excited to hear this. Just had mine replaced at 5300 miles. Stock - auto.

teacherj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS - V

Have had my 2012 V diff replaced twice. First go round at 3K km and second at 17K km, that's about 2k mi and 11K mi. Anyone know what is going on with these? Car has never been driven hard at all. Dealer(s) don't seem to care at all, just swap it out. No response to my inquiries.

dons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V Coupe, 2007 Escalade ESV

Quote Originally Posted by mrk4543 View Post
    Took the V into local dealer and asked them to check for a
    'dry bearing' sound coming from the right rear of the car. (I asked this to be done several months ago but they couldn't replicate). Anyway, the tech finally heard the noise and ordered a new rear hub for the left rear side....Service writer called today...not the hub but the differential. They ordered a new one and car should be ready tomorrow.

The car is still a totally stock automatic car still under warranty, 16,000 miles and 14 months old....first diff was replaced last January at 5,400 miles. Rather frustrating....car is not abused whatsoever....going to try to find out exactly what failed in the diff......
    I had a 2009 CTS v and raced it all of the time with no rear end problems at all. Sold it and just recently purchased a 2011 V coupe with 15,000 miles on it. When I test drove it I noticed a noise I thought was just road noise from the tires. I have driven it around 2,000 since purchase and just recently installed new tires, thinking that would solve the noise. But I was wrong, as noise continued, so took it to Cadillac dealer two days ago, and got it back today with a new differential.

dennych is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

Interesting....

I sure hope they find a more robust solution than just replacing it in the future. Giving me second thoughts about pulling the trigger as it seems to be a fundamental problem shared by most people. I find it odd I never read about this in Car and Driver's long term test which went up to 40k miles

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.