Another fix from GM for clicking wheels - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Another fix from GM for clicking wheels in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC wow, sounds like something the dealer I deal with would do. I'd still try to get ...
    Pphilthy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC
    wow, sounds like something the dealer I deal with would do. I'd still try to get the rotors if I were you, dunno if they will do it, but the 2 piece are suppose to be a lot better than the others.
    I was thinking about pushing for the two piece rotors, but I figured I would give them a chance to fix it... Ideally I would opt for a slotted two piece rotor, but while under warranty I'll give them some time to fix the problem the way they choose...

larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs

Re: Another fix from GM for clicking wheels

other than cosmetics the "2 piece" rotors gain you nothing in performance and does not seem to fix the clicking. SO if the clicking isnt fixed by them, why complain, if the lugs works you should be happy.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

I like the way they look better, that's why I'd push for them, plus have brand new rotors too.

team_car is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE (YET)

Mine goes in tomorrow with ~1200 miles on it. I'll let you know what they say/do.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Hopefully they will have the new lug nuts in stock, otherwise it will be a wasted trip.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Pphilthy View Post
    Dropped my car off at dealer on Friday, appointment was made two weeks ago - when I called they told me I had to wait that long because they needed to order new rotors... I called them on Thursday after learning about the new lug nuts TSB and they told me they did not hear about that and to just come down and get the new rotors... I get there first thing in Friday morning and while checking in the car I tell the service writer about the new TSB and ask him to confirm they have all parts required before I leave, he tells me the fix is new rotors.

So the whole day goes by and no call from dealer, I called them an hour before closing and ask if my car was done, well guess what, they tell me what I already told them two times already, the new fix is lug nuts and they need to order them. So basically I drove down there for nothing and now have to return again in a week...
    Pphilthy, I'm very sorry to hear that you experienced this! I realize how frustrating that must have been; please don't hesitate to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you would like me to contact your dealer at any point and follow up on your behalf!

I'm available to similarly assist anyone who is having concerns regarding their clicking wheel concerns, so feel free to email or send a direct message to me anytime and I can investigate for you!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

team_car is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE (YET)

Quote Originally Posted by team_car View Post
    Mine goes in tomorrow with ~1200 miles on it. I'll let you know what they say/do.
    They did the lugs. Fixed for now.

Gary Veeeee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV
    Quote Originally Posted by team_car

They did the lugs. Fixed for now.
    Cool, I'm glad to hear that worked . Mine is going in today to repair paint problems and clicking. I hope at least they give me a decent loaner ,it will be there a few days.

MaximumPwr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1012 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by theamcguy View Post
    GM has stated the noise is caused by aluminum to aluminum contact. Then the fix (two piece rotors) still has aluminum to aluminum contact. First off the fix was expensive and did not cure the problem in 100% of the cases. Any fix via a TSB has to work 100% of the time or it is not a fix. We'll see if the lug nuts work 100% of the time. It may end up being that for a 100% fix some cars may need both. What I can't figure out is if the noise is caused by aluminum to aluminum contact why didn't they develop some kind of very tough thin gasket to go between the wheel and rotor.
    I was thinking of the gasket idea myself. My thought was to buy just a large square gasket material and cut it to to fit inside of the rim where it meets with the rotor. Clean rim and rotor and install gasket on rim, mount rim and torque; see if that works. Seems like this would be the cheapest and maybe the best fix for GM. I could be wrong though. I'm no engineer.

Zhariak is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Escalade ESV Platinum, 2013 CTS-V Coupe 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post
    other than cosmetics the "2 piece" rotors gain you nothing in performance and does not seem to fix the clicking. SO if the clicking isnt fixed by them, why complain, if the lugs works you should be happy.
    Actually, that's not totally accurate...

2 piece deal with heat better...

carterb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS,DI gray,prem (sold); 2012 CTS-V sedan, gray, auto

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumPwr View Post
    I was thinking of the gasket idea myself. My thought was to buy just a large square gasket material and cut it to to fit inside of the rim where it meets with the rotor. Clean rim and rotor and install gasket on rim, mount rim and torque; see if that works. Seems like this would be the cheapest and maybe the best fix for GM. I could be wrong though. I'm no engineer.
    I agree with the gasket idea also. Someone (if not GM) ought to make up some of these gaskets to sell and we could replace them ourselves if needed. (Similar to the spare tire by Eurotek).

RGaret is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Veeeee

Cool, I'm glad to hear that worked . Mine is going in today to repair paint problems and clicking. I hope at least they give me a decent loaner ,it will be there a few days.
    Two questions about the new lug nuts:

1. Do the new lugs look like the old ones or will there be a mismatch between front and rear wheels?
    2. What do they do if you have wheel locks?

Quote Originally Posted by RGaret

Two questions about the new lug nuts:

1. Do the new lugs look like the old ones or will there be a mismatch between front and rear wheels?
    2. What do they do if you have wheel locks?
    The lugs don't look any different and they are not mismatch. As far as wheel locks I'm not sure I don't have wheellocks , that's a good question though I'd be curious to know that myself.

ClarkkentCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Thunder gray CTS V

I just noticed my wheels clicking today. Now I just keep listening out for it and it's annoying. I'm going to contact
    the dealer on Monday see if they have the lug nuts in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkkentCTSV
    I just noticed my wheels clicking today. Now I just keep listening out for it and it's annoying. I'm going to contact
    the dealer on Monday see if they have the lug nuts in stock.
    Yeah definitely call first, they ordered mine last Friday and they didn't come in until Friday morning on the following. But, you might get lucky .My dealer doesn't carry many parts for the V, but I think these are just standard I was surprised I had to wait so long.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.