Another fix from GM for clicking wheels
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Another fix from GM for clicking wheels in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; There is a new TSB out yesterday for the clicking wheels. No longer replacing rotors with 2 piece, instead back ...
    flatrockguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Raven V Sedan, M6, Graphite Rims, Yellow Brembos

Another fix from GM for clicking wheels

There is a new TSB out yesterday for the clicking wheels. No longer replacing rotors with 2 piece, instead back to cleaning and using a different lugnut. here is the document.

#PIC5136K: Clicking Noise From Front Wheels - (Aug 28, 2012)
    Subject:
    Clicking Noise From Front Wheels

Models: 2009 - 2012 Cadillac CTS-V

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

A customer may comment on a clicking noise emanating from the front wheels. This condition is noticed at low speed (walking speed) during full wheel lock turns on dry clean pavement (Full lock parking lot maneuver). The clicking noise is generally noted as approximately 1 to 4 "clicks" per wheel revolution.
    The CTS-V has lightweight high performance front rotors with an aluminum center. The clicking sound is caused by interaction between the wheel mounting face and wheel mounting surface on the brake rotor caused by the aluminum-to-aluminum interface.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Note: Do NOT replace the Front wheel or brake rotor for the clicking condition (The new brake rotors that were being installed previously for this condition should no longer be installed. The procedure to use now is cleaning and replacing the wheel nuts as described below.)
    Procedure:
    1. Remove wheel
    2. Clean wheel as follows:
    Use clean cloth dampened with GM Brake Parts Cleaner 12378556 or equivalent. b) Wipe the mounting surface of the wheel to remove any residual grey or black material that has accumulated on the wheel mounting surface. Be careful not to use the Brake Cleaner on the painted or clear coated surfaces of the wheel. It is also helpful to use a Scotch-Brite Cleaning Pad to aid in cleaning. Be sure NOT to use the scotch pads (Roloc disc) on the aluminum material. All cleaning MUST be done by hand, do NOT use ANY air or power tools!
    3. Clean the rotor top hat as follows: a) Use clean cloth dampened with GM Brake Parts Cleaner 12378392 or equivalent. b) Clean the wheel mounting surface of the rotor (rotor top hat) to remove any residual grey or black material that has accumulated on the rotor. During the cleaning process be sure to clean the rotor near the wheel pilot at the center of the rotor. It is also helpful to use a Scotch-Brite Cleaning Pad to aid in cleaning. Be sure to NOT use scotch pads (Roloc discs) on the aluminum material. All cleaning MUST be done by hand, do NOT use ANY air or power tools!

Note: Be sure to thoroughly dry the wheel and rotor prior to installation on vehicle.
    4. Reinstall wheels using replacement wheel nuts with P/N 9598179 (front wheels only, so need qty. 10 for this repair) (these can be identified with a blue color on the inboard conical portion of the nut (see pic) and torque them to 150 Nm (110 lb ft).

Note: If a car had the 2-piece rotors installed (Part number 20795300 & 20795302) prior to the release of these "blue cone" wheel nuts and has a repeat wheel click concern, perform this cleaning procedure, replace the wheel nuts with the new blue cone nuts, and torque to specs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PeteK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon, 1972 Eldorado Convertible

Re: Another fix from GM for clicking wheels

Well, while I like the idea of the 2-piece rotors for free, as I'm hoping to get to the track soon, mine started clicking after a few hundred miles, as opposed to about 8000 on the original one-piece rotors, so I'm willing to try again.

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Damn, I missed the rotors!!!

Torxila is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1 of 1 Evo Green Coupe 6m, with RB9

Just got my rotors last week...boooyah!

OldRoadDawg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by flatrockguy View Post
    ...and torque them to 150 Nm (110 lb ft).
    ... interesting, considering the specs originally called for 140 lbs and the first TSB 'attempt' increased the torque to 158 lbs.

Pphilthy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I have an appointment for Friday to address this issue - looks like I'm missing out on the two piece front rotors by a couple of days... As long as the issue is resolved, I'm all good...

Almondted is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crystal Red, cts-v, fully loaded

WOW, got mine just in time and no click since the rotors where replaced...

baabootoo is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Quote Originally Posted by cdog533 View Post
    Damn, I missed the rotors!!!
    Ditto brother!

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Darn, me too, missed the new Rotors, got my car a couple months ago new and just hit 4k miles, the wheels started to click around 400 miles ago.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    I'm happy I got mine but something about this whole thing makes no sense. You mean to tell me that GM got to the point where they felt changing rotors was the solution and now we are digressing to a lug nut swap?? Hmmm.
    jft69z and jft69z like this.

jft69z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '11 V-Coupe Blk 6M, '69 Black Z-28/RS 454-5 spd, '13 Blk ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed View Post
    I'm happy I got mine but something about this whole thing makes no sense. You mean to tell me that GM got to the point where they felt changing rotors was the solution and now we are digressing to a lug nut swap?? Hmmm.
    Yeah, something is fishy here. They must have figured out that lug nuts are a lot cheaper than new rotors.....

allinmyhead is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'm sure it's simply that they under estimated the number of rotors that they were going to have to replace under warranty. After the deluge of $600+ warranty fixes in the last 30 days they backed off of it.

Or they ran out of stock?

Pphilthy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Well, whatever they do, they need to find a long term fix... Wondering if anyone has submitted a lemon law claim for this issue or if it's even applicable...

67 mobill 442 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V Cpe (Blk), '67 Olds 442 'vert, '02 Olds Aurora

Wowwww, I got my rotor's replaced about 2 weeks ago. At about 1700 miles. No more clicking. I took the TSB in and gave it to the service writer. Boy did I get lucky. Yeaaa!

cruiser68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)

Quote Originally Posted by 67 mobill 442 View Post
    Wowwww, I got my rotor's replaced about 2 weeks ago. At about 1700 miles. No more clicking. I took the TSB in and gave it to the service writer. Boy did I get lucky. Yeaaa!
    +1 got mine replaced yesterday.....just in time for a track day

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.