Another fix from GM for clicking wheels - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Another fix from GM for clicking wheels in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Fixed mine years ago with a thin coat of permatex. No it's not a TSB, but it worked, easy to ...
    Ross L is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v

Re: Another fix from GM for clicking wheels

Fixed mine years ago with a thin coat of permatex. No it's not a TSB, but it worked, easy to do and no trips to the dealer(no freebee's that dont work). No, my wheels havent come off driving down the road, yes I've even drag raced it. Odd(to me) that this is even still a issue years later. Good luck either way.

Pphilthy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc

Pphilthy, I'm very sorry to hear that you experienced this! I realize how frustrating that must have been; please don't hesitate to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you would like me to contact your dealer at any point and follow up on your behalf!

I'm available to similarly assist anyone who is having concerns regarding their clicking wheel concerns, so feel free to email or send a direct message to me anytime and I can investigate for you!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service
    Thanks for the response Katie - I'll let you how things go... Latest update, I called yesterday to inquire if the lug nuts to support the TSB where in stock (it has been a week since my wasted visit to the dealer) and the service guy (Gary) said no and he would get back to me next week... I do find it odd that Cadillac would issue a TSB and not have the parts available to support it but it may also just be more incompetence from this dealership...

Pphilthy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona
    other than cosmetics the "2 piece" rotors gain you nothing in performance and does not seem to fix the clicking. SO if the clicking isnt fixed by them, why complain, if the lugs works you should be happy.
    Not sure if your post was directed to me, but as I've stated I don't care how Cadillac chooses to address the issue, I just want it resolved.

The two piece rotors also DO offer a performance advantage but I'm not looking to get into another debate/education session on this forum, the grief isn't worth it...

I'll be happy when my car doesn't sound like I have playing cards slapping against spoked wheels - most annoying sound.

4DR_ZR1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Ross L View Post
    Fixed mine years ago with a thin coat of permatex. No it's not a TSB, but it worked, easy to do and no trips to the dealer(no freebee's that dont work). No, my wheels havent come off driving down the road, yes I've even drag raced it. Odd(to me) that this is even still a issue years later. Good luck either way.
    But... that would require an actual 'hands on' experience and I might get dirty or break a fingernail.

I'd have to jack it up, remove the wheels, clean everything, and then smear some yucky permatex on it. Then put the wheels back on and properly re-torque them. What would happen if this actually fixed it? My replacement wheels, 2 piece rotors and lugnuts.... all those lost hours at the dealership? For nothing? And how do I know that your fix will not void my warranty?

No thanks. I would prefer scheduling and taking it to my dealer.. repeatedly. Then I can complain to them and anyone else who will listen.

Besides, the car is still under warranty. I paid $70K for it. Why should I have to do anything but drive it?
    Ross L and Ross L like this.

King335i is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 Thunder Gray CTS-V Coupe

I just wanted to chime in here. I just got my car back after it having been at my local Caddy dealership due to a failing fuel pump control module, while it was in I asked them to address the clicking that had returned. As of the 28th or so of August a new TSB was released that dictates that new lug nuts fix the problem. Three days later my car is still not clicking, so the problem has been fixed in the short term, we will see if it rears its ugly head again. Hope this helps!

hulksdaddy is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): <-----"Hulk" 2000-2012...He will always be missed :-(

We know cleaning fixes it short term, so I'd say you need a bunch of miles on it to really see if the lugs are a fix.

kaoz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan

Anyone know if we can still get the two piece rotors and lug nuts? I'm going to push hard for them.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Highly unlikely but give it a shot. Once the TSB has been updated previous versions usually don't fly.

team_car is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE (YET)

When my wife dropped the car in last week he said he was goin gto do the rotors. Then called and said the TSB had changed and he was doing the lug nuts. She didn't ask for rotors but got the impression it wouldn't have been an option.

ClarkkentCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Thunder gray CTS V

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Veeeee View Post
    Yeah definitely call first, they ordered mine last Friday and they didn't come in until Friday morning on the following. But, you might get lucky .My dealer doesn't carry many parts for the V, but I think these are just standard I was surprised I had to wait so long.
    My dealer confirmed they will have the lug nuts by tomorrow, so I will take it in Thursday. I will let you
    guys know if it resolves the problem.

mother is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 CTS-V Wagon

Well my dealer gave be blue nuts this morning, lets see how long this lasts!

(Work order actually said 'install blue nuts per bulletin')

VMoose is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Stealth Blue Metallic CTS-V Wagon

Is it worth the hassle of having the dealership do the lug nut fix? Has anyone purchased the lug nuts themselves and performed the clean and install?

The only Cadillac dealer I trust right now is about 1.5 hours away and they won't order the lug nuts ahead of time because they want a tech to confirm the noise. That would be two trips to the dealer in a week.

$ tank of gas > $ ordering 10 lug nuts

Guess I could take a chance on my local Chevy / Caddy dealer, although they don't sell or service Vs often.

ClarkkentCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Thunder gray CTS V

I just got the lug nuts replaced on the V. The clicking sound is gone. The service manager which also
    happens to be my neighbor told me if the new lug nuts don't work he knows exactly how to fix it. He said
    he is using my car as the guinie pig and if the nuts don't work he will apply a special coat of anti-seize or
    permatex as mentioned previously in this thread. He told me he has done it to many other CTS-V's and it
    has completely eliminated the problem. So for everyone who does not want to go to the dealer for nuts
    that may or may not fix the clicking, the solution is simple clean and apply a light coat of anti-seize to the
    back of the wheel which makes contact contact with the brake hub. Problem solved and it came straight
    from the horses mouth.

jokerface is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Serviced the car for clicking noise @ 4k miles. Dealer fixed N said all set, just brake dust / gunk build up. @ 6k today got new lug nuts replaced do to clicking. This better be the end of it : / 

MaximumPwr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1012 CTS-V

Instead of going to the dealer, I just ordered the new blue cone lug nuts from gmpartshouse.com. I installed them on the front wheels this weekend. I got lazy and didn't remove the wheel to clean it before installing. To my amazement it worked, the clicking stopped, all quiet again. I still don't know why the new blue lugs stopped the clicking because they don't look much different then the OEM's. They do stick out just a little bit more than the OEM lugs though. If it starts again I'll remove the wheels and clean it like GM suggests. But I hope this does the trick.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.